Stahlman Point Trail

Stahlman Point Trail is a 4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Gates, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

skiing

old growth

Directions from Detroit: From Detroit Ranger Station travel east on Hwy. 22 for 4.5 miles; turn right onto Blowout Road #10; go about 3.5 miles to trailhead.

Even though it was foggy and drizzling and there were a couple fallen logs we had to climb over, it was an amazing hike. In fact, go on a rainy day! When the trails are empty! The sun will come out once you get to the top.

Easy hike, beautiful view. Top is a little bit sketchy, but that's about it.

The view is so pretty.

The trail is a little narrow in spots but was a great hike and the view at the top was worth all the incline. make sure to bring lots of water and snacks, we brought our dog and he had a blast but remember that pets get tired, thirsty and hot just like us and sometimes sooner depending on their coat so be prepared.

it's been a few years since I have done a first half all incline hike. It was a challenge but that's because of the time I have spent away from the trails. right when I was ready to give up, I heard the group of people in front of me cheer with Glee. a few minutes later I joined the others at the ending reward and it was worth it. this trail would be considered moderate in my previous hiking all the time self. enjoy!

Great workout even though my group took it slow. The view point was worth it.

Beautiful! Small parking lot. Straight incline for the whole way up, but not too steep.

Love this hike will come back again soon steady elevation

Great hike! All the snow has melted and the view at the top is amazing!

what a great hike. Today (3/31/18) was cloudy but perfect. The trail is quite narrow but not over grown, with the exception of a couple of downed trees. There is pretty consistent elevation gain, especially at the top. we hit some snow and mud, I would recommend good hiking boots and a camera because the view is amazing!

Gorgeous views from the top. Minimal snow to cross near the end of the trail. Easy road to get to the trailhead.

Hiked this on 3/30, a little bit of snow left but very much passable. We wore boots and were glad as the snow is about ankle deep when it’s not compacted. Beautiful hike for a beautiful day!

3/29/18...two and a half miles with some good elevation gain. Snow near the top, about 1/8 mile worth but no difficulty walking. Good early season conditioning hike. Took us an hour and 40 minutes, a younger hiker behind us made it in an hour and 15. Limited parking, room for about six cars. Excellent view of Mt. Jefferson and eastern part of Detroit lake.

We went on this hike yesterday without checking the weather conditions. It was very snowy on the trail and got deeper as we went. What we could make of the trail was quite narrow, and at times it felt like we were walking along the edge of a cliff (side of the mountain). I used some of the deeper snow to help steady my footing (some reaching to my knees), but I still ended up slipping and falling far too many times to count. At least the snow is soft padding. The trail takes you through some rocky areas with snow run-off that are pleasant to look at. Like others said, the trail longer than noted, at least 5 miles round trip according to my phone. The final stretch to the top is very steep and I sort of had to climb in the snowy dirt and have my boyfriend push me up to the top. Once we got there, the view of the lake was beautiful. Walking back was slick, and unfortunately it started getting dark. There were narrow snow trenches we had to carefully walk through. I like to believe the hike would’ve been more enjoyable without the cold and snow. We did feel accomplished once we completed it though. I would recommend getting an early start and keeping snacks and warm clothing with you.

This hike is truly worth it! One of our favorites! We will definitely do again! Incredible views from the top!

This was a great hike! Definitely appropriately rated, not hard but not easy. It's a skinnier trail, but we'll maintained. there were a lot of down trees in one section, but crews appeared to have cut through them. Constant, but gradual elevation gain the whole way up. We went on a misty day, but we were still able to get a great view of the lake! Would love to do this hike again!

Steady climb but nothing too strenuous, worth the climb even on a cloudy day. Definitely will do it again when we can see the mountains!

The View was amazing once you got there. But it should definitely be rated as hard not moderate. Kicked all of our butts, had some of our party turn and go back.

It was an amazing hike! The trek up seemed never ending but totally worth every single step! The view was incredible!

Great day hike.

About kicked my but. Loved this hike. Plan to put it on my annual list. Not for the timid. A beautiful 360° view. Respect the beauty of the forest and leave no trace.

Great trail, love the single tracks. The view is beautiful and very much worth the effort.

Such a beautiful day. Very crisp and the sun even came out! Little to no snow with some cloud coverage.

Could see little pieces of Mt. Jefferson. Loved this hike!

Frosty but not slick. A sunny day in December, 28 degrees and barely any snow, only at that bend on the north slope. Amazing views from the summit. Detroit Lake is a stream, Mt. Jefferson is splendid with snow cover.

Loved hiking this trail today. It was quiet and well maintained. Fun to hike through some snow as well! It was a good workout and the view was totally worth it!

Hiked to the top but only saw smoke due to the recent fire. Will return once the air clears!

Got rerouted today when the trail head I was planning on turned out to be closed. Beautiful fall hike. Vine maples steal the show in the fall. Lots of rhodies that I imagine make for a gorgeous spring hike. Smashing view of Jefferson at the peak.

This was a steep climb, but the views were totally worth it. My dog enjoyed it too.

a bit of a strenuous hike, but not bad. it's all uphill. the views at the summit is totally worth it!!

I've trekked this trail almost 5 times, and each one is different and better than the last. It's breathtaking and ever changing. The trail itself is fairly easy, until the end which becomes pretty steep. So be prepared. Definitely a great choice for dogs and children!