Warrior Rock Lighthouse Trail

Warrior Rock Lighthouse Trail is a 6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Scappoose, Oregon that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 42 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This a nice walk along the Columbia River to the old Warrior Rock Lighthouse, Oregon's smallest lighthouse. This walk follows along the shore of the Columbia River to a very cool old lighthouse that used to direct shipping traffic up the Columbia River. It is Oregon's smallest lighthouse and is one of only two that are not on the Pacific Ocean.

fee

Easy 6 mile jaunt to a cute little lighthouse with gorgeous views of the Columbia River. Really no elevation change so the trail was easy. Very secluded and wooded and we encountered no other hikers in November.

all flat 6mile back and forth "boring" walk.. But, all worth it! gotta do exercise the legs! Good with kids too.

I was very happy to come across this trail the other day. I believe it's a bit longer than 6 miles, very easy to get to. Be extra cautious of the hornet's nests all throughout the forest. I came across two that I could spot. Some overgrown foliage but so pretty, blackberries and wildflowers all around.

This walk was kind of boring. Pretty flat and uninspiring.

Great family trail. Flat and wide, shaded and opens onto a sweet little beach. Leave plenty of time to explore the lighthouse, climb the driftwood, splash in the water, eat the blackberries, and watch the river traffic. Use a reliable bug spray; these suckers feast right through your clothes! We hiked and enjoyed a sunset picnic, hiked back by moonlight (and a flashlight). And, $10 for parking; passes available at local markets on the island.

Went on a hot August Sunday, parking was terrible throughout the whole riverside. $10 parking permit required any where on Sauvie. Hike was relatively flat and easy, plenty of blackberries to snack on in August. Bugs were bothersome after the sun got low. Trail was easy enough for kids who enjoy hiking, just long. Bring swimsuits and towels! There is a medium size bald face hornets nest (the big paper nests) on the trail 0.8 miles from the lighthouse, low hanging at adult knee height in the blackberries. They did not bother us, but a child could easily bump it looking for berries.

I went on this hike today and it was a nice easy walk, slightly over 6 miles round trip mostly shady and flat. There's a quiet beach area near the lighthouse. It may be helpful to be aware that there is currently a hornet's nest in the bushes on the right side of the trail at about 2.3 miles from the parking lot when heading out toward the light house. Based on previous reviews, I'm glad we brought bug spray as we walked through some overgrown grass and there were mosquitoes.

Didn’t make it today. Too many mosquitoes with out spray.

I enjoyed this trail. there are some spots pretty overgrown, I was surprised by how much traffic there was and how overgrown it was. Lots of bugs I was not 100% prepared and you need a parking permit.

Completed this hike yesterday on 7/6/19. Great hike 7 miles round trip. Lots of beautiful wildflowers and awesome wildlife, such as raptors, bald eagles, Canadian geese, flickers, wood peckers etc. Trail was clear and easy. Wear bug spray lots of mosquitoes. Parking permit required $10 for day that can be purchased at any of little markets in vincinity.

My 7 year old and I did this trail on 6/23/19. It was a nice easy walk, but the mosquitoes were hungry! Bring your bug spray. The trail is not well marked either.

This was a very nice, easy walk. The scenery was beautiful along the way. It is mostly shaded, which made it really enjoyable. Bring spray for the mosquito’s though, they are pesky!

Nice trail. Easy. You need a parking permit to park for this trail. They are available on the island. If you go in late spring, the grass is very tall in places and covers much of the trail. Not many views of the river during this hike.

Great easy trail to some nice beaches and a lighthouse. Not very populated on a Saturday, 5/4/19.

Took our family youngest is 5 and my mother in-law 66 was a wonderful day ❤️ we will be coming back to this.

This is actually a 7 mile treck out to a cute cove with the lighthouse. My daughter and grandson joined me. Big wheel stroller did well but path is flat and wide so our toddler was free to run. Lots of birds and the view of the river is amazing.

Nice easy walk through the woods, river off to the side. Trails wasn’t muddy. Saw several snakes. Lighthouse at the end is cool. Really enjoyed the drive to the trailhead.

A bit muddy right now but very passable. Good views of Rainer, St Helens, & Hood when not cloudy.

Beautiful and relaxing easy hike for my dog and I. I will definitely go back.

Sun Nov 11 2018

This was a beautiful hike. Great time of year. No bugs. Easy in and out. Great for kids and dogs.

Sat Sep 29 2018

Not an overly challenging hike, but very peaceful, fairly well maintained in most areas, and a good view of the river by the end!

Sun Aug 26 2018

My first hike in a couple of years so I wanted something easy. There and out was actually 7 miles, I went mid August and there we no bugs really. We went early so plenty of parking, by the time we got back it was packed. It was an 85 degree day so we ended up at the beach in the water after which was nice. I know I’ll go again. I loved it.

Fri Jun 22 2018

Really great trail. It’s all flat, so fairly easy to walk. Amazing wildlife too!! There were bald eagles the flew literally feet in front of us. Super beautiful. And the beach at the end is more or less your own private beach. The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 are the MOSQUITOS!!! They were awful!! I had 10 bites on just one hand. If I got that many on my hand, imagine what the rest of me looked like!!! Will definitely be going again, but not before I douse my body in bug spray.

Tue Jun 19 2018

Nice easy trail and I’m thankful that other reviewers mentioned the bugs. We came equipped so enjoyed the walk as we looked for birds and watched a variety of water vessels go by. Cute little lighthouse so worth the drive out there.

Fri Jun 15 2018

Hiked this on June 13. Well marked trail, make sure i purchase a day pass to park. Beautiful scenic that follows the Columbia. The mosquitoes were insane but we found if just kept moving it was harder for them to bite us.

Wed Jun 13 2018

Did this hike about two weeks ago. SUPER muddy, trudged through water numerous times, ruined my shoes, and I came home littered with some gnarly bug bites, but fun regardless! Really nice hike, pretty easy 6 miles, not too many people on the trail, and just a nice little escape for a couple hours through a different area of Sauvies than what you would normally go to with some cool little scenery transitions (woods, small meadows, beach, right along the river, etc).