Santiam Lake

Santiam Lake is a 9.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cascadia, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 9.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,443 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Amazing lake to camp at and beautiful sunrise over 3 finger Jack. Best alpine lake I have been to. Tons of bear grass all along the way and nice forest areas

Snow is all gone except for a handful of small patches near the lake. I really liked this hike and will be back since the weather didn't cooperate and blocked my view of Jack the entire time. I parked at the PCT trailhead and took the PCT about 3/4 of mile and where branches off to santiam lake trail.

Beautiful and not too difficult, but very very snowy. The second half of Santiam Trail to the lake is under several feet of snow and the lake wasn’t entirely thawed. I’d definitely do this again, but a little later in the year. Friendly faces on the trail made a tough situation more bearable. Idahoan and Oregonian hikers are the best!

There isn’t an actual connecting trail to take you from the parking lot to the trail. So you’d have to wander around a bit to find it. We went to the next parking lot for summit lake instead. You can still get to santiam lake from there

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Nice gentle climb to Santiam Lake and a spectacular view of Three Fingered Jack. Having horse camped here with a buddy several years ago, I finally talked the whole family into day-hiking it. We made a quick stop at Duffy Lake on the way up. Next time we will backpack a few nights in the area.

Monday, June 20, 2016

I had a great Father's Day weekend backpacking this trail with my dad. It was relatively easy with few areas of steep incline, but a couple of tricky stream crossings. We found a great camping spot by the lake, and a previous group of campers (presumably on horse) had left a HUGE tarp that we were able to put up to protect ourselves from the rain. The views of the lake and Three Fingered Jack were absolutely worth hiking in the rain.

Sunday, August 28, 2016