Saddle Mountain Trail

Saddle Mountain Trail is a 4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Seaside, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The highest point in northwest Oregon, this saddle-shaped peak commands a panorama from the ocean to Mount St. Helens. The climb is especially popular in May and June, when wildflowers fill the mountain's meadows with the richest floral display in the Coast Range. The trail starts at an easy pace and begins to zig-zag after about 1 mile. The trail gets progressively steeper and more arduous as it gains height. Just before the saddle it levels out prior to a descent between the two peaks. A steeper trail then takes you to the summit.

This was a difficult trail for us but we had a blast! The dogs handled it well and you couldn't beat the view!

I’ve hiked to the top 3 times, all ended up being foggy days haha. Stunning flowers I’ve never seen before in all my other PNW hikes. Something about thermal winds blowing off the coast almost directly uphill. The chain link mesh they put down into the ground is slippery if you’re wearing sandals. I almost always wear hiking sandals because I’m from the PNW. As long as everything is natural I do fine so that kinda caught me off guard. I’ve done the trail really stoned and a bit tipsy. I wouldn’t recommend this though I personally had a blast. It felt like the movie Gorillas In The Mist and I was smelling all the different flower varieties. Anyway, wear shoes that work with the chain link mesh. Someday I’ll catch the view ;)

well maintained trail, but it is longer then 4 miles. i clocked 6.2 miles. very steep at time but the view at the end is worth it!! on a good day, views of 4 mountains and the ocean. start earlier in the morning cause a lot of the uphill is in the sun near the saddle!

Well maintained trail with wire mesh covering steeper sections, especially near the top. The trail begins gently through a wooded section the steepens approaching the “saddle.” On the way up there are beautiful vistas. From the saddle you can see the goal including the much steeper trail to the top. Beautiful views to the south and west. On a clear day you can see the cities of Seaside and Astoria.
Wildflowers are in bloom now.

Awesome single day! Gorgeous views with scenic out looks along the Way!

This hike is some work, but totally worth it. Wildflowers are beautiful and the trail worth it even though the views remained shrouded in fog. Go early for fewer people, but go later to make sure to let the fog burn off if views are your purpose.
Dogs are allowed and we saw a lot in the trail, but I’m not sure I would have brought mine. With the mesh covering the last third, I’d be worried about paws getting cut. And if your doggo isn’t trail savvy or they pull, it could be dangerous on some of the steepest inclines.

The last half mile is the hardest. other than that it is a moderate hike with some beautiful flowers. Too foggy to see much today but definitely worth it. Coming down we notice a huge growth in visitor so go early.

6 miles not 4. Beautiful, challenging but not insane. Flowers are gorgeous. Was too foggy to see much at 7am-12, but much less busy than on the way down.

I did this trail in July last year and it was great. I was out of shape and it quickly brought me back. The trail is maintained and there is a clear way up. Wildflowers were present and in full bloom. Totally reccomend.

Very good hike with great views. We tried going today but the road was closed

The road is open to the trailhead.

The view from the top makes the grind MORE than worth it. Bring walking sticks if you have them!

I just want to write a review to call out all the dumb asses who are giving this hike a 1 star review because the road is closed.

If you look up the hike online or call you can clearly see that there are plenty of notices that the road is closed until 05/12/2018.

This amazing hike doesn't deserve a 1 star review because of your own stupidity.

CHECK BEFORE GOING ! They are finally fixing the road - it was closed when my son and I went yesterday I think it will be one more week

Closed! 5/5/18

Great hike couple gravel areas but overall beautiful views when you get to the top. Several large potholes on the drive to the trailhead.

Good hike. The road going to the trail has deep / large potholes drive with caution.

Tough climb but awesome views from the every look out and the summit was amazing. The ocean to the 4 peaks gives this hike a one of a kind view point! I really enjoyed it!

This was a grueling uphill ascent but worth the views once we reached the last half of the trail. Trails were well maintained but the first portion of the hike was not scenic.

Well maintained trail, borders on 'hard' difficulty at times being rather steep. No snow today.
My hike said it was 5.8 miles, which is significantly longer than the 4 that I anticipated. Granted, I took the Humbug viewpoint detour but that's only .4 round trip. Not sure how I got an extra mile. But all around very satisfying and I'm now very exhausted:

Fantastic hike! Took about an hour & 45 to get up and a little less than an hour to come back down. Gorgeous views! I brought a small dog and he did fine but was very tired out by the end.

I had a perfect day for hiking. Had A skiff of snow the night before, but the sun came out and the view was incredible.

Good hike!

Hiked this trail yesterday on a whim. It was really fun and really dramatic. Although it started off temperate and spitting rain, as the elevation climbed and I rose into the clouds it started snowing and the wind picked up. There wasn’t much in the way of views but that’s only because of the thickness of the clouds. Still some snow at the top. It’s manageable, just take your time. Will definitely be back to try this one again.

We planned to hike Saddle Mountain last weekend, but the report about knee-deep snow made us reschedule. We hiked Sunday, March 11. Arrived at trailhead around 9:00 am. Parking wasn’t an issue at that time. The first mile is snow-free, but there’s still a considerable amount of snow on the trail once you pass the first rocky lookout. The snow was slushy and very slippery in places. I was thankful to have my microspikes. Unless you are very surefooted, I felt microspikes were necessary. I saw several people take a few spills. Just read on the news this morning that the Coast Guard had to rescue someone who slipped on the snow last night. As we were coming down, a lot of people headed up did not look prepared for the snow they would encounter. Be safe out there! Overall, it was a great day though, with clear views of all the peaks. We finished just as the trail was starting to get very crowded, so if you plan to head out in the next few days, be prepared for the snow and try to arrive early.

Great hike with great views. Climbed March 4th with no special snow gear. The few feet of snow on the top third of the hike was hard and easily walked on. One of my favorite hikes during my stay in the PNW.

Did this hike Sunday March 4, starting 7:30am to about 11:30am with stopping and the additional viewpoint of .2 mile around .3 miles from the start of the trail. The Snow was packed and this hike was lush and really breathtaking views along the way. I highly recommend starting after sunrise because the visibility is the best early on. Around 10am the clouds came in with fog!
Enjoy!!!

by far the best and most rewarding hike I've done. It's difficult at times but mostly pretty steady and the views along the way are stunning and make amazing pictures.

Headed up the trail at 10am today. There are lots of snow still and we actually had to turn around about mile 1.5. We weren't prepared for snow and it got above knee deep at a couple of spots. We did run into another pair coming up and they looked more prepared than us so I'm curious how it went for them and their dog. We look forward to going back when the snow and clouds clear a bit. We did encounter some major pot-holes on the road leading up to the parking lot where the trailhead was at. There are some flags to warn you but it didn't help much.

Gorgeous and easy to get to. Pretty tough at the end but totally worth it.

About 37F and driving rain when we left the car.

The middle section was more or less a stream running down and in some parts across the trail.

Once we got out of the trees we were in our own world of white, very limited visibility and howling wind blowing snow and ice pellets.

We got within a a hundred yards or so of the summit (I'm estimating) but this is one of the few hikes I've ever chickened out of completing because of weather conditions being too poor. The wind was so strong that it just didn't feel safe continuing.