New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

South Silver Falls

South Silver Falls is a 2.1 mile loop trail located near Silverton, Oregon that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.1 miles Elevation Gain: 59 feet Route Type: Loop

$5 fee, there is a big parking lot.

beautiful hike, but no waterfalls on this trail as someone mentioned

Love the fact you can walk down to and behind. Multiple trails and views to be enjoyed by all.

very easy and the hike behind the falls is great

I wouldn’t consider this a hike, but the path to the falls is relatively easy (there is an incline on the way back up, but it’s short). Every time I go I make sure it’s late Oct or Nov (less people) & if you catch it on a rainy day you’ll see hardly anyone else there.

This is the best “easy” hike in the park, in my opinion! Walking behind South Falls is always incredible, even if it does get a bit crowded sometimes. If going on a weekend in summer, expect crowds!

This was truly a short amazing hike. I had no idea of all of the waterfalls in this small area. We were just driving back to the airport in Portland and wanted a quick sight. WOW. I only wish I had time to do the 10 mile loop. For those of you, definitely make time for this. There is also a cafe and the food smelled delicious but just not at the right time for me to eat. I would definitely come home all the falls and then hang out eating. What a well kept area!!!

This place is beautiful! ofcourse right?! We drove from CA to here at night to hike in the am. I suggest come early if you want to beat the crowds. Double check, we saw signs for no dogs allowed on the trails. we hiked for 3 hours. saw 2 waterfalls and had to turn back to meet family. I do plan to visit again and finish all 10 waterfalls. I will update my review then. Definitely worth it. Pretty easy. Struggled on the hills a bit. Bad knees.

Errrr no water fall on this trail. Followed the map to a T

We got a late start to our hike today. Parking lot was 1/4 full at 10:45 Sunday morning. By the time we returned at noon, it was full! Lots of people & families on the trail, which is great to see everyone out enjoying nature - but they were all leisurely walking & talking and no one stepped aside to let us by and path was too narrow to pass without being rude. This short hike has 2 walk behind waterfalls, which are nice to see... but I wouldn’t go on a summer weekend again, unless it’s really early to beat the crowds.

Oh what a beautiful place! Nice place to take a hike.

not too difficult. I took my 13 and 15 year old son's with me. the hike back to the falls was nice. we took a more remote path back that was a pretty muddy that we did not plan for but hey, it's all part of nature and we just enjoyed the day anyway.

Beautiful hike and a nice trail. I wouldn’t call it easy lol but I am carrying extra weight and also had an extra 30# on my back with my 1 yo, framed carrier, water and baby supplies. There were spots where you have to crouch down which was difficult with this type of baby carrier and I’m not that tall to begin with. Spots were muddy and there were a lot of steep areas both up and down, so something to be mindful of when planning. There are plenty of places to stop and rest and enjoy the view and surrounding woods, so if you’re out of shape but want a challenge, this is a beautiful hike with opportunities to catch your breath when needed. My 6 year old was able to do the trial easily and enjoyed exploring the little cave-like areas by the falls.

Great walk behind the falls ! Loved this falls, very different experience :)

Extremely beautiful place to hike and it's fairly kid friendly. It's awesome being able to walk directly behind the south falls.

This is such a fun trail to hike on. It has 10 waterfalls on the hike! The best time to go is in the spring when the waterfalls are flowing heavy. It’s a hike that doesn’t disappoint.

Recommend for a pretty easy to moderate hike if you aren’t in great shape! It was beautiful and not busy on the day we went, which was great!

Amazing!! SO very beautiful, lush, green, flowers and the waterfalls... WOW!!! Can’t wait to go back!!

Mon Jan 07 2019

Absolutely stunning

Fri Nov 16 2018

I loved this hike! We looked at both falls. Super fun to be able to walk behind both and see the backside of water. There was frost, so it was a little slippery in areas, but manageable. Switchback incline was tough. But a break here and there and we were fine. Bathrooms were good. Cafe was perfect as we were cold and hungry.

Mon Oct 22 2018

Awesome hike, I’ve hiked it three times. Amazing falls.

Wed Oct 17 2018

Lovely hike on easy trails. There are a couple beautiful falls for a shorter hike.

Tue Sep 04 2018

Beautiful trails and falls but over populated. Sadly people are starting to leave trash behind and large groups are blocking paths often.

Fri Aug 31 2018

Amazing views!

Wed Aug 08 2018

It’s in the shade and gorgeous! Saw South Falls and Lower South Falls.

Wed Jul 18 2018

Awesome

Thu Jul 12 2018

love this short walk.

Sun Jul 08 2018

Beautiful falls and great breezes through out.

Tue May 22 2018

Had a fun walk, it's pretty, there's room for adventure for the kiddos as well.