Sauvie Island: Warrior Rock Lighthouse Trail

Sauvie Island: Warrior Rock Lighthouse Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Scappoose, Oregon that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

This a nice walk along the Columbia River to the old Warrior Rock Lighthouse, Oregon's smallest lighthouse. This walk follows along the shore of the Columbia River to a very cool old lighthouse that used to direct shipping traffic up the Columbia River. It is Oregon's smallest lighthouse and is one of only two that are not on the Pacific Ocean.

Really great trail. It’s all flat, so fairly easy to walk. Amazing wildlife too!! There were bald eagles the flew literally feet in front of us. Super beautiful. And the beach at the end is more or less your own private beach. The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 are the MOSQUITOS!!! They were awful!! I had 10 bites on just one hand. If I got that many on my hand, imagine what the rest of me looked like!!! Will definitely be going again, but not before I douse my body in bug spray.

Nice easy trail and I’m thankful that other reviewers mentioned the bugs. We came equipped so enjoyed the walk as we looked for birds and watched a variety of water vessels go by. Cute little lighthouse so worth the drive out there.

Hiked this on June 13. Well marked trail, make sure i purchase a day pass to park. Beautiful scenic that follows the Columbia. The mosquitoes were insane but we found if just kept moving it was harder for them to bite us.

Did this hike about two weeks ago. SUPER muddy, trudged through water numerous times, ruined my shoes, and I came home littered with some gnarly bug bites, but fun regardless! Really nice hike, pretty easy 6 miles, not too many people on the trail, and just a nice little escape for a couple hours through a different area of Sauvies than what you would normally go to with some cool little scenery transitions (woods, small meadows, beach, right along the river, etc).

Of the forty something hikes mentioned in Falcon Guides’ Best Dog Hikes in Oregon, this trail made the list. It is definitely off-leash friendly (regardless of the leash-only sign posted at the parking lot by the trailhead). Not a really spectacular trail but it was cool to see the lighthouse and hang out at the beach. Easy 6 miles hike.

went in the afternoon. parking lot was packed. seen people heading out to their cars as we were heading in. Very little traffic on the trail and nobody at the lighthouse when we arrived. Walked out watching the sun set. Beautiful easy hike.

Do NOT do right now! Did this hike on Sunday 6/3/18 and I have over 20 bites on my body. They are not normal mosquito bites, some are about the size of a quarter and feel like they are on fire! I was wearing long tight workout leggings and a hoody to cover my face during this hike because of all the bugs. Just wait till it’s warm and not so damp!

Flooded out today.

Wide easy trail to walk. Half sun half shade.

This was a great walk, a little harder since I took my toddler in a stroller. Saw a sea lion catching fish by the lighthouse that was pretty cool to watch for awhile. Only encountered 2 other people the entire time. Also, wasted a lot of time in the morning trying to buy a parking permit. If you’re going, make sure to pick one up before you get there.

Well, I was waiting for that perfect April sunny warm day to hike this trail and it came!
Gorgeous clear skies, with views of majestic St. Helens and glimpses of the lighthouse perfectly perched at the end of the trail.
Snakes, herons and hawks were easily spotted.
Nice flat ground, a little muddy in some places but not bad.

Love this walk, it is different from season to season. Very magical. I wish folks wouldn’t litter. The blackberries are bountiful in their season. Amazing bird nests and you will likely see a bald eagle and some geese.

Easy trail with a great payoff! On a clear day, the views of Helens are amazing.

Love this place! Nice easy walk that is usually lightly traveled in the “off” months. Great beach at the end for the dogs to play on!

Family friendly, trails are clear, not too busy (we went on Labor Day). Kids will bring swimsuits for the beach area by the lighthouse next time. Didn't know about having a parking permit, hope I didn't get a ticket. I'll probably go back soon with a small group of friends for a nice trail run, great distance!

Sunday, July 30, 2017

This is an easy hike except where the trail is overgrown and pushing through the thicket is necessary. Which is fun in its own right. No water covering the trail anymore. Just watch out for blackberry branches that can jump out and scratch you.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Great trail, with a great finish at the lighthouse.just make sure to bring your allergy medicine

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Trail still flooded about 1 mile in. The water has gone down from about 3 weeks ago.

Monday, May 15, 2017

Nice hike but currently has several sections of trail underwater. Hikers can make it through, but you have to be willing to wade thru up to 1 1/2' of water. Will post pics.

Friday, April 28, 2017

It is completely flooded over about 1 mile in.

Saturday, October 01, 2016

Nice walk with the dog!

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

An easy flat hike, especially for kids. Great beach cove to picnic and wade in the river at the lighthouse. Make sure to get a parking permit at the store at the bottom of the bridge. You will get a ticket!

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Awesome trail

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

way toooo many skeeters yikes!!! but good other then that

Monday, July 04, 2016

Gorgeous day with cool breezes along the Columbia. saw bald eagles, kingfisher, deer and a half dozen osprey nests with chicks.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Make sure you pack mosquito repellant. A lot of people on the trail. it's worth it for the end view.

Monday, June 06, 2016

It's long and hot but a beautiful beach at the end and beach walk in the beginning . Lots of birds we even saw seals in the water

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Very cool to see the old light house definitely worth the trip!

Monday, May 16, 2016

lovely relaxed hike, either along the beach or in the woods. the lighthouse is historic and very cool. well worth the trek

Sunday, January 04, 2015

I enjoyed the hike. It's pretty muddy during the winter in some spots.