EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Saddle Mountain Trail

Saddle Mountain Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Seaside, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The highest point in northwest Oregon, this saddle-shaped peak commands a panorama from the ocean to Mount St. Helens. The climb is especially popular in May and June, when wildflowers fill the mountain's meadows with the richest floral display in the Coast Range. The trail starts at an easy pace and begins to zig-zag after about 1 mile. The trail gets progressively steeper and more arduous as it gains height. Just before the saddle it levels out prior to a descent between the two peaks. A steeper trail then takes you to the summit.

First time and it was beautiful! 360* views at the top are amazing. Well with the journey. OB#8425

Wonderful conditions today and perfect views - can this really be December?

Good

Hiked it yesterday early and didn’t see a single person (a plus in my book). Don’t know if it’s normal, but it was extremely windy up top (almost took off my beanie) once the trees were gone so fair warning cold and windy...I was very underdressed. Physically I did not find this hike too tough, the challenging part was navigating up/down some of the steeper terrain that was rocky with metal fencing material that they use to prevent erosion and help with traction. Take it slow and you’ll be fine. Parts of the trail have water streaming down it (not deep, about the depth of shoe soles). so hopefully you don’t have holes in your shoes to let water in. Overall great hike with what I’d assume would be great views had it not been Winter. Dress properly for the cold and wind chill up top and take it slow when terrain looks sketchy and you’ll be in for a treat.

One of my favorite hikes of all time! It could be considered difficult if you were to judge the trail from the beginning part and the end of the trail. Super steep at the start and end -with the middle, and majority of the hike being moderate. Very slippery in the winter, but as long as you have decent shoes and sure footing you will be fine. I hiked in vans and I only fell once at the top.

Big fan! Have done it several times and have never seen it clear

One of the best trails I've been on. I hiked it solo, but I would recommend any new hikers to go with a buddy. It gets pretty aggressive towards the end so be careful with your footing!

Made it halfway - got a bit dicey for me with the rocks at the upper trail. Still beautiful and plan to do the whole thing sometime in the future!

It felt mystical standing at the top with clouds swirling all around me. There were enough breaks to see the grand views. It was cold but felt great. Hiked on 10/11 and clocked 4.75 on my GPS.

Today was an amazing day for this hike! Clear sky’s and great views.

It was cloudy but still beautiful! Would like to go back on a clear day.

I've hiked this trail 3 times now and every single time it's been too cloudy at the top to see anything.

Really cloudy but it was still beautiful. I'll definitely try it again when the sky is a little more clear.

Ow.

Great views, easy enough up-hill hike. The erosion prevention is weird to step on.

This is an amazing hike! Very beautiful views. I recommend staying on the fence grating path during the final stretch of the hike. The rocks next to it seem safe but the gravel is actually very slick. I slid on it, and I saw another hiker actually fall.

Took about an hour to get up to the top, but we could see Mt Rainier, Mt Helena, Mt Adams, Mt Hood,the Columbia River, and the Pacific! Felt like 60 mph wind at the top, but it was worth it

I can't understand how this is considered a moderate hike....I've run 4 marathons, can withstand hot yoga in 110 degree heat and am an active person overall...this was hard. An absolutely stunning and definitely worth the pain hike, but a challenge no doubt. Moderate doesn't come to mind at all. Maybe my muscles just aren't built for hiking - I'll give that a think.

One of the most beautiful and rewarding hikes I've ever done! Stunning views and landscape from start to finish. Didn't find it that challenging - good, moderate workout. Will definitely be returning again and again! Highly recommend to anyone who is in good shape, and wants a relatively short hike with absolutely stunning scenery and breathtaking views.

Gorgeous trail, but I wouldn't consider it a moderate trail.