South Jetty Trail

South Jetty Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near South Beach, Oregon that features a river. The trail is good for all skill levels offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

sea kayaking

surfing

beach

Adjacent to South Beach State Park, South Jetty offers horse access to the beach, fishing, clamming, surfing, scuba diving and (for the advanced) windsurfing when conditions permit. Easy walking, biking, equestrian, wheelchair path along the beach dunes and forest. Connects South Beach State Park to amenities around the South Beach Marina. Beach access. Beautiful coastal scenery and wildlife.

Easy chill trail. The newer one is paved and ride a bike on it. The old trail not bad at all.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

A fine paved trail for a walk with little grade and great for bicycle (rentals at the park hospitality shop).

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Monday, July 25, 2016

As someone who lives in Newport, this little trail is a great asset to the town! It provides an easy nature getaway to escape to after work. The mosquitoes do enjoy this area as well so make sure you come prepared!

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

The Hus and I took a walk with our pug along the water and spotted this trail and went for it. The only downfall is the patches of mosquitoes you will walk through. So spray yourself with bug repellent or be ready to swat each other down to get rid of the pesky buggers. We were mainly going to get all the Pokéstops since we are playing Pokémon go :) but the trail was great! It is paved but there are side trails that you can also take. We didn't make it quite all the way to the beach on an off trail since my pug doesn't do "off roading" bahaha. Great trail!!! We definitely had a good walk 3 miles round trip from our hotel to the end of our walk and back. Next time we will leave our puggy with the in laws and see how far we can go :)

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Great for even our 5 year old!!

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Trail id paved, but you can also take the "Old Jetty Trail", which is dirt and more scenic. Both are great for walks.

Sunday, July 05, 2015

Nice paved trail, 1 mile each way, easy for anyone. The trees protect the trail from the wind so even on a windy day it would be a nice walk.

Monday, May 04, 2015

This trail is paved and boring (for me), but the Old Jetty Trail is pretty much right next to it and is far prettier. You are in the trees and off of the pavement, and the trail is still nice and easy to walk on.

I made my way to the beach from the boardwalk and walked to the jetty, and decided I wanted to go to the end of the jetty itself. I didn't see the "danger, don't what you just did" signs until I was back to the parking lot just east of the jetty so if you decide to do the same thing just know that it really is dangerous. It starts out easy and flat, then you start jumping from rock to rock, and then you start climbing from giant boulder with gaping caverns underneath to another giant boulder. If you slip, you will be jacked. I don't know how people did that while carrying all their fishing gear, because there were two guys at the very end fishing.

Once I got to the lot by the jetty I went back on the paved trail and hiked back to my car. Walking through the sand dunes was pretty, but the main South Jetty Trail is pretty meh although I was thankful for it after all of that climbing and jumping.

Monday, February 16, 2015

My preference is for the Old Jetty Trail that parallels this one. South Jetty is a paved, wide trail with side roads to the beach, other trails, and the campground. Old Jetty starts near by and is marked by a sign. It is single track in spots and meanders unpaved under the cover of the forest. Occasionally it crosses one of the paved side roads of South Jetty. Along the route, you can find animal crossings/trails, mushrooms of all sorts, and always hear the ocean just over the dune. A great alternative to the paved route.

Saturday, November 08, 2014