Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Santiam Wagon Road to House Rock

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(87)
Willamette National Forest

Santiam Wagon Road to House Rock is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cascadia, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 603 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Beautiful hike along an old wagon road on the Santiam River includes a giant rock, a cave, a waterfall, and a campground. The Santiam Wagon Road is a historic cattle road which goes from Sisters, Oregon to Albany, Oregon. This hike to House Rock is probably the most intact piece of the original wagon road, this segment will provide you with a true sense of early travel. The road parallels the South Santiam River and winds through lush old growth forests and crosses several tributaries along the way.

An amazing hike. Lush green forest. Lots of ferns. Amazing scenery. Waterfall at the end was rockin! Hike by an awesome campsite along the river that I'm gonna camp at sometime.

Great hike through old growth, with a variety of fungi displayed. Absolutely a beautiful area. Due to recent rains some parts of the trail are sloppy. Only one stream crossing was sketchy but all are doable.

Nice trail

Great trail, a little muddy. There are four creeks that have to be crossed to get to the falls. Three are shallow and no problem, but one of them is running high and must be waded through or you can climb across on a downed tree upstream a ways.

great trail super easy!

Easy hike, but not much to it. Only 1 spot is difficult to cross when the water is high but we got over with two dogs.

Gorgeous area!

This is Forest Service Trail 3413. It was an amazing "First Hike" to kick off 2020... only 3 other people. This is a fairly easy trail... I went from the Hwy 20 TH (just past Mt House) to the Latiwi Rd (FS 2044) gate and back, and also took the House Rock Falls loop, for a total of 6.8 miles in about 3 hours. There were two very full side creeks that I had to get across... one was fairly easy; the other was raging with mossy rocks, so I went upstream 100 feet to use a large tree that spanned it, a scramble! The old-growth firs and all the moss and water was gorgeous. This is a good one for kids and dogs.

Gorgeous scenery. Access to the falls themselves is a bit sketchy, especially if the boulders are wet. The consolation is there is a lovely rocky area of Sheep Creek that directly abuts the northern portion of the House Rock Loop. Not entirely sure about the one star review below talking about a “near death” experience. The trail is very well marked and easy to follow, and AllTrails loaded the map despite not having service. Poor route finding skills and ill preparation counts as “user error”. This trail is on the easier side of moderate.

well kept trail. seven water crossings.

We did this hike last summer. Not crowded until the very end. Pretty forest wander

The hike started off nice but ended in a near death experience . The hills are very steep and I kept tripping on falling on my ankles. Once we got down to the falls and the stream I slipped in the stream to get across. My friend and I got lost on the way back so we had to ask for help . We walked a half a mile to the highway up a steep hill and started a long journey back to the car. We almost got hit on the highway and slipped off of the side road to the falls. It took us two miles walking on the highway in the horrible heat to get to the car. Let’s just say we won’t be visiting again unless we have a death wish. Oh and not to mention the pile of dried blooded bones on the side of the highway . loved the hike!

For a Saturday, this trail was a bit spooky. I didn’t see anyone at all for almost two hours. The description said it was moderately traveled. Not my experience today. Just me and the birds. The trail is rated moderate. It must be because of the length because l didn’t feel challenged like l have on other moderate trails. I would say this is an easy trail when it hasn’t rained in awhile. Traversing creeks would increase intensity, so would dealing with mud.

easy trail. nice elevation gain. good hike. small parking area.

Beautiful easy hike through very lush and green forest. Some down trees were over 500 years old. At the turnaround there is a beautiful waterfall. Definitely worth the effort!

Sun Mar 24 2019

Sun Jan 20 2019

We recently had some rain and the trail wasn’t passable today. There is a stream that you need to cross but with the rain it was a impassable. We will come back in the summer and try it again.

Fri Sep 21 2018

Hiked this with My Sunflower on a gorgeous day. Beautiful , easy trail. Intended to look for Christmas tree ornaments placed by the ranger district but didn’t get far enough.

Mon Sep 17 2018

A nice easy hike to House Rock. The forest is pretty along the river, some old growth trees along the way and on a hot day the river and falls at House Rock are perfect to play in. Can see in rainy season some spots could be difficult to cross. Trail was well maintained in Sept 18.