Learn more

South Silver Falls is a 2.1 mile loop trail located near Silverton, Oregon that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Length 2.1 mi Elevation gain 59 ft Route type Loop

Waterfall

No dogs

Waypoints (0)
Facilities

$5 fee, there is a big parking lot.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (165)
Photos (60)
Recordings (73)
Completed (964)
Scott Bozeman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2020

This is a light nature trail around the campground, not the South Falls Trail.

Alex Kahn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 16, 2020
Hiking

Had some trouble navigating, but thought the park was beautiful

Micah Grady
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 11, 2020
HikingFeeGreat!MuddyRockyWashed out

Beautiful waterfall, steep and muddy, w/ low clearance!

Christina Foley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 2, 2020

Nice hike with the kids

Blake Naranjo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 18, 2020
HikingMuddy

Great beginner trail with beautiful sights! The falls are absolutely gorgeous!!

Alexandria Watson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 31, 2020
Hiking

Great hike! Was able to make it 5.6 by blending south falls trail with several other out there. I will not the directions are not accurate I ended up following signs for the Day use south falls trail lot to gain access. It was a great couple of hours and saw several falls. Fair warning to sprint customers my phone went out about 10 mins before I got to the parking lot. There was WiFi at the lodge so I was able to down load the map but while hiking there was no service like at all. Trails are clearly marked but just a FYI

Chrissy Vanleeuwen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 26, 2020
View Chrissy's Recording
Cornelio Palacios
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 11, 2020
HikingIcySnow

I was in Salem for the weekend on a business trip and i had a little time off so i went to this spot and it was breath taking!

Norah Eaton
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 25, 2020
Hiking

This is not the South Falls Trail. Google map directions take you toa Campground with nature trail where you hike 2 miles in a circle. There is NO waterfall.

View Norah's Recording
Anessa Ikeda
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 19, 2020
View Anessa's Recording
Dipan Oza
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarDecember 29, 2019

beautiful hike, but no waterfalls on this trail as someone mentioned

Jason Frankel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 29, 2019

Love the fact you can walk down to and behind. Multiple trails and views to be enjoyed by all.

cherry williamson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 13, 2019
Hiking

very easy and the hike behind the falls is great

Claire M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 5, 2019
Hiking

This is the best “easy” hike in the park, in my opinion! Walking behind South Falls is always incredible, even if it does get a bit crowded sometimes. If going on a weekend in summer, expect crowds!

Danny Kilian
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 21, 2019
Hiking

This was truly a short amazing hike. I had no idea of all of the waterfalls in this small area. We were just driving back to the airport in Portland and wanted a quick sight. WOW. I only wish I had time to do the 10 mile loop. For those of you, definitely make time for this. There is also a cafe and the food smelled delicious but just not at the right time for me to eat. I would definitely come home all the falls and then hang out eating. What a well kept area!!!

View Danny's Recording
Emvee Cee-Kae
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 31, 2019
Hiking

This place is beautiful! ofcourse right?! We drove from CA to here at night to hike in the am. I suggest come early if you want to beat the crowds. Double check, we saw signs for no dogs allowed on the trails. we hiked for 3 hours. saw 2 waterfalls and had to turn back to meet family. I do plan to visit again and finish all 10 waterfalls. I will update my review then. Definitely worth it. Pretty easy. Struggled on the hills a bit. Bad knees.

Connor Gorman
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 27, 2019
Hiking

Errrr no water fall on this trail. Followed the map to a T

View Connor's Recording
Dan & Tracey Freeland
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 22, 2019
Hiking

We got a late start to our hike today. Parking lot was 1/4 full at 10:45 Sunday morning. By the time we returned at noon, it was full! Lots of people & families on the trail, which is great to see everyone out enjoying nature - but they were all leisurely walking & talking and no one stepped aside to let us by and path was too narrow to pass without being rude. This short hike has 2 walk behind waterfalls, which are nice to see... but I wouldn’t go on a summer weekend again, unless it’s really early to beat the crowds.

Connie Cline
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 9, 2019
Hiking

Oh what a beautiful place! Nice place to take a hike.

John Rees
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 12, 2019

not too difficult. I took my 13 and 15 year old son's with me. the hike back to the falls was nice. we took a more remote path back that was a pretty muddy that we did not plan for but hey, it's all part of nature and we just enjoyed the day anyway.

MC 2
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 4, 2019
HikingMuddyRocky

Beautiful hike and a nice trail. I wouldn’t call it easy lol but I am carrying extra weight and also had an extra 30# on my back with my 1 yo, framed carrier, water and baby supplies. There were spots where you have to crouch down which was difficult with this type of baby carrier and I’m not that tall to begin with. Spots were muddy and there were a lot of steep areas both up and down, so something to be mindful of when planning. There are plenty of places to stop and rest and enjoy the view and surrounding woods, so if you’re out of shape but want a challenge, this is a beautiful hike with opportunities to catch your breath when needed. My 6 year old was able to do the trial easily and enjoyed exploring the little cave-like areas by the falls.

Tessa N
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 29, 2019
Aruna Kalyanasundaram
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 26, 2019
Hiking

Great walk behind the falls ! Loved this falls, very different experience :)

d lead28
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 10, 2019

Extremely beautiful place to hike and it's fairly kid friendly. It's awesome being able to walk directly behind the south falls.