Springwater on the Wilamette, North Woodland and Bluff Trail Loop

Springwater on the Wilamette, North Woodland and Bluff Trail Loop is a 3.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Portland, Oregon that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 219 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

This is a nice walk or mountain bike ride along a wetland full of birds with a return along the Willamette River. This is a great place to go bird watching. You will follow a path along the east side of a wetland area where you may see some Flycatchers or even ospreys that nest nearby. Once you get to the northern parking area you will turn around and then return via the beautiful Springwater bike trail.

I like the variety on the trail, from grassy flatland to the woods to wetlands to the Springwater along the Willamette. The screams from people on rides at oaks bottom park are annoying.

The hike was nice for the most part. What I did not like. The rules are Dogs on leash, most weren’t and when the path turned to pavement o many bikers whizzing by.

Super cute little walk! Saw a deer and some baby ducks! The only downside is that it’s a pretty busy area so lots of activity!

Great little afternoon walk . You can park by the dog park and have it off leash and releash for the trail

A basic meandering trail mostly in within the wetlands. It does bring you onto the Springwater Corridor, which can get busy. The trail itself was easy to navigate.

Fun.

Description says loop. however, the bike path portion that makes the loop is closed towards sellwood. so I turned back and got turned around, they have done some new upgrades that stabilized the decent from the parking lot. Trail is in good shape for the most part. I like that the hiking section is off limits to cyclists. our hike was almost 4 miles, with the extra re-route. (that matters to a 8 month corgi)

The western paved portion is not so hot, especially on a nice day that brings out many cyclists. One can avoid that by going out and back on the east side. Good for waterfowl in the winter, but muddy.

Thursday, May 31, 2018

My second visit, walking the loop around Oaks Bottom Lake, this time with Mom. We saw tons of wildlife, and it was a perfect weather day.

Monday, May 21, 2018

We parked at Sellwood Park and started from there. The beginning was ok - saw lots of birds - got a good pic of geese with their goslings. However, it ends up on a paved road (Spring Water Corridor) and we walked that back with bikers blazing by us....very boring and even though it was maybe 3 miles, it felt like 10 because of the walk back. I think though this would be a good beginner, introductory hike for someone new to it...better than sitting indoors!

Sunday, May 13, 2018

boring.

Saturday, April 28, 2018

Ok trip that is conveniently near Portland. It never really gives a feel like you are away from the urban center, though.

Thursday, April 26, 2018

Nice loop with 4 adults, 1 kid, and 2 babies. Lots of wildlife: wood ducks, a heron, a bald eagle, and more! I much preferred the trail half in the woods. The stretch on the paved trail was a bit dicey with bikes zooming by and no real shoulder to step off to the side. Lots of roots and some mud on the trail, but my friend’s Bob stroller handled it just fine! Parked at the amusement park.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Great trail in the middle of the metro area!

Wednesday, February 07, 2018

Dry and no mud today. Some cool birds in the swamp.

Sunday, January 21, 2018

3 bald eagles and an osprey!

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Not what I was use to. This is definitely an inner city “nature” hike. Over half of the view was of graffiti on old abandoned looking buildings.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Not a bad trail. Pretty easy, good for beginners.

Saturday, October 07, 2017

Magical! I wish it were closer to the water, though. Also the amount of party trash and evidence of/presence of vagrants was unsettling. I wish the loop didn’t include the bike path, and I wish you could get back to the parking lot without totally retracing. (Plus, that hill is killer when you’re tired.)

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Easy hike, did it with a 60 year old smoker. She had a rough time but completed it!

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Monday, July 24, 2017

First time there. Really perfect for me as I live in Milwaukie so not to far. Love the well maintained trails and no campers along the way. Its my new favorite spot!!! Thanks to all the volunteers to keep it ideal!!

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Great trail, a lot to see. Just be aware of the homeless encampments in the bushes to the right, opposite side of the water. Wear mosquito repellent!!!

Monday, May 22, 2017

Beautiful wildlife sites. It felt like a story book marsh. Even went on a rainy day and so happy I chose to be outside here. Loved the juxtaposition of the buildings behind the trees. Very restorative.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Excellent close in hike.

Monday, December 12, 2016

I had a lovely solo hike here on a quiet Sunday in December. The trail was muddy in spots due to recent rains/snow, and the wetlands were high with water! Plenty of squirrels and ducks sighted. The route started in Sellwood to the south, went clockwise around the lake and all the way up to near McLoughlin Blvd and then back along the bluff trail. Gorgeous views of the Willamette along the Springwater trail, and the view of Oaks Park across the lake in the afternoon is magical. Even the rather ominous Portland Mausoleum has a friendly look when viewed from the Bluff trail. I highly recommend this hike.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

This was our second time giving this trail a try, as last time we took a wrong turn, and ended up off the populated part of the trail, before we got too thick into the homeless camps, we decided to turn around and take the paved trail to Sellwood. I think trail markers, and/or a trail map would be a wonderful investment. This time around was nice, lots of Squirrels running about. We definitely want to give this a go one more time when the wetlands are a little more wet, hopefully after the leaf fall, we'll get to see more wildlife. Definitely worth the walk!

Monday, August 22, 2016

Nice trail, unfortunately one part was permanently closed.

Monday, August 15, 2016