Saddle Mountain Trail

Saddle Mountain Trail is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Seaside, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The highest point in northwest Oregon, this saddle-shaped peak commands a panorama from the ocean to Mount St. Helens. The climb is especially popular in May and June, when wildflowers fill the mountain's meadows with the richest floral display in the Coast Range. The trail starts at an easy pace and begins to zig-zag after about 1 mile. The trail gets progressively steeper and more arduous as it gains height. Just before the saddle it levels out prior to a descent between the two peaks. A steeper trail then takes you to the summit.

Great hike - be prepared that it's all up hill going out. The ending is worth it though!

CLOSED TODAY DUE TO “DANGEROUS CONDITIONS”.

Signs at the trail head still say closed. The area that “closed” the trail is a dried washed out creek. Easily crossed considering the the rest of the hike takes good footing with loose rock. Also passed the park workers replacing the bridge. Second time hiking this, always love the burn towards the top. Bug spray would be helpful :)

Steep but rewarding hike. Get there early on a weekend to avoid the crowds. I wish I would have brought trekking poles; there are many areas with loose gravel going up.

Arrived about 11am and was perfect timing as a handful of the early morning hikers just arriving back to the parking lot so got a close spot. trail is well thought out zigzagging up the first 45 minutes into the hike or about half way. good thi g as it saved some energy for the 2nd half that was much needed. beautiful views trail are a challenge if you dont stay on the metal fencing they have nailed into the ground. at one point a bridge had broken and was very slick leaning to the down hill side, so just be aware and go slow. this hike is hard not hard for the avg hiker. so many ages and body types through out the day. dont be discouraged as the views are amazing and the feeling of success us even better. enjoy as I will do this hike again.

Great hike with beautiful views of Mounts Rainier, St Helens, Adams and Hood. The wires are great for traction but there are a lot of broken wires that might not be good for smaller dogs.

My daughter and I completed our second hike of Saddle Mountain Trail. We were hopeful for a clear day at the summit. On the way up we were teased with breaks of big blue sky and bright sunshine But after a 1 hour and 15 min hike up, we arrived to a disappointing set of dense clouds.

Despite no view we had a fun day attacking the 5 mile loop and 1,972’ elevation. The trail was busy but not too bad for a Saturday. The plant vegetation narrows the trail in many places.

I do hate the heavy metal mess (looks like chain link fence) they lay on the trail to manage erosion. It can be deadly slippery if your not cautious., even on a dry day.

so gorgeous! 360 views, wild flowers, cool rock formations...the last bit is steep but worth it

Awesome hike! Pretty steep at some points, but stunning views. Tons of bugs at the very top, but there are places near the top to enjoy the views that are much less buggy. Bring plenty of water and sunscreen, very little shade the second half of the hike.

This was an easy hike... but SUPER gnarly at the end! The views the entire time were absolutely stunning with lots of great spots to take breaks and get some good photos and views, and even though the parking lot was full (arrived around 1pm) the trail wasn’t as crowded as you’d assume. Mostly direct sun exposure and very difficult and tiring at times, so 100% bring a LOT of water, sunscreen, and good hiking shoes and poles or walking sticks if you have them. The rocks toward the peak are VERY slippery and it’s easy to fall or lose your footing, but it’s doable (two of my friends were in converse and made it out alright!). Last mile is the hardest, but just take your time and push through it and the views are absolutely worth it! Took my group about 2.5 hours to get up (LOTS of breaks and photo ops), and just under an hour to get back down. 7/12/18

Not a very difficult hike, but the grade gets pretty steep toward the top. This wouldn’t be possible to hike for the average person without special gear if it weren’t for the fencing and wires they have near the top to help keep your footing. There are plenty of awesome views all throughout the hike.

My favorite hike near the Oregon coast. Lots of elevation gain and absolutely breathtaking views of 3 snow capped peaks (Hood, St. Helens, Adams) Astoria, and the mighty Columbia River dumping into the great Pacific Ocean.

Pretty fun hike. It’s short and steep at the summit. The reward for reaching the top is pretty cool ... if the clouds lift.

