Sand Mountain Lookout

Sand Mountain Lookout is a 3.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sisters, Oregon that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.7 miles Elevation Gain: 718 feet Route Type: Out & Back

historic site

Great hike to the lookout tower today. Amazing views of more than 7 mountains, buttes, and craters. The road to get to the trailhead is a bumpy and at times rocky OHV/ATV road so you definitely need a high clearance vehicle unless you want to do a longer hike and hike from the main road. On a Sunday afternoon I only passed one dirt bike, but there were many more ATV'S in the area on Fri and Sat, so would be best to avoid those days.

Tried to do this trail in July. Although it includes the Santiam Wagon Road, it is an OHV area. I tried to park and hike in, but the dust and danger factor from the dirt bikes had me quickly heading back to my car. I will try during another season.