Shan Creek Trail

Shan Creek Trail is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grants Pass, Oregon that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Grant's Pass: Travel southwest on Hwy. 199 (redwood Hwy.) to Riverbanks Road just across the Applegate River. Turn right onto Riverbanks Road and follow it to Forest Service Road # 2706(Shan Creek Road). Follow Shan Creek Road for about 1.2 miles to the trailhead.

The creek is the best part, so a lovely beginning and end but the trail itself was not that exciting to me.

Ends at a dead end road but the hike was amazing. Careful- trail narrows at some points.

Nice trail . Lots of poison oak!!!! Be careful

Honestly after the first mile you completely lose the trail. Such a bummer after driving 40 minutes to the spot and then discovering you can't hike far before totally getting lost :(

Lovely place to hike

Gorgeous! As others suggested cross at the shallow part of the creek not the log.

Cross at the beach or take the log then double back on the other side to catch up with the main trail. There isn't a trailer head marker but it's the only one there. If you are in shape it's moderate if your not use to hiking then it will be hard as it's all up hill climbing about 1500 feet to over 2000 feet. The good thing about this hike is that it's not your typical well beaten path. It's on the side of a mountain so you prob won't see many if anybody and you can just enjoy nature. The spring time brings a lot of ticks so check yourself frequently and thoroughly we pulled off a total of 20 ticks. I recommend and would do this hike again.

Will add my two cents about finding the trail on the other side of the creek. Agree that the best way to stay on the trail is to cross at the shallower "beach" area about 100 feet before you get to the big tree that goes across the creek. The trail is easily visible from this shallower crossing area. But it was February when I went so going into knee high ice water wasn't ideal for me. But in the spring/summer this is the way to cross and continue on the trail.

When you cross at the big tree, it's tough to find the main trail again. The best way is to probably follow the fallen big tree up the hill a bit, you'll reach a trail. Then go right. This trail doesn't continue for long and it pretty much ends at a clearing with a steep valley that flows down into Shan creek. You'll see a huge Boulder below you to your right, right before you reach this valley. At the bottom of this boulder is where the trail is. You can maneuver your way down there, but it's pretty steep so be careful. Or you can try crossing that steep valley and picking up the trail a bit higher. Neither way is really that easy, but it's doable.

Once you do find it, you'll start the climb. It's pretty much constant uphill for the next 1.5 miles. The trail will switchback to the left pretty soon once you find it on the other side of the creek, and will head that way for the rest of the journey. The uphill part of the trail can be fairly strenuous since there's really no respite from the constant climb. Sometimes it may seem like it will not end but just keep going and you'll reach a "road". It's fairly anticlimactic and there's really nothing to see at the top, but the climb down is now pretty easy and there are some great views coming down.

Overall, a really fun and sufficiently challenging hike. I don't have much to compare it to as it was one of the first hikes I went on since I moved out here a few weeks ago, but it was gorgeous, and I look forward to doing it again in the summer when I can cool off in the creek a bit!

Lastly, I will say I missed the trailhead the first time. It's not very obvious if there aren't cars parked there as there's lots of turnouts and all of them (from the road) look like they just have a steep drop with no trailhead. But just look for the second turnout after the sign that says gravel/one lane road. The first turnout will be slightly elevated and look like a parking area (and will probably still have a bunch of trash). This isn't the one. Go to the next one and park and begin the journey!

Everyone in my party enjoyed the hike

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Friday, August 26, 2016

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

for us it was tough, we got the crossing right the first time but were confused by reports of a big tree. so we crossed back and took the big tree up all the way using GPS to find it again just heading north. going back was easy. I wouldn't take the big tree up again. cross when the main trail ends at the creek and there is a clear trail on the other side.

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Perfect for my kids and our dog!

Monday, May 09, 2016

I downloaded the trail map to my phone (thanks Chad) while I still had cell service as I knew this trail might be a challenge to follow. And it was somewhat. I made it from end to end. My mileage to the fire road at the top was 2.2 mi. Once I picked up the trail on the other side of the creek, I had no issues following the trail to the top. Once I found the unmarked trail head via GPS, the only challenge was staying on the trail thru the creek area. My tips: 1. Don't get sucked down to cross the creek too soon. There is an area I call the "main beach" where the trail appears to end, but if you go over the large rock on the right (see pic I uploaded) you will see the trail right there. 2. You know you are still on the trail when you see the large log going across the creek (see my loaded photo).

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Went to this trail today.
Its really not as hard to find as others made it sound. My boyfriend and I were a little confused when we got to a rock and there wasnt a trail anymore but after climbing the slick rock we found there is even more trail. But this trail ends as well. So yes I can confirm, hike until the fallen tree, cross it, then go straight up. After the tree bridge there is another fallen tree on the ground and just follow it up and you'll find the trail. I'm not sure if we actually hiked the shan creek trail. I can assume we did but we never got to the end of the trail once we got on it. Maybe we were just tired or something but we guessed we had walked 2 miles and the trail just kept on going. We had to be back in town for something so we just turned around and headed back afterwards. i hope to go back and finish this trail if there is actually an end.
I saw the trash others were talking about, I brought a trash bag just for this and picked most of it up if not all. I didn't get to grab the tire, maybe someone else can be a good conservationist and pack it out. I can't bear to see such a nice place be ruined by bottles and cans and foam. If you can, pick up trash you see on hikes folks. It will pay off!
This hike was definitely worth the short drive and minor off-trail-ing. It was beautiful, the water was clear and looked yummy [didn't drink of course] and there were many things to see even in the fall. It was moderately strenuous at certain parts just because it was uphill. But where we ended up, we both knew the hike was worth it.
So basically:
1) The trailhead is not hard to find, follow the directions on here and you'll get to an area where the side of the road is open. Plenty of space to park you car and the trailhead is easily visible.
2.) Finding the rest of the trail is not too difficult. Just follow the trail until you get to the tree thats fallen over the stream then cross it. Follow the tree thats on the ground up the hill and you'll be on the trail for a while. Make your way back the same way.
3.) Maybe I missed some trash on this beautiful hike, do everyone a favor and pick it up even if it isn't yours. You will seriously be doing everyone a favor. This is a beautiful hike and it would be a shame to see it get ruined by careless people's trash.
I hope you go for this hike, its wonderful!