South Falls and Maple Ridge Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(163)
Silver Falls State Park

South Falls and Maple Ridge Loop is a 3.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Silverton, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 718 feet Route Type: Loop

Awesome place for family. Easy to very hard hikes. Was busy but area is huge so people space out. Can pay with card at kiosk so that was dope!

Muddy, but worth it!

fee

Great trail. Nice waterfalls and views.

recorded South Silver Fall

be cautious on some icy condition on the stairs walking down hill. remember to wear good boots for water puddles near lower south fall. very pleasant hike!

icy

Beautiful experience

Great trail. Never too steep, 7 waterfalls. Beautiful when the leaves are changing

Even though the uphill is rough on me I enjoy this hike every time! There was trail maintenance done last week.

Great hike with kiddos

Excellent mid-week hike when not so crowded. The jaunt up Maple Ridge will certainly get your heart pumping.

Easy trail. Quite a bit of stairs.

Went on Wednesday, July 24, 2019, after work. After work, my co-worker said she was going hiking at Silver Falls in Oregon.  She wondered if anyone was down to go, and few of us said, "yes."  We all went home to change into our summer weather hiking gear, consisting of shorts and tanktops, backpacks with snacks.  I took Trevor's K-Bar, a neck knife, a taser (you never know), granola bars, peanut butter sandwich crackers, pineapple juice, and water, a second cell phone as I knew I would be using one phone for pictures and the second phone could be backup in case of emergency.  I also brought rubber sandals and a hoodie.  I come prepared for the worst sometimes.  I had never hiked in Oregon, so this was my first and I had not researched the trail.  We saw a few garter snakes, many chipmunks.  I don't think I'd ever seen a chipmunk in person before, so I was surprised at how small they were.  We waded in the water, and it was shallow and cold.  It felt good on bare feet. There were few steep switchbacks, but benches greeted us a few times so we could cool down and relax before finishing the loop.  The trail is highly trafficked, but has many beautiful views.

These waterfalls are beautiful and the surrounding area was great for all the little ones we had with us. However, This area is so accessible that it feels more like a park. Will come back to do the ten falls, but come knowing it’s a picnic/park like atmosphere and most of the trail is fenced or marked off. If your hoping to go play in the falls the south silver is not your place.

Sun Jun 02 2019

Great hike with the family. Beautiful views.

Sun Feb 17 2019

beautiful trail and view. a must see. parts of the trail is muddy and wet. recommend waterproof shoe or boots. watch out for lots of ticks. picturerisk hike.

Sun Jan 20 2019

really nice hike, little muddy and misty behind the falls - my kids loved it.

Sat Jan 05 2019

Ended with the falls - lovely, misty hike.

Sat Dec 15 2018

I did the hike backwards from what this site shows to do, it helped not to have all the incline. Brought my 11 year old brother and he did just fine. A little muddy in some spots but no ice. Had a great time.

Tue Oct 02 2018

Beautiful trail in the fall, the Canyon Trail takes y ou through the South Falls is an easy hike. The return Maple Ridge loops through the forest which is peaceful in the mid-morning before it gets super busy.

Mon Sep 24 2018

Beautiful and not too hard.

Fri Aug 31 2018

UswfzewDwe

Sat Aug 18 2018

This was a great hike with kids. It has plenty of good spots to stop for a snack and options to go farther if everyone’s up for it. We added Lower South Falls and the ten yr old twins had no trouble but were happy to rest by the time we got done. There’s also a little “cafe” with drinks, sandwiches and ice cream.

Sat Jul 07 2018

Beautiful setting. Nicely procured pathways, although you'll want to watch your step! Be prepared for mud & mist. Many photo ops and as beautiful as you could ask for! Would LOVE to go back and finish the 10!