7/5/18 My favorite hikes are the ones with views for the majority of the hike, not just the top. This is that hike! Views all around! Steady climb and then big climb for the last .5 mile or so. The steep parts have metal fencing on the rocks so if you are wearing proper hiking shoes it grips perfectly making the decent easy peasy. I noticed some people with poles kept getting them stuck in the fencing. Bring lots of water, light jacket for the top and an open heart to take in all the magnificent beauty!

06/16/2018
This is a fun hike. Yes, it does get steep in certain areas. But you're climbing a mountain. The trail can be narrow but not overgrown. This was the summer so it was pretty dry. If it was spring I could see it being wet and muddy. All that being said, there's great viewpoints, it is dog friendly and the views at the summit are great. You can see the coast and inland. The trail is 65% shaded. Lastly, the wire. Yes bits are poking out and it could be a problem for your dog. But it helps tremendously with footing and our dog, and multiple other dogs made it just fine.

My son (8.5yr) and I climbed it (6/30/2018). Great views until the final summit. It was clouded in, but a great hike. He enjoyed it and was his first Mt. to summit. We made it to the top in 2.25hr and 1.5hr back to the bottom. The trail was a bit slick due to recent mist. Parking lot was almost full by 10am but that is due to weather. Get their earlier if you don't want to walk up the road to the trailhead. Bring a wind jacket as it can get windy near the top. Plenty of flowers this time of year.

Beautiful trail with wildflowers, gorgeous rock formations, and breathtaking views. Lush, green trails were icing on the cake.

Well worth the effort! My 16 year old daughter and I made it up in 2 hours, down in one hour, with plenty of stops on way up. Amazing view! Rocks are bit slippery on way down, be careful.

great hike, no water source, exposed to sun about 1/2, parking lot full by 9am

This is my favorite hike in Oregon. Gorgeous scenery the whole way and quite a work out once you get towards the top. I highly recommend checking the weather forecast and going during a clear day so you can experience the stunning view fully.

Fantastic hike! Trail was very scenic. On the way up it was very cloudy but cleared up on the way down. Would absolutely recommend this hike to others! Need hiking shoes.

Very crowded trail and not really a difficult trail. Not sure why people say it is hard, guess it is relative. We chose a good time to go, just after the morning wave of people and at the middle of the second wave of afternoon hikers. This put us at the top with few people and a very nice uncrowded hike back down. Only 4 cars in parking lot when we got back. The wildflowers were spectacular!

This is one of my all time favorite hikes. It is beautiful in every season. But spring and summer are especially beautiful, with the wildflowers blooming mountainside. The trail gets progressively more steep towards the top, but the view is absolutely worth it. You can see from Mt Hood to the coast. Breath taking. If brining dogs, be aware that there is metal wiring holding the trails down and paw pads are prone to damage.

Unfortunately the top was completely socked in by clouds today so no view, but lots of beautiful wildflowers and we enjoyed the physical challenge. The downside was a lot of hikers running their mouths at top volume every step of the way. I would have liked to hear the birds and the drizzle drip through the trees.

This was a phenomenal & most exciting trail I have hiked since I moved here. I brought my dog & I think he did better than me! It was a bit steeper than I expected but I didn’t plummet till I summit! I will take this trail again to bask in the beauty of the ocean views, wild flower scent & the greenery the trail offers.

This trail was amazing. If you go on a clear day you won’t be disappointed. You can see the Columbia river flowing into the pacific in the distance and the whole coastline. It really is spectacular when you are that high up. Pictures don’t even do it justice. This is a must hike! Prepare your knees for a brutal descent though... going up is almost easier than coming back down!

Great trail ! Flowers are just gorgeous right now. See my photos here: https://insearchofthevery.com/2018/06/18/wild-is-my-favorite-flower/

This is a tough hike! It had so many parts of steady decent incline. I was shocked. Tough to go down too because you’re using all your muscles to balance. Great hike though. It was clear when we went so you could see the Columbia and the Pacific.

Love this hike! It’s a fun challenge. There’s a lot of diversity and amazing views to distract you from the climb. I did this hike on 6/16/18 and there were a good variety of wildflowers throughout the entire hike.

One of the best hikes in all or Oregon!