Stahlman Point Trail

Stahlman Point Trail is a 4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Gates, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

skiing

old growth

Directions from Detroit: From Detroit Ranger Station travel east on Hwy. 22 for 4.5 miles; turn right onto Blowout Road #10; go about 3.5 miles to trailhead.

Initially did this hike as a snowshoe trip on New Years Day. Pulled into trailhead with trace amounts of snow on ground so we left snowshoes in car & started the hike up. Trail is well defined & not too strenuous. About 3/4th of the way up, we ran into heavy deep snow but snow plowed our way to the top. Views of Detroit lake, Mt. Jefferson & the canyon below were amazing. Fantastic hike. Descent wasn’t a problem. Great January hike.

Love that you can see Mt. Jefferson and Detroit Lake at the top. It was a trek uphill but very do-able.

Amazing view! It is all uphill but the view the entire time, especially at the end is wonderful.

My wife and I hiked this trail today. I gave it a 5 star rating because of the views from the top. I would say this hike is on the tougher end of a moderate hike. Most of the way to the peak is uphill. We thought the first half mile of the hike was the toughest. Most of the hike, except for about the last 1/8th of a mile is through the forest and you are shaded most of the way. At the top, there was a nice breeze blowing, so even though it was sunny, it wasn't too hot. We didn't have our kids with us but we did see other young children, the youngest being 3-4 years old. I think kids would do fine if you took frequent stops. It took us 1.5 hours to get to the top and 1 hour back down. There are not a lot of parking spaces available(maybe 8-10 cars can fit here). We cooled off in the lake after the hike.

Took my 12 year old son on an early morning hike, and we both absolutely loved it. Going back in a couple days with the addition of my teenage daughter.

Awesome view within an hour and 15 of Salem! When my dog and I did this, it was pretty hot out (mid-upper eighties) and hiking even in the understory felt stifling since there wasn’t much breeze until the top. On a sunny day, the resting place at the top can be pretty intense, so if you plan to enjoy lunch there definitely bring sunscreen! That being said, this is my favorite hike close to Salem!

Nice trail. Narrow and steep in parts. 1300 foot elevation gain. View at top spectacular and worth it. Few trees on trail removed on 7/2/18. Enjoy it!!

Very nice hike. Beautiful view of the lake and Mt. Jefferson.

Not too steep. There’s enough straight ground in between the steep parts to recover :-).
My 7 year old struggled just a little bit, but did great with a couple breaks. I held her hand on a couple stretches of trail where she was slipping (loose, gravely dirt/dust) Took us like 4 hours.
Beautiful, view at top was sooo worth it. Be advised, there are a few fallen trees that everyone in your party will have to be in well enough shape to straddle and climb over or small enough (child) to fit under. Also to reach the summit, you’ll need to be able to find your fitting and climb up some steep, crumbling rock, then back down-there’s drop offs all around.
I’d say experienced hikers would do better on this one. Leave littles at home for the next hike.

beautiful!!

Hiked this on June 22. Great hike.

Even though it was foggy and drizzling and there were a couple fallen logs we had to climb over, it was an amazing hike. In fact, go on a rainy day! When the trails are empty! The sun will come out once you get to the top.

Easy hike, beautiful view. Top is a little bit sketchy, but that's about it.

The view is so pretty.

The trail is a little narrow in spots but was a great hike and the view at the top was worth all the incline. make sure to bring lots of water and snacks, we brought our dog and he had a blast but remember that pets get tired, thirsty and hot just like us and sometimes sooner depending on their coat so be prepared.

it's been a few years since I have done a first half all incline hike. It was a challenge but that's because of the time I have spent away from the trails. right when I was ready to give up, I heard the group of people in front of me cheer with Glee. a few minutes later I joined the others at the ending reward and it was worth it. this trail would be considered moderate in my previous hiking all the time self. enjoy!

Great workout even though my group took it slow. The view point was worth it.

Beautiful! Small parking lot. Straight incline for the whole way up, but not too steep.

Love this hike will come back again soon steady elevation

Great hike! All the snow has melted and the view at the top is amazing!

what a great hike. Today (3/31/18) was cloudy but perfect. The trail is quite narrow but not over grown, with the exception of a couple of downed trees. There is pretty consistent elevation gain, especially at the top. we hit some snow and mud, I would recommend good hiking boots and a camera because the view is amazing!

Gorgeous views from the top. Minimal snow to cross near the end of the trail. Easy road to get to the trailhead.

Hiked this on 3/30, a little bit of snow left but very much passable. We wore boots and were glad as the snow is about ankle deep when it’s not compacted. Beautiful hike for a beautiful day!

3/29/18...two and a half miles with some good elevation gain. Snow near the top, about 1/8 mile worth but no difficulty walking. Good early season conditioning hike. Took us an hour and 40 minutes, a younger hiker behind us made it in an hour and 15. Limited parking, room for about six cars. Excellent view of Mt. Jefferson and eastern part of Detroit lake.

We went on this hike yesterday without checking the weather conditions. It was very snowy on the trail and got deeper as we went. What we could make of the trail was quite narrow, and at times it felt like we were walking along the edge of a cliff (side of the mountain). I used some of the deeper snow to help steady my footing (some reaching to my knees), but I still ended up slipping and falling far too many times to count. At least the snow is soft padding. The trail takes you through some rocky areas with snow run-off that are pleasant to look at. Like others said, the trail longer than noted, at least 5 miles round trip according to my phone. The final stretch to the top is very steep and I sort of had to climb in the snowy dirt and have my boyfriend push me up to the top. Once we got there, the view of the lake was beautiful. Walking back was slick, and unfortunately it started getting dark. There were narrow snow trenches we had to carefully walk through. I like to believe the hike would’ve been more enjoyable without the cold and snow. We did feel accomplished once we completed it though. I would recommend getting an early start and keeping snacks and warm clothing with you.

This hike is truly worth it! One of our favorites! We will definitely do again! Incredible views from the top!

This was a great hike! Definitely appropriately rated, not hard but not easy. It's a skinnier trail, but we'll maintained. there were a lot of down trees in one section, but crews appeared to have cut through them. Constant, but gradual elevation gain the whole way up. We went on a misty day, but we were still able to get a great view of the lake! Would love to do this hike again!

Steady climb but nothing too strenuous, worth the climb even on a cloudy day. Definitely will do it again when we can see the mountains!

The View was amazing once you got there. But it should definitely be rated as hard not moderate. Kicked all of our butts, had some of our party turn and go back.

It was an amazing hike! The trek up seemed never ending but totally worth every single step! The view was incredible!