South Breitenbush Gorge Trail

South Breitenbush Gorge Trail is a 10.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idanha, Oregon that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,220 feet Route Type: Out & Back

bridge out

Please note as of March 2019 this trail is open. The bridge may still be out, forcing hikers to turn back during their trek. For the most up-to-date information, please check the official website: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/willamette/recarea/?recid=4268

bridge out

Great trail with an easy incline. Beautiful forest setting and lots of year round water sources. Trailhead to trailhead is about 11.5 miles per the AT app. Next time I will do a truncated version and just stop at the bench. This is an easy trail, just a bit long. Definitely coming back in the fall. Addendum: Google Maps will take you to the locked gate at Breitenbush Hot Springs. Instead, drive another 0.75 miles and take the second right onto NF-050. This will lead you to a small parking area and the trailhead.

I did this trail by accident. I was trying to do Bear Point but they were working on the culverts and I couldn’t access that trailhead. I didn’t do the whole trail but I followed the river for about 5 miles. It was fine, I prefer mountain views...

No through trail at Breitenbush! not a complete loop unless you all have reservations! Had to walk a few miles on gravel roads and the highway to get back to the car.

This trail was fantastic! We parked just outside and to the east of Hot Springs property on Breitenbush Rd SE so we were not required to go onto private property. Our kids, ages 11 and 9, LOVED the trail that crossed multiple times over the river, using fallen logs as bridges. Around every corner they were squeeling "This is SO cool!". We were able to hike 3.5 miles before encountering a washed-out bridge. It looked like you could even continue on with just a little fortitude to cross Roaring Creek. We will definitely return again.

Trails are in excellent condition. Beautiful views and crossings of river. This loop goes through Breitenbush Resort which is very charming and has lots of neat cabins. 5.4 miles. Took about 2.5 hours. Lovely hike!

Sat Mar 17 2018

The bridge is out about a mile in. the trail has a closed sign at the head.

Mon May 29 2017

Lived at Breitenbush for some years. This is a great little hike.

Mon Jan 30 2012

One of Sullivan's 100 Hikes in the Central Oregon Cascades. We tried to come in from the lower parking lot but we very soon realized the bridge had been washed out. Two guys were sitting next to the river pondering what to do and a girl was walking up and down the shoreline looking for a place to cross. I thought about wading across even took my shoes off but the water was way too cold and too fast and too deep. So, we went back to the car and drove to the upper parking lot and came in from the other direction. Other than that it was a very nice hike thru old growth.