Sauvie Island: Warrior Rock Lighthouse Trail

Sauvie Island: Warrior Rock Lighthouse Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Scappoose, Oregon that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This a nice walk along the Columbia River to the old Warrior Rock Lighthouse, Oregon's smallest lighthouse. This walk follows along the shore of the Columbia River to a very cool old lighthouse that used to direct shipping traffic up the Columbia River. It is Oregon's smallest lighthouse and is one of only two that are not on the Pacific Ocean.

Easy trail with a great payoff! On a clear day, the views of Helens are amazing.

Love this place! Nice easy walk that is usually lightly traveled in the “off” months. Great beach at the end for the dogs to play on!

Family friendly, trails are clear, not too busy (we went on Labor Day). Kids will bring swimsuits for the beach area by the lighthouse next time. Didn't know about having a parking permit, hope I didn't get a ticket. I'll probably go back soon with a small group of friends for a nice trail run, great distance!

This is an easy hike except where the trail is overgrown and pushing through the thicket is necessary. Which is fun in its own right. No water covering the trail anymore. Just watch out for blackberry branches that can jump out and scratch you.

Great trail, with a great finish at the lighthouse.just make sure to bring your allergy medicine

Trail still flooded about 1 mile in. The water has gone down from about 3 weeks ago.

Nice hike but currently has several sections of trail underwater. Hikers can make it through, but you have to be willing to wade thru up to 1 1/2' of water. Will post pics.

It is completely flooded over about 1 mile in.

Saturday, October 01, 2016

Nice walk with the dog!

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

An easy flat hike, especially for kids. Great beach cove to picnic and wade in the river at the lighthouse. Make sure to get a parking permit at the store at the bottom of the bridge. You will get a ticket!

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Awesome trail

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

way toooo many skeeters yikes!!! but good other then that

Monday, July 04, 2016

Gorgeous day with cool breezes along the Columbia. saw bald eagles, kingfisher, deer and a half dozen osprey nests with chicks.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Make sure you pack mosquito repellant. A lot of people on the trail. it's worth it for the end view.

Monday, June 06, 2016

It's long and hot but a beautiful beach at the end and beach walk in the beginning . Lots of birds we even saw seals in the water

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Very cool to see the old light house definitely worth the trip!

Monday, May 16, 2016

lovely relaxed hike, either along the beach or in the woods. the lighthouse is historic and very cool. well worth the trek

Sunday, January 04, 2015

I enjoyed the hike. It's pretty muddy during the winter in some spots.

Thursday, May 08, 2014

Trail is fun on the beaches, muddy forest path not so much. A good place for a walk but not really worth the price of admission.

Monday, April 14, 2014

A good walk through the trees along the shoreline. Nice, flat, fairly shaded "hike", but lots of ruts and mud at the start. Crowded. I was able to take my dogs onto the beach and they totally loved it!

Friday, November 15, 2013

This is one of my favorite summer hikes. I have done it many times. Works perfect for an easy solo hike. I usually get out there before 10 with a packed lunch and towel. It works out great to hike the 3 miles out, relax, enjoy the sun and eat lunch on the pretty much secluded beach. I see a few people each time but never more than a dozen or so. I have never had a parking problem and since I use Sauvie Island almost every weekend in the summer paying for a yearly parking pass is worth it. The ONLY thing I am bugged by is the mosquitoes can be pretty bad along certain parts of the trail so just need to remember repellant and your are good to go.

Thursday, October 03, 2013

I'd recommend this trail as a once in a lifetime hike. After doing it once, I don't plan on doing it again. The lighthouse is a great site to visit but not worth the 7 bucks for parking. BTW, the store to buy the permit at only takes cash. The trail goes through a cow farm so expect some cow pie and flies or gnats. One could easily get sidetracked by the nude beach nearby.

Sunday, November 25, 2012

First, let me say that this isn't the best hike you will ever do. It's an almost completely flat trail out to the lighthouse and back, without much variety in scenery along the way. But it's worth doing once because the lighthouse is cool and there are lots of birds, such as osprey, etc to see along the way.

One thing seriously lacking on this trail, though, is signage! There is NONE. Basically, pick up a parking permit at Cracker Barrel Grocery (it's $7 for the permit. The state police were checking for permits today, so make sure you get one!). Then follow Sauvie Island Road to Reeder Road, and follow that to its very end (onto the gravel road and past the 'dead end' sign). It's about 15 miles from the store. Park and take the trail to the beach and keep your eyes peeled for the giant osprey nest on top of the piling. Once you pass that, look to cut up to a trail from the beach. Turn right on the trail, which looks like an old road, and follow it all the way to the lighthouse.

