Stahlman Point Trail is a 4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Gates, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Detroit: From Detroit Ranger Station travel east on Hwy. 22 for 4.5 miles; turn right onto Blowout Road #10; go about 3.5 miles to trailhead.

One of my favorite hikes in Oregon that often gets overlooked. The view from the top is always worth it. Easy hike, well maintained trail and dog friendly.

My dog and I LOVED this trail.

Not too hard of a hike. Pretty view of Mt. Jefferson.

Great hike

Great hike on a highly used trail. Met 1 guy coming down as I was going up. Got to the top and had it all to myself for quite some time.
Very tricky and rocky path to ascend and descend from the top.
Ran into 5 other couples going up as I was going down.
Was on this hike to look for Christmas tree ornaments placed by the ranger district. Struck out. No Sunflower on this hike.

great little hike. made it up right at sunset. the trail is well maintained enough to make it most the way back in the dark. very nice and easily accessible

Great views and quality hike! Would love to come back when there is snow!

The hike was amazing until we reached the top and were swarmed by bees. They’d bite us, not sting. But other than that the scenery was incredible. On a clear day you can see Mount Jefferson.

The hike is uphill basically the entire time. Just an FYI. Enjoy!

Pretty hike- tougher than I was thinking but a good workout! Nice views at the top. View was kind of obstructed from the wildfire smoke. Parking lot is small so come early!

Good hike not to long, good for a afternoon hike two to three hour hike up and down, view point is a little to small at the top, it can get over crowded really easy, but is a nice view.

Great hike with multiple families ranging in age from 4-44. Took an hour and ten to get up the 2.1 miles and just under an hour to get down. The view is pretty wonderful!!

Good hike, with beautiful views at the top. Only downfall was no shade at the top, and our dogs were hot so we went right back down. Good incline in your way up!

Initially did this hike as a snowshoe trip on New Years Day. Pulled into trailhead with trace amounts of snow on ground so we left snowshoes in car & started the hike up. Trail is well defined & not too strenuous. About 3/4th of the way up, we ran into heavy deep snow but snow plowed our way to the top. Views of Detroit lake, Mt. Jefferson & the canyon below were amazing. Fantastic hike. Descent wasn’t a problem. Great January hike.

Love that you can see Mt. Jefferson and Detroit Lake at the top. It was a trek uphill but very do-able.

Amazing view! It is all uphill but the view the entire time, especially at the end is wonderful.

My wife and I hiked this trail today. I gave it a 5 star rating because of the views from the top. I would say this hike is on the tougher end of a moderate hike. Most of the way to the peak is uphill. We thought the first half mile of the hike was the toughest. Most of the hike, except for about the last 1/8th of a mile is through the forest and you are shaded most of the way. At the top, there was a nice breeze blowing, so even though it was sunny, it wasn't too hot. We didn't have our kids with us but we did see other young children, the youngest being 3-4 years old. I think kids would do fine if you took frequent stops. It took us 1.5 hours to get to the top and 1 hour back down. There are not a lot of parking spaces available(maybe 8-10 cars can fit here). We cooled off in the lake after the hike.

Took my 12 year old son on an early morning hike, and we both absolutely loved it. Going back in a couple days with the addition of my teenage daughter.
It's mainly uphill, but nice and shaded for most of the trail. The view from the point is amazing. I've gone twice now in the last 2 weeks.

Awesome view within an hour and 15 of Salem! When my dog and I did this, it was pretty hot out (mid-upper eighties) and hiking even in the understory felt stifling since there wasn’t much breeze until the top. On a sunny day, the resting place at the top can be pretty intense, so if you plan to enjoy lunch there definitely bring sunscreen! That being said, this is my favorite hike close to Salem!

Nice trail. Narrow and steep in parts. 1300 foot elevation gain. View at top spectacular and worth it. Few trees on trail removed on 7/2/18. Enjoy it!!

Very nice hike. Beautiful view of the lake and Mt. Jefferson.

Not too steep. There’s enough straight ground in between the steep parts to recover :-).
My 7 year old struggled just a little bit, but did great with a couple breaks. I held her hand on a couple stretches of trail where she was slipping (loose, gravely dirt/dust) Took us like 4 hours.
Beautiful, view at top was sooo worth it. Be advised, there are a few fallen trees that everyone in your party will have to be in well enough shape to straddle and climb over or small enough (child) to fit under. Also to reach the summit, you’ll need to be able to find your fitting and climb up some steep, crumbling rock, then back down-there’s drop offs all around.
I’d say experienced hikers would do better on this one. Leave littles at home for the next hike.

beautiful!!

Hiked this on June 22. Great hike.

Even though it was foggy and drizzling and there were a couple fallen logs we had to climb over, it was an amazing hike. In fact, go on a rainy day! When the trails are empty! The sun will come out once you get to the top.

Easy hike, beautiful view. Top is a little bit sketchy, but that's about it.

The view is so pretty.

The trail is a little narrow in spots but was a great hike and the view at the top was worth all the incline. make sure to bring lots of water and snacks, we brought our dog and he had a blast but remember that pets get tired, thirsty and hot just like us and sometimes sooner depending on their coat so be prepared.

it's been a few years since I have done a first half all incline hike. It was a challenge but that's because of the time I have spent away from the trails. right when I was ready to give up, I heard the group of people in front of me cheer with Glee. a few minutes later I joined the others at the ending reward and it was worth it. this trail would be considered moderate in my previous hiking all the time self. enjoy!

Great workout even though my group took it slow. The view point was worth it.

Beautiful! Small parking lot. Straight incline for the whole way up, but not too steep.