South Slough National Estuarine Research Reserve

South Slough National Estuarine Research Reserve is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Coos Bay, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The South Slough is one of my favorite nature walk/hike adventure.
We had beautiful weather today so we headed out there around 2pm. We took the long trail and it took us about 2 hours at an easy pace with a few rests.
Very well maintained trails and bathrooms.
Maps are available at the interpretive center by the bathrooms.

Love this trail. The trail is easy on footing. But the hills can make it a bit more moderate of a trail to me.
It seems to be more than 2.2 miles long.
Best to start at the interpreter center, this way you are going down step hill first instead of waling up the step hill when you are tired.
Beautifying views

has such a great time looking out the new decks over the marsh. Nobody on the trails. beautiful walk and so well kept. We will be back with a sack lunch next time.

Nice, easy hike. There were signs for bees, but we did not encounter any. The trail was very well maintained. There were lots of boardwalks and viewing areas. The visitor center is closed on Monday which meant the bathrooms were closed. We gave this a 4-star because there were lots of options on ways to go, but without a map, it was not clear on how to complete the loop.

I love this hike. It is beautiful but it is close to the ocean so it can be chilly at times. I start at the bottom of the hill trail head so the last mile is up hill. I would say that part is more moderate than easy...It is a very nice hike though. fyi: I am over weight and 56 years old.

one of my favorite trails

Great easy/moderate depending on the ages/fitness of the hikers. Our kids really enjoy this trail.

Beautiful hike. Well maintained trails.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Neat way to learn about the ecosystem of the area. They do tours certain times of the year to teach kids about the types of plants animals and fungus that grows. Also a nice walk.

Thursday, July 27, 2017

This is a beautiful area and I never get tired of exploring it.

Monday, July 24, 2017

CAUTION!!!

There are several ground hornet hives near the beginning of the Hidden Creek Trail.

The coordinates to the first hive we came across is approximately 43.294, -124.330 just be a bend in the trail. There are several other hives near those coordinates.

My wife is highly allergic to bee and hornet stings. We had to use her epi-pen and rush towards Bandon to the closest hospital. We called 911 and an ambulance met us just south of Bandon Dunes.

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Really pretty walk. The platform walk through the skunk weed was suowe cool! There are a lot of trails to choose from along the way which made finding our way a little challenging. Thank goodness for the app because it helped lead us out.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

took the 4 of us 2 hours ( at leisure) such a great.

Monday, February 27, 2017

a family favorite

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Amazing trail.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

I love this trail. There is so much beauty around every corner. The signage is really informative. I've hiked this trail a dozen or so times and it never gets old.

Saturday, July 02, 2016

I would have given this 5 stars except for one thing, there was great signage but no mileage on most. It would have been nice to get an estimate on signage how far you had to travel. lucky for me I grabbed a brochure with map at the center and it mostly had mileage. I tried mapping with the app but 1st time out did not get it right. Best part is the boardwalks they built over the swamp area and all the skunk cabbage was undamaged and could be photographed. Have to go again, different times of year, I did not see it all, or walk it all. loved it.

Monday, April 18, 2016

I've hiked this trail at least 20 times with my kids . Its always an adventure .

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Well maintained. Gorgeous scenery.

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Beautiful scenery

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

This is a well-maintained fairly heavily trafficked trail that allows visitors to view a variety of habitat types. There are tons of mushrooms and other tiny hidden gems, some picturesque scenes of the slough, and a neat walk through a more marshy area with a raised wood trail. Its worth a visit, especially if you like to take photos, but not very strenuous.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Beautiful. Lots of cool mushrooms to discover if your very observant. If you go you must walk through the tunnel trail. Perfect trail for a small day hike.