Salmonberry River: Beaver Slide Road to the Nehalem River [CLOSED]

Salmonberry River: Beaver Slide Road to the Nehalem River [CLOSED] is a 10.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nehalem, Oregon that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 10.7 miles Elevation Gain: 652 feet Route Type: Out & Back

paddle sports

closed

The Salmonberry Trail Intergovernmental Agency and the Port of Tillamook Bay Railroad have declared the route through the Salmonberry Canyon "dangerous and closed to the public." No Trespassing signs have been posted at the east and west ends of the canyon. You can still access the Salmonberry Canyon by hiking down the North Fork Salmonberry Road or Beaver Slide Road, but you can't hike the route of the railroad. Plans are being considered to construct a hiking/biking trail through the canyon with the involvement of Oregon State Parks, but these are in the exploratory stages only.

Just hiked this on Sunday November 11th 2018, Veterans Day:). I’ll never say a hike is bad, always a beautiful day in the woods and mountains. It was a 12 mile twisty turning drive to get to the trail head. Once there I noticed signs that say the trails are closed and unsafe, access is prohibited! Well we set out anyway because hey... it’s what we do. We did 3 miles out and 3 back. Nothing tremendously notable other than the river. This trail doesn’t seem very heavy used. We were literally the only people on the trail. I’d like to hike the trail in the opposite direction and see what it has to offer scenery wise. Like I said, a bad hike is still a good hike. For the beginners this would be perfect, flat and long with nice views. Can’t say I got any ticks, maybe the cold kept them from being active.

Saturday, February 10, 2018

Cool for what it is.

Tuesday, February 06, 2018

amazing time with great friends. easy hike with one mudslide to cross

Sunday, February 04, 2018

Well came back out to do the hike, I thought there were some boxes cars out here didn't see them.... why I am giving it a 2 is because I got 3 ticks on me and all of them were embedded in me. This is the first time I have been bit let alone by all 3.... TICKS TICKS TICKS

Monday, January 15, 2018

Really cool place to go, didn't quite beat my expectations though. Maybe the 'other side' of the trail/rail is much more cool. We only hiked for 1.5 hours up the trail/rail. Unfortunately I'd only give it 3 stars just because of the long drive up there. (Especially from where we live).

Monday, December 11, 2017

We didn't get to make it to far down this trail, the person I was with wasn't a hiker and didn't want to go the distance. This was a busy area we ran into 2 different groups, one was 2 guys and they climbed up to the top of the bridge by the parking. I would recommend a good pair of boots as the rocks are rather rough on regular shoes. This was a nice drive and pretty area will be back to finish it:

Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Loved the eerie feel and spookiness of it. The end is Cool, you get to climb aboard an abandoned train. Not very difficult, just long

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Great hike! Fun to cruise the tracks and follow the river.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Drive to get there is a little tricky but pretty cool overall.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

One of the best hikes I've been on. Following the old railroad tracks was tons of fun and the dogs loved it. Watch out for a landslide about 2miles into the hike you will need to climb over mud and trees.

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Wife and I did this pretty neat hike walking down railroad tracks. Best part is the huge bridge you get to walk across.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Great trail and some interesting history, just watch out for ticks!

Monday, April 11, 2016

Did the upper part with two kids and it was great! Lot of old train stuff to explore and amazing bridge with brilliant view

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Last weekend paddled from Beaverslide to Nehalem. Definitely want class 4 paddling skills. Most of the party portage chew chew, and one logjam near the end that needed portage. Beaverslide Road is the roughest road I've ever been down. But all 4-wheel drive cars made it. Lots of campers at put in. Lots of hikers along it, and a bunch of fishermen in the lower 3 miles.

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Fun trail. Hiked from Nehalem River east to what was the town of Eldridge (approx 4mi). Fairly easy trail with little to no elevation change.

Sunday, February 01, 2015

We hiked from Nehalem river to place marked as Belfort on the map, approximately 3mi upstream on the Salmonberry. The river was beautiful and the hiking was flat along the railroad tracks. We crossed three bridges, all in good condition now that the railroad is being repaired. Those repairs ended about 2 to 2.5 miles in (at this time, Jan 2015), but the trail was easy even in one place where the tracks are washed out. We saw about 6 people fishing and three other hikers.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The trail was relatively simple. It felt like we hiked in on an old logging road that was above the river. So it wasn't all that scenic, since the trail was carved out of the side of a hill. So below was the river and to the left was the side of a hill. Perfect for the first hike, no way to get lost. There were a couple of "crossings", one a rocky crossing we had to go slow and one a water crossing which got my feet wet as I carried the kids. We found out what trekking poles were used for. We highly recommend this investment!

Thursday, August 09, 2018