South Trail

South Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cloverdale, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Return route for South Trail

Check the tide schedules and approach this trail toward low tide for the best experience. I hiked the Cape Lookout trail first (approx 1:15) so that I could come back to this one for a swim break. It was the most refreshing invigorating thing I've ever had the pleasure of doing mid-hike. Low tide leaves many tide pools and wildlife on the beach. The views are spectacular! Also had a very close encounter with deer on the way back up.
The steep grades can be hard on the knees going down and tough on the stamina going up. Pace yourself for your fitness level.

The vistas were not as dramatic as the cape trail, but for awhile we were the only folks on the beautiful beach that is this hike's destination. This beautiful short hike is memorable for the way it takes one into what seems like another world.

It was busy at noon on a Friday, but that didn't hinder our experience. Its a 800 ft hike up switchbacks on the way back though, which I would've preferred to start with and then go back down, but thats obviously not an option when you're hiking to a beach. Be careful with your ankles on the roots! Pup pulled me over a couple of them...

One of the most crowded places you could ever find. Parking lot full at 9 am Thursday morning. "Moderately Trafficked" is ultra false.

geocaching

Hike was well worth the secluded beach. Kids loved it!

Beautiful trail, a bit muddy in some spots.

Great hike today. Hard on knees going down hill, and a good workout coming back up. Took us 70 minutes each way. Wonderful beach with tide pools at bottom.

Beautiful lush forest ending with an amazing beach. We saw a bald eagle over looking the beach. Hike up hill is challenging if you are not in pretty good shape.

I enjoyed this nifty trail. It's all downhill for the first leg, which brings you to the beach. The ocean waves call your name the whole way down. Then you have a somewhat challenging uphill climb back to the parking lot.

Stunning views of the ocean! Still a little muddy in spots and a little more difficult than I anticipated but a very pretty hike. The trail ends at a beautiful secluded beach with very few people on it.

Beautiful day while having the beach to ourselves. The trail was really muddy but worth it.

The payoff on this hike is pretty fantastic. We had a beautiful day today and made it down quickly to the beach. We did plenty of walking and running along the beach and had racked up 6 miles by the time we marched back up to the trailhead. Trail is in good condition, but I doubt it ever completely dries out, so be ready for some mud and wet roots/rocks. Footwear with good traction is a real plus on this one.