South Jetty Trail is a 3.1 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near South Beach, Oregon that features a river. The trail is good for all skill levels and offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.1 km Elevation Gain: 5 m Route Type: Out & Back

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

paddle sports

beach

partially paved

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. Adjacent to South Beach State Park, South Jetty offers horse access to the beach, fishing, clamming, surfing, scuba diving and (for the advanced) windsurfing when conditions permit. Easy walking, biking, equestrian, wheelchair path along the beach dunes and forest. Connects South Beach State Park to amenities around the South Beach Marina. Beach access. Beautiful coastal scenery and wildlife.

Pretty pretty

9/13/2019. Great, paved, wide trail. Wish I had my bicycle, but was glad I didn't at the end (we traveled south to North) because we took the beach route back to the car. Huge blue huckleberry bushes, over eight ft tall in some areas! Salal bushes, mugo pines, pearly everlasting, twinberry.

Sun May 05 2019

South Beach State Park is very enjoyable! Camp, hike the trail to the jetty, jog back along the beach which extends for miles. Take a headlamp along and enjoy the magnificent sunsets. The campground is fully equipped, so take your RV, or, the tent sites are great and the shower/restroom facilities are excellent. Also a few yurts.

Wed Apr 03 2019

Cute little trail that takes you out to the jetty next to the Newport bridge. Wooded, then some sand. The actual name is the trail is "Old South Jetty", listed twice in All Trails

Sun Aug 06 2017

Easy chill trail. The newer one is paved and ride a bike on it. The old trail not bad at all.

Thu Sep 15 2016

A fine paved trail for a walk with little grade and great for bicycle (rentals at the park hospitality shop).

Mon Jul 25 2016

As someone who lives in Newport, this little trail is a great asset to the town! It provides an easy nature getaway to escape to after work. The mosquitoes do enjoy this area as well so make sure you come prepared!

Wed Jul 13 2016

The Hus and I took a walk with our pug along the water and spotted this trail and went for it. The only downfall is the patches of mosquitoes you will walk through. So spray yourself with bug repellent or be ready to swat each other down to get rid of the pesky buggers. We were mainly going to get all the Pokéstops since we are playing Pokémon go :) but the trail was great! It is paved but there are side trails that you can also take. We didn't make it quite all the way to the beach on an off trail since my pug doesn't do "off roading" bahaha. Great trail!!! We definitely had a good walk 3 miles round trip from our hotel to the end of our walk and back. Next time we will leave our puggy with the in laws and see how far we can go :)

Wed Mar 23 2016

Great for even our 5 year old!!

Sun Mar 20 2016

Trail id paved, but you can also take the "Old Jetty Trail", which is dirt and more scenic. Both are great for walks.

Sun Jul 05 2015

Nice paved trail, 1 mile each way, easy for anyone. The trees protect the trail from the wind so even on a windy day it would be a nice walk.

Mon May 04 2015

This trail is paved and boring (for me), but the Old Jetty Trail is pretty much right next to it and is far prettier. You are in the trees and off of the pavement, and the trail is still nice and easy to walk on. I made my way to the beach from the boardwalk and walked to the jetty, and decided I wanted to go to the end of the jetty itself. I didn't see the "danger, don't do what you just did" signs until I was back to the parking lot just east of the jetty so if you decide to do the same thing just know that it really is dangerous. It starts out easy and flat, then you start jumping from rock to rock, and then you start climbing from giant boulder with gaping caverns underneath to another giant boulder. If you slip, you will be jacked. I don't know how people did that while carrying all their fishing gear, because there were two guys at the very end fishing. Once I got to the lot by the jetty I went back on the paved trail and hiked back to my car. Walking through the sand dunes was pretty, but the main South Jetty Trail is pretty meh although I was thankful for it after all of that climbing and jumping.

Mon Feb 16 2015

My preference is for the Old Jetty Trail that parallels this one. South Jetty is a paved, wide trail with side roads to the beach, other trails, and the campground. Old Jetty starts near by and is marked by a sign. It is single track in spots and meanders unpaved under the cover of the forest. Occasionally it crosses one of the paved side roads of South Jetty. Along the route, you can find animal crossings/trails, mushrooms of all sorts, and always hear the ocean just over the dune. A great alternative to the paved route.

Sun Feb 16 2014

this is a noce little trail that is great combined with another hike in the area

Wed May 29 2013

I love to bike on this trail! All the paved pathway you want and the opportunity to ride a bark chip, off road path too. Your choice! Plenty of pull offs, even one bike rack, if you want to head over the dunes to the beach. If you're staying at South Beach State Park you can walk or ride your bike from the campground all the way under the Yaquina Bay Bridge (via the jetty trail and road) to the Rouge ale house and brewery! Easily! Not to mention the South Beach Marina, Oregon Coast Aquarium and Hatfield Marine Science center, (which is free,) are easily accessed in this way too. If you're staying at a hotel in South Beach just ride or walk over towards the bridge and marina. Under the bridge, around the marina and next to the Rogue brewery is where the paved path starts and leads along the jetty to the trail or the beach. It's a beautiful ride, relaxed and great. Fresh sea air, Harbor Seals, scenic views, fishing/crabbing pier, paved paths, light traffic, I love it.

Wed Jun 20 2012

Today I headed out to the South Jetty Trail when the rain ceased. This is a nice, easy, paved trail - it is very easy to access. The actual South Jetty Trail is one mile out and back - I didn't stick with the trail, I headed out along the jetty at the end of the the trail instead of heading back and wandering along the beach, it was a beautiful day. After wandering down the beach with my two tiny black toy poodles I headed back up the sand dune in an attempt to find the trail and came across another off shoot which was an interpretive trail explaining the Jetty and the beach that it created - this is a great learning opportunity in nature, very well done. After following that path a short ways I took the old Jetty Trail which went winding through nature - loved it! I felt like I was in another world. My hike ended up being 2.5 miles and was not very challenging, but beautiful and very relaxing.

Sun May 08 2011

This quick paved trail is little more than a nice peaceful walk near the beach that's over as quick as it starts. It is a wide open, paved trail with no ocean view that goes one even mile north from the parking lot to the south jetty of Yaquina Bay. Great for a morning run if you're vacationing in the area. For a bit more excitement, take the trail north to the jetty, then turn right at the bay and walk a quarter mile east to the Old South Jetty Trail, and return through the wilderness and forest of this dirt trail. Definitely not a trail for running, and plan for lots of contact with foliage, but taking these two trails is a fun study in contrast.

recorded Recording - Feb 17, 01:51 PM