School Canyon Trail

School Canyon Trail is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Dufur, Oregon that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,604 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Very hot trail with little to no shade in the beginning but still cool. Encountered my first wild rattlesnake on the trail. Cool but be careful! Not many vistas but still a few spots for some really cool views. Definitely go on a cooler day!

Backpacked this trail on 7/13-7/14/19. The Forest Service must have recently done maintenance on this trail because there was no blow down at all. We had the whole trail to ourselves all weekend. Very hot and exposed but beautiful views, you can see as far as Jefferson and the sisters. Side Note: Every thing we researched before heading there said there was no pass required, but when we reached the trailhead there were posted signs for a NW Forest Pass. They seemed to be newly posted. There isn't a box to pay for one either, so come prepared!

Hiked on May 23, 2019. Most of trail is through old burn but the views are worth it. Many trees down across the trail, some are challenging to cross. The trail as described on the app is incorrect (the red line) - the dashed line is more accurate. There is not a steep section near the end of the trail as shown in the profile. A beautiful day!

Trail was hard to pass in several places but it was a great hike and had lots of birds and small animals. The views were amazing too. Would love to hike it again in the fall.

Not much here at all. Besides the first half which gives you elevation scenery. Did this on Oct 27th, 18. A lot of the trees still looked burnt and damaged. I open carried here for protection. I passed by a hunter and he said he scoped me down so I'd recommend wearing bright safety colors. I had black on but my camelbak is yellow and I had hints of orange all over.

Saturday, November 25, 2017

We arrived in the late afternoon (2pm) and had the trail to ourselves. Unfortunately we only did the first half, but enjoyed every minute of it. The trail is very open, allowing us to walk in the warm autumn sunshine. From the first saddle there is a beautiful view... you are pretty much walking the entire trail with a good view. Next time we hope to do the whole trail.

Monday, May 15, 2017

Beautiful. Links to badger creek trail for a longer loop.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

About .8 miles in is the steepest jaunt, just above the oak grove, but completely worth pushing through to see the dramatic forest change as you round the side of the hill. The change is intense and immediately noticeable in the vegetation; totally needed out on this one

Sunday, April 23, 2017