Soda Mountain

Soda Mountain is a 4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ashland, Oregon that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

This is an easy out and back trail to the summit and fire watch tower of Soda Mountain. You start on the PCT headed South 1.1mi. You'll come to a trail junction on your left, take it up .2mi. This brings you to a road and you'll turn right and head up .8mi to the summit. The views are hard to beat.

I hiked to Soda Mountain on a partly cloudy mid-November day (Veterans’ day).
There are several different options to go to either Hobart Bluff or Soda Mountain, or both. If short on time or stamina, the best way would be to drive up Soda Mountain Road from OR66 and park at the Hobart Bluff trailhead. From the parking lot, Hobart Bluff is approximately 2.5 miles round-trip and Soda Mountain just about 4 miles round-trip. The 360 degrees views from Hobart Bluff (360) are great…and the views from Soda Mountain (especially the Mt Shasta basin) are event better.
From my hike, I was looking for a bit more distance and parked right off OR 66 at the point where it intersects with the PCT. From there, reaching both Hobart Bluff and soda mountain is between 12 and 13 miles round-trip depending on choices. I took the PCT up to the Hobart Bluff trailhead on Soda Mountain road . This is a 5 miles segment, with the side trip to Hobart Bluff. That side trip is definitely worth the extra .75 miles. The PCT winds in and out of private property on its way to Hobart Bluff; it is also noticeably on the rocky side and requires paying some close attention to where the feet go. The trail follows closely the north-south ridge that goes all the way to Hobart Bluff and the parking lot beyond. The trail is sometimes on the ridge itself (including a couple nice open meadows) and sometimes just below the ridge on the west or east side. This being November, there were few spots where the trail was covered in (oldish) snow but totally passable. The abundance of triangular PCT blazes would make it easy to find the way even if the snow cover was significantly deeper.
The parking lot for the Hobart Bluff trailhead (at the 5 miles mark) is a good spot to rest for a little while. There are restrooms (no water I could see) and a few boulders to sit on comfortably.
From there, I chose to continue on Soda Mountain Road to just about below the summit, on the east side. I had notice on the Alltrails map a connecting forest road labeled “40-3E-28” and intended to take that connector to gain access to the summit. That “road” apparently does not exist. I search for it going a little further than the displayed intersection, and retracing my step a little in case I missed it. No road! The snow was a foot deep on the slope and it is not totally impossible that I missed it; however, even bushwhacking my way up the steep snowy slope, I did not cross anything that would feel remotely like a road (even a primitive one). Gaining the summit I enjoyed the stunning views towards Shasta to the south, Pilot Rock and Mt Ashland to the west. Definitely worth getting up there (even if the bristling of antennas and satellite dishes of all kind makes it a less than “enchanting” summit to visit.
From there, I returned via the Soda Mountain LOOKOUT road (closed metal gate at its junction with the Soda Mountain road) in foot deep virgin snow most of the way. Back at the Hobart Bluff trailhead, I took Soda Mountain road all the way down to OR66, enjoying beautiful views of Hobart Bluff cliffs in a couple place.

Pretty short hike. Warning-its not well marked. So pay attention to the map. Luckily for me someone warned me and told me where to go. Turn left at the PCT trailhead, there's a narrow path there that goes behind the toilet. And then watch for the turn on the map.... it's not labeled and almost impossible to see bc of fallen trees and it's a narrow hidden trail. Then you'll get to the road, which is the only challenging part of the hike bc it's straight uphill. Keep going bc the views are great at the top!

Excellent!! Long ish hike and the drive is totally worth it!

Beautiful area! had an encounter with a mountain lion hiking up to the lookout

The hike was nice, the views were spectacular. But beware of snow. There was still a fair amount on May 9th. Also, this trails should be rated moderate, not easy

Monday, October 26, 2015

This is a great hike. Go at the right time, and you'll see beautiful wildflowers. Even later in the season, though, you'll get some nice vistas. We hiked a bit farther down the PCT and made our hike about 9 miles total, but you can customize as you see fit. The road up to the Soda Mountain fire lookout tower is big gravel/rock that can be a bit slippery on the way down, so walk with care. Also, not poetic but worth noting, there's a newly built potty at the trailhead :)

Monday, September 07, 2015

Beautiful June day. Lots of wildflowers.

Monday, April 20, 2015

Me and my boyfriend are always trying to find new places to hike. This trail was really great! I don't think we took this exact trail... but it was definitely the Soda Mountain area and it was awesome! The views are just... phenomenal.

Saturday, April 18, 2015

fun adventure, good workout.

Monday, June 03, 2013

Good first half through the trees, but the last half is on a access road with a lot of loose rock. The top is definitely worth putting up with the road, just less than ideal to walk on a road for a mile plus.

Monday, June 03, 2013

Beautiful day for a hike on 6-2-2013. In the morning, it was still misty with low fast moving clouds. We started up the trail, then after the 1.1 mile, stayed right and went along the PCT for 2 miles then came back and then up the Soda Mountain Road to the lookout then back down for a total hike of around 8 miles. The views were amazing all along the PCT but there was not much to offer along the Soda Mountain Road. The views at the top where the lookout is were amazing and very worth the effort. Found 2 geocaches on this hike.

Sunday, September 16, 2012

I chose this hike for the views and I wasn't disappointed. At the watchtower I met a friendly man named Ken. He gave me a grand tour. I learned that he's been keeping watch here (seasonally) for 26 years, the views are that good. I will definitely do this one again.

Monday, September 05, 2016