The lighthouse itself is neat, and pretty tiny. It looks like a ladder used to be in place to reach its second story but its not in place anymore. There is a solar panel rigged up there to keep it functioning year-round, which is cool.

My GPS tracked this route at exactly 6.5 miles, so 3.25 miles out and then back. This trail is perfect for kids and for dogs but I did want to say not a single dog was leashed that we saw, and we saw many. It's hunting season and we heard many guns going off; unleashed dogs could very easily spook and run off under these circumstances. If, like our dog, yours hates loud noises, don't take Poochie along unless you want to deal with a full-blown anxiety attack.

Have fun!

Monday, May 28, 2012

Lots of bugs, lots of people drunk on the beach, not my favorite but could be better in the fall with a quieter setting.

Tuesday, January 03, 2012

I have some beef with Columbia County officials who issued me a $75 ticket for failing to display a parking permit--WHICH IS NECESSARY FOR THIS TRAIL. I thought these permits were required only for the hunting areas which are abundant surrounding this trail. I get to the parking area, after passing a store that sold said permits roughly 5 miles ago. Seeing as it was a holiday, I figured the store would be closed, anyway, so I figured I'd wing it. Bad plan. MAKE SURE YOU BUY THE PARKING PERMIT. No joke.

Now for the trail. I'm an ecological restorationist and this trail is crap. There are no clear markings, cairns, or blazes to let you know that you're on the correct trail, which is basically an old road. You walk down tire ruts for miles. The habitat is pitiful. It's a sea of invasive species, literally. If you're completely ignorant about invasive species issues of the PNW, then go ahead. You won't be troubled. I've never seen so much reed canary grass and Himalayan blackerries in my life. I personally would like to know where the permit violation fines are going. Certainly not to trail maintenance, habitat restoration, or road repair.

Thursday, August 04, 2011

Trail was poorly maintained, the humidity was horrible, and the mosquitos were worse. A nice young couple shared thier bug repellent, but were still swarmed. Suspect this trail in early to mid-fall would have been better.

Friday, July 08, 2011

when we finaaaaaly found the trail head we followed the beach down. once we got in the woods we were swarmed by mosquitoes to the point of picking up our kids and running out of the woods and back to the beach!

Monday, June 20, 2011

This trail was not maintained well and we got lost. But it was fun hiking around! My dog loved it!

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

This an out and back hike to the lighthouse at Warrior Rock. The lighthouse itself has a rather interesting little history --built in 1889, the cement structure as it stands now was built to replace the wooden lighthouse sometime in the 1920s. As for the trail itself, there are some important issues to take note of. My husband and I had read elsewhere that a day use parking permit would cost 3 dollars. When we arrived at the general store, we found out it is actually 7 dollars. There are more than one place to buy permits at so no need to stop at the first store you see. Also, finding the trailhead is a little tricky as we found out the hard way, never having visited this trail before, we now know what to do. When you arrive at the parking area which is at the dead end of a gravel road, the trailhead (behind the posted signs) is totally overgrown with blackberry bushes. So, instead of starting there you should walk down to the beach, then walk along the beach, hugging the line of trees and blackberry bushes until you see the narrow ridge above you on your left with the fence running along it. Go up to this ridge where you'll find a narrow trail. This narrow trail will take you directly to the Warrior Rock trail. Also, be sure and follow the dirt trail when you get to the split in the road and not the gravel road. You can also find the trail if you travel down the beach a little further when you come across the rusty wreckage of some sort of weird-looking vehicle, if you look directly to your left there's a little opening to the trail. Once you're on the trail you'll have trees on either side of you with paths to the beach every so often. The trail is wide, flat for the most part although in parts it's grown over with grass. You'll catch views of the river along the way then toward the end after going through an area of tall grass you'll come to a grove and then a clearing and there you'll find the lighthouse. Behind the lighthouse there's a path leading up to the old burned down lighthouse keeper's home. All that's left is the foundation and the chimeny but there's also a nice picnic table there. This is a perfect date hike or family hike for a picnic lunch and the trail is dog friendly. We went on a Monday morning with our dog and only met one other group of hikers on our way out. The porta-potty at the trailhead was clean (!), and there's plenty of parking. Also a great place to pick blackberries later in the summer. We will definitely be hiking this trail again.