South Sister Summit

South Sister Summit is a 11.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bend, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

skiing

Hard Hike! Millions of butterflies at the summit right now which is a sight in itself! Mosquitos for the first few miles, but you lose them after Moraine Lake.

If the forecast permits, I highly recommend carrying your gear to the summit and camping there. Rock shelters are built to shield you from the wind though the wind still may keep you up from time to time by shaking the tent. It is one hell of a place to wake up.

Stayed at Moraine lake. Great sky views. Great climb. Very rigorous. So many butterflies, which I can't find out why they are even there. Stunning views. If you don't start early the sun will really get you.

Hiked on July 19th and the trail still has snow in some spots. We used micro spikes and made it with no problems. I saw others with just their hiking boots and they didn't seem to have any problems either. Took us a long time about 10 hours round-trip...because I'm pretty slow. But we made it to the summit and the views are absolutely beautiful. The trail was not crowded at all. Next time we may camp and spend more time.

July 8 '17 Summit- Much of the hike is still covered by snow. It begins covering the trail well below treeline. You should have some route-finding skills and be comfortable traveling on snow.

The snow was pretty good on the way up, some people used crampons or microspikes, I did see some people with just hiking boots. The snow ended once you begin up the screen slope below Lewis Glacier. If you need to filter water, this lake is open. The ridge to the summit is clear of snow. The lake at the summit is still frozen over. Summit was great! Bring a jacket, it was a little windy. We hung out for about an hour and headed down.

The snow was pretty sticky on the way down. I did see some people with skis. Make sure you have sunscreen, and plenty of water (I drank over 100oz) or bring your filter. If you're not an ultramarathoner plan for a full day.

Beautiful views, goes through forest. The start is a nice stream. It was well snowed in mid-July. The summit offered amazing views off all the cascade mountains from Shasta to Mt. St. Helens :) We backpacked up to moraine lake, then summited the next day.

Essentials are sunglasses for the snow, bug spray, and sun screen. Also, if you can pack as light as you can !!! If backpacking, take a small summit pack to summit. Leave the backpacking packs. Trekking poles also really help. You will drink a lot, so bring water filters to have water, and if you can a small backpacking stove to melt snow if necessary. Don't go off trail, if so take a compass, map or GPS device, you could get lost in the wilderness!

One of the best hikes I've ever been on. The views are incredible and definitely make the final grueling half mile worth it. Bring plenty of water, sunscreen and get an early start. I hit the trail head down at Devil's lake at around 6 and was at the summit by 10.

This trail is very hard. If you are looking for challenge this is it. We made it to about 8,800ft before we turned around.

Make sure you have the following items:

Bug spray, sunscreen, hat/visor/beanie, glasses/goggles, long sleeve breathable shirt, gloves, water proof shoes/boots, water filter, hiking stick.

If you have all of these items and start the summit before the sun rises, you should make it up the trail easily.

We started at 10:42 and turned around at about 3pm. The sun and mosquitoes ate us alive. Around 12pm the snow blindness started hitting us, and at around 1pm we ran out of water. Additionally, try and set markers to follow your trail back. We ended up veering off trail and faced a cliff during our return! Had to back track... made for a good time. We packed too heavy, expecting an overnight but this climb can be done in around 6hrs in and back if you pack light and smart.

We will meet again South Sister! We are going to try to summit again this year.

This is my favorite hike in Oregon. I've done it several times and the combination of the views and challenging terrain plus the opportunity to stand on a 10k peak make it a must do.

July 2017 note: Unbelievable snow levels on the mountain right now. You'll be on snow within 1 mile of the trailhead.