Shellburg and Stassel Falls Trail

Shellburg and Stassel Falls Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mehama, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,036 feet Route Type: Loop

bridge out

Easy to moderate hike to two waterfalls in the Santiam Foothills. At Shellburg Falls you can walk behind the waterfall. Please note you will have to cross private property to enter the hiking area.

private property

Hiked it today, the gate blocks off the road to vehicles but it is posted on the sign the trail is accessible you just have to stay on the road for just over a mile.

closed

Went today and there was gates blocking both ways.

beautiful hike. from the farms to the falls.

Great trail! My boyfriend an son (7) walked to trails just fine! Their wasn’t any broken down trees or home owners blocking ways of property lines for us, it was beautiful an very clean! The falls were fantastic! Only thing for us was the signs were a little confusing to read, arrows didn’t make sense of direction, so definitely recommend using the map location gps instead.

Beautiful falls and a gun hike. There was a gun rage well within earshot which is fine, but something to note if you're considering bringing dogs who are noise-sensetivive.

Stassel Falls view and spur is most definitely private property and they do not want you trespass. Tons of signs, and the landowners have placed many many logs and branches blocking that area. That’s only a small offshoot part of the whole trail though, rest of the trail is well maintained and lovely. Brand new signs it looks like. Some of the trail goes thru old forests with huge mossy trees, some skirts logging areas. It’s sometimes a single track dirt trail, sometimes a forest road walk. Shellburg Falls is gorgeous, we saved it for the end by taking the loop counter clockwise. In the beginning you cross thru a road cutting thru cow fields and the cows are right there. Watch out for poo!

Great hike! Peaceful. Trail to Stassel Falls has been purposely blocked. You can get around the trees and limbs but it does take some effort. The view of the falls is well worth it!

private property

Beautiful hike. The side trail to Strassel is covered in fallen trees and we couldnt get by. Would love to do it again when it clears. A farmer was feeding his cows and let my daughter feed an apple to one. Lots of others but it wasn't overly crowded.

Great trail, mostly well-maintained and some a little steep. A few short.sections of stairs (which I would had liked to be warned about but oh well!). The falls were beautiful both above and below. The cows were... cows. For a hike of good exercise it was great! I went of a Friday and it was mostly empty, with people on the gravel toad sections, so otherwise alone and silent except for the last quarter mile because a highway was in the distance. Otherwise excellent.

nice hike ,the woods are awesome

Easy walk. You walk mostly on a gravel road through property and then entered into a wooded area. You will see sign on your left to the falls. It’s a pretty fall. If you want more of a hike I recommend following the August Mountain Trail, it’s so peaceful, it was so silent I could hear my heart pounding. Great for meditation.

Cattle guards everywhere and loose cows ... no way to get horses across .

Trail to falls begins with about 1.5 miles along a gravel farm road. Once there, can loop into the Shellburg Falls and Creek Trail. Come earlier to avoid any crowds and get a parking space. Stassel Falls is unmarked but easy to find using the AllTrails map. You can take a series of ropes down to the bottom of the falls, which is definitely worth it.

Very nice waterfall and old growth but too much gravel road for my liking; trail for second waterfall not marked but was shown where it was by a local.

We went in February and saw a cougar! She was very angry about us/our dog being there. Hikers beware! Besides that, it’s an awesome trail with awesome waterfalls.

Stassel fall is not marked. Trail is not marked well.

Interesting hike that consists of navigating trails and logging roads. Great for dogs, lots of opportunities for water for them on a hot day. Three waterfalls and well maintained trails. The navigation between connecting roads and trails is a little tricky, but I used my gps and did fine.

The falls are smaller then most I’ve seen in Oregon, but it was still a pretty hike with not to many people on it.

The hike itself isn’t the most exciting thing in the world. Shellburg Falls was ok (a lot like the falls at Silver Falls), but Stassel Falls was AMAZING and well worth the hike! If you feel like adventuring, treck down (carefully) to the bottom of it. Absolutely beautiful.

recorded Recording - Jul 27, 12:19 PM

keep dogs on leash due to cattle having previous attacks from offleash dogs and are now more defensive. good for leashed dogs and kids. keep all trails open due to many trails crossing over each other. decent amount of signs to help.

Nice trail but some interesting pathways once you reach the camp. We were not able to follow the map beyond that point so we veered using the camping road. Eventually we ended back onto the trail. But it would be nice if we could have actually followed the trail using this app. Or if the app would include the road & parking lots near the camp grounds.

It's a very helpful to me and my family!

I have done this Hime in the summer fall and winter! I recommend the full loop! Great workout plus very pretty wilderness !

Long gravel road your have to walk to get to the trails, but that was the only bad part. The falls were beautiful! We’d go again if we took people but we don’t plan on going again just us.

I hiked this trail with my family and 5 month old Alaskan Malamute puppy, JJ. It was a great trail and beautiful scenery. Great for photography!

Great trail does go through some property. A lot less crowded than Silver Falls