Salmonberry River Trail: Beaver Slide Road to Cochran Road [CLOSED]

Salmonberry River Trail: Beaver Slide Road to Cochran Road [CLOSED] is a 12.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Nehalem, Oregon that features a river. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

closed

Trail was amazing, but I would put this disclaimer that I unfortunately failed to read from others. DO NOT DRIVE A CAR TO THE BOTTOM OF BEAVER SLIDE RD, YOU WILL GET STUCK. Unfortunately had to learn this the hard way while with my wife and baby. Luckily we had enough supplies, but we were stuck about halfway back up the road on the way up and ended up hiking about 5 miles up the road until we were lucky enough to run into some locals that were able to pull us back up the road. The car survived but definitely got very scrapped and beaten. So I will say again; DO NOT GO ON THIS TRAIL WITH A CAR, YOU MUST OWN A TRUCK.

Beautiful trail minus the fact that the trail is not maintained at all and it's more trekking. Wonderful bridges and open areas that provide great views of the forest!

It was difficult in the way of debris and lack of maintenance. It was a beautiful hike with awesome artifacts to see along the way. If you’re hiking it in the winter/rain I strongly advise to wear water proof shoes and there are areas where your feet will either sink or swim.

I have hiked this trail on 3 separate occasions now, and it is my absolute favorite to date. I wouldn’t start at beaver slide unless you have a 4wd to make it down to the trail head, but you can access the other trail head in any vehicle easily. Either way I fully recommend this trail.

1. You have to find good driving directions online otherwise you'll never find the parking lot. Use your odometer!
2. Technically this trail is on private property which means that you're trespassing AND the "trail" isn't maintained.

I didn't go the whole distance but really enjoyed getting to Big Baldwin Bridge!!

So I'll first say that I didn't do the entire distance, we probably did around 3 miles or so heading east from the bottom of Beaver Slide Road toward the trailhead near Cochran Road. This small section alone was worth the effort.
DO NOT underestimate Beaver Slide Rd. I wouldn't recommend driving it unless you have the most capable of 4x4 vehicles, the ruts are truly nasty and I would estimate the grade to be around 25% at best, and nearing 40-45% at worst. The hike down is steep, but if you're coming back, the return hike up is an ass-kicker.

Ok, so once down, the rail trail is amazing. To see how nature is retaking the trail in some sections is pretty great. Sections of the rail have been washed out leaving suspended tracks, and you'll need to plan on some minor bushwhacking as well. I only scratched the surface of this hike, and from what I understand the 2 main trailheads (one at Foss Rd and one at Cochran) have very clear "no trespassing" signs all over the place. I want to investigate this more, but it seems the easier access areas could result in a fine.

This a a really neat trail BUT, lots of issues. 1. You are trespassing which I didn't know until we got to the other end of the trail where I think that most locals start out the trail at and there is a sign that the railroad is not a trail and is closed to public use which is a bummer. It says they are working on making it into a trail but it's too hazardous for public use. 2. It was very hard to find, you have no service when you get up there lucky I had navigation in my vehicle so we found it but took some time. 3. If you go to the trail head the All Trails app gives you when you get to the last part where you get to the beaver slide rd you should walk in the rest of the way. I drove a full size lifted truck down it and back and my brakes were on fire going down it and coming back my truck was flexed out on the dips you had to go through.

I'm giving it 5 starts because the trail was awesome even if it was a little sketchy in some areas. There are about 4 cool bridges and 4 tunnels. 2 of the 4 tunnels had some debris that had fallen from the roof of them which was a little nerve racking. I would go again.

If you're doing the whole trail, it's roughly 18 miles. Took us 3 days last summer, make sure you have off road tires to survive the logging road to the trail, parts of the trail were falling apart and lots of sketchy climbing to get around those parts and I don't imagine the trail being easily so able in the near future because of it. Other than that this trail was the best experience I've ever had, was hoping to catch crawdads in the river but nothing but baby trout was there. Trestles and tunnels are the big attractions to this hike. Not many people throughout the entire hike which was nice considering we partook in some target shooting

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Make sure to take a 4x4 rig if you plan to go on this trail!! Horrible roads after 9 miles into the logging roads. Maybe go with group also. Trail was good to hike on for the little bit I hiked on it. 3 stars because of the bad driving experience.

recorded