South Breitenbush Trail

South Breitenbush Trail is a 12.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idanha, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.7 miles Elevation Gain: 3,428 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Long uphill, 5.2 miles, very rocky trail almost he whole way. No skeeters now they are gone. This hike is actually 14 miles out and back. Camped at park lake so I didn't go all the way to Russell and still it was 14 miles

A seemingly endless, gruelling uphill start with a lot of loose rock (worse for the descent). We camped at Scout Lake and visited Russell Lake in the morning. Lots of wildflowers still out. Worth the pain!

We took this route because our car wouldn't make it to the other trail. If you're going to Russell Lake stay left when you get to Jefferson Park..

Haven taken Park Ridge and Whitewater trails into Jefferson Park, I found this trail far inferior, I would encourage you to take one of the other tails. There’s very little view, it’s just a long, steep rock scramble.

Looottts of skeeters. Great trail but be ready for serious incline.

Amazing overnight hike! Road to the trailhead is in excellent condition(low clearance you’ll be fine)and there’s tons of room to park. Pretty steady uphill in fairly loose rock the first 4-4.5 until you drop into the park. Absolutely stunning views! Mosquitos were vicious, spray and spray more. I set up camp and then explored the other lakes around Russell, easy to navigate and all very close.

Rocky

What a great day of hike today except for bug attack. The view was spectacular. We started around 10 AM. Drive to the trail was super easy. Looks like they added more gravel on the road which made it smooth ride upto the trailhead. Trail was snowfree and well maintained all the way. We didnt get confused anywhere pretty much all the way except at about 6 mile mark after dropping down to the park. We came to a junction, where one trail seems to veer towards the right and another option was to continue up straight. We decided to checkout the trail towards the right and found that it was going toward Park Lake. After staring at the Park lake for a little bit we came back the same way and went up the trail that was going straight up which led us to the junction of Pacific Crest Trail. We turned right there and made our way to Scout Lake. View from scout lake was spectacular. We then came back the same way and went toward Russell Lake. After that we returned back the same way. We were back at the trailhead by 5:15. Tip: Dont forget the bugspray/ insect repellent. I forgot mine and we were eaten alive by about 6 million mosquitoes. We had to eat our lunch(rice bowl) while still walking becasue of the mosquito attack.

Challenging hike well worth it for the view! Many of the camp spots around the lake are closed for rehab and a park ranger came around in the afternoon to verify.

Overall, a great day for an out and back hike. Tracked at 6.6 miles to the Russell lake- so not too far off of what AllTrails states. I imagine those who are tracking a lot more mileage to Russell are taking the wrong trail at one of the final forks that would loop you around and add mileage- not sure. With some exploring around Russell lake tracked 13.8 miles on the day with steady gain for the first 4+ miles before it levels out. The views from Jefferson Park are incredible! The only downside of the day was the mosquitos were out in full force. Picaridin and lavender oil was no match for them. Got back to the car looking like I had chicken pox all over again. Would definitely recommend full body covering and your best insect repellents. If there is a breeze they weren’t bad but unfortunately the breeze was few and far between.

We hiked this as a day hike last year, but loved it so much we decided to come back and camp out. July is a bit early in the season, and the mosquitos were super hungry. Lucky we brought along bug nets. Mosquito repellent didn't help. It's an amazing hike, and the sunset/sunrises were great. Got to camp early enough that we hiked north along the PCT to look over the next ridge to Mt. Hood and Ollalie Butte.

One of my favorite spots! It’s a hard hike with loose rock covering the trail most of the way. There were a ton of misquotes but I think that will lessen a bit as the snow melt dries up.

Jeff Park is amazing! This was my second time going to Jeff Park but first time taking breitenbush. This trail is nice dirt for the first 1.5-2 miles then it get’s very rocky and steep for 4 miles until you start to head into Jeff Park for another 2 ish miles. This hike is an increase in 3,000 foot elevation change and it’s no joke if your not prepared for it. I would recommend this trail for people more advanced and wanting more of a challenge. Everyone should definitely go see Jeff park, the lakes and views are beautiful! I would recommend going through Pamellia lake to Jeff park if your looking for an easier route.

Wed Jan 02 2019

No joke, the incline made me reconsider some life choices (especially the pizza and beer I ate the night before). The views of Jefferson once you clear the tree line are breathtaking. The real money maker is the mountain meadows and lakes at the end. Well worth the kick in the crotch. Big downer is just how crowded it is, camping spots are limited and taken real quick. This whole area will require permits starting in 2020.