Scout Lake via Woodpecker Ridge Trail and PCT

moderate 3 reviews

Scout Lake via Woodpecker Ridge Trail and PCT is a 20.8 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idanha, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September.

Distance: 20.8 km Elevation Gain: 710 m Route Type: Out & Back

Hiked up to Jefferson Park via Woodpecker trail on July 20/19. This was my first overnight backpacking trip in a long time, and I found this route strenuous (glad I didn't try the harder South Breitenbush route!). The trail starts through a burn area that lasts most of the way to Russell Creek, so there wasn't any shade and it got really hot. Once we got past Russell Creek, we got into more green forested area. Jefferson Park was beautiful, and we camped at both Scout Lake and Russell Lake. The reflections of Mt. Jefferson in Russell Lake were fantastic. Mosquitoes were really bad, but the wildflowers were in bloom, so that offset the annoyance of the bugs somewhat.

Hike through a burn area to get to Jefferson Park. No snow until the intersection of the closed Whitewater trail. Snow after that and into Jeff Park but easily navigable. Great conditions at Jefferson Park!