Spencer Butte Trail

Spencer Butte Trail is a 1.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Eugene, Oregon that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This hike is righteous any time of year. It has numerous trailheads with about three levels of difficulty, none of which are THAT difficult, but the short trailhead does have a small scramble.

My first time was in winter after an ice storm a cpl January's ago. From the big parking lot on Willamette St near Glenfiddich there's a cpl trailheads, the .7 mi "hard" that has a nice middle point that has good views of the valley towards the coast then at the top you get a nice panoramic of the valley, the coast range, and the sisters. maybe mt hood on a nice day. ..I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure .

my favorite way to go, since I have to access the trail by public transit, is the Fox Hollow trailhead. it's actually the Ridgeline trail, off Fox hollow. there's a bus stop near fox hollow and Saratoga that adds half a mile to the hike if you need public transit, it's not bad. the fox hollow route is basically an out and back that switchbacks and connects trails. it's all pretty easy to figure out using this app or the signage.

You can do this hike alone, as I have every time, but it'd be a lot cooler with a friend or s.o. or family. Be sure to bring a light if you're coming down after sunset. I've started at about 6pm and made sunset perfect timing and not had to be in too much dark.

go do this hike!

If you go to the main entrance there are two paths you can take once you approach the large sign with the map. If you take the left you won’t be disappointed. Pretty short but very steep, lots of rocks, and the view from the top is amazing. Found myself wondering if I was even on a trail at times! Go down the other side to head back to the parking lot once you’re ready to leave the top, will make your hike just a bit longer.

great hike and view. Even though it rained, still had a great view!

Took my 5 1/2 year old and we completed it at a good pace in no time. Beautiful trail, great people as always.

Lovely view from the top!!

I went on a beautiful Sunday afternoon and super crowded! Nonetheless, super beautiful view of Eugene/Springfield.

So fun! Went up the steep trail and down the main path. Was busy but fun!

fun hike with great views of the city. you can even see autzen.

The difficulty of this hike is highly dependent on your fitness level. It’s primarily uphill until you reach the viewpoint which offers spectacular views of Eugene. Well marked and easy to find. Heavily trafficked.

Hiked it this morning and it's absolutely breathless! I would consider this an easy hike, but it depends how fit you are

great view at the top!!

Nicely maintained switchback trail through the woods. This trail saves the strenuous part until the end. There are a series of stone steps, quite steep but not too hard. The view makes it a five star hike.

Good maintained trail. We started hiking about 8am and were done around 11. We did take our time and take plenty of pictures at the top. Very pretty! We went on a sunny day and it was absolutely beautiful!

Did this at 8 in the morning in December, and it was nice and peaceful but by the time we were down at 930 there were quite a lot of people so go early to avoid crowds!

The whole trail is already beautiful but the peak is just breathtaking! It’s a pretty populated trail so if you like solitude, this probably isn’t the trail for you. Expect it to be a bit muddy and/or slippery if it has rained recently. This a trail for all ages and I’ll definitely be coming back!

This trail is very well maintained but also super muddy if there’s a good rain before you go. If you don’t like to be around a bunch of people when you hike, I wouldn’t recommend this one. There were a lot of people when I did it. But the views were beautiful.

Went at dusk and took a flashlight. Only saw one person going up. It was a great hike for a Saturday evening.

Moderate with steps at the top. Started in the dark and saw the sunrise. Breathtaking views. Highly recommend . Not many people on a early Monday morning in oct

This trail is very crowded on a Saturday but fun. If you are not pretty fit you will huff and puff on the way up. The footing is a bit slippery but all in all the trip is worth it.

A first for our family! Enjoyed immensely!

There is an easy side and a hard side. If you take the hard side pay attention to where you are going. It is easy to lose the trail at the top and follow the super hard path. Still tons of fun and a nice short hike with a great view. The trail leading up is also beautiful and worth stopping to look around every now and again.

It's definitely a moderate hike. Be prepared for a lot of people, especially on a beautiful day. The steps at the top are the most challenging part. Take trekking poles if you've got them!

Love it

I hike this beauty every Friday!!! Right before sunrise!!!

Love this Butte , I hike it every week. The squirrels at the top are very friendly and will sit in your lap and eat lunch with you. My favorite hiking destination in the Eugene/Springfield area.

Very populated so don't pick this one if you're looking for a quiet place to think. The trial itself is beautiful and well cared for. It's a great uphill workout and dog friendly. I'll definitely hike this one again!

Very popular spot.

This is a great trail that stats out easy, and gets hard at the end (stairs).

I hiked this trail for the first time today. I met some wonderful people, and I took my time to take in the view at the summit. I'm a big guy so I had to take a few breathers on my way up, but it is definitely doable. All around a great trail.

I took my 9 month old granddaughter on my back, my dog, and my 6 year old granddaughter. We had a great time.