Saddle Mountain Trail

Saddle Mountain Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Seaside, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1968 feet

The highest point in northwest Oregon, this saddle-shaped peak commands a panorama from the ocean to Mount St. Helens. The climb is especially popular in May and June, when wildflowers fill the mountain's meadows with the richest floral display in the Coast Range. The trail starts at an easy pace and begins to zig-zag after about 1 mile. The trail gets progressively steeper and more arduous as it gains height. Just before the saddle it levels out prior to a descent between the two peaks. A steeper trail then takes you to the summit.

The intense hike to the top was well worth the view!!! We went in late May so it wasn't too hot but warm enough to not have to carry a jacket. Make sure you bring plenty of water and even a snack to eat, as the last incline to the top is the most strenuous. I am not the most experienced hiker and was still able to pull through to the end!!

Fun little hike, definitely wear hiking shoes though it would be down right silly not too. Great views up top of the ocean and surrounding Volcanoes.

Moderate, slow gain of elevation. The last quarter mile is steep. Definitely need hiking shoes- not running shoes. Wildflowers are abundant and the views are breathtaking.

This was my second time. The first was 15 years ago. This time I was with boys ages 6 yr old, 8 yr old, and 9 yr old. We made it up in 2 hours and back down in 1 hour. We had a great time!

Amazing views. Wildflowers in bloom. Didn't have any traction issues with road running shoes on the wire mesh holding the trail together - it was nice and dry. Worth exploring the .2 mile spur at the head of the trail - get a vantage of the mountain you will climb. :)

Amazing views! It was a medium hike, but for people that are super fit, it could be hard. It is a dog friendly trial. I have a corgi and she made it all the way to the top. The vegetation was also spectacular! So many wild flowers!

Went on a foggy morning. It was amazing. Definitely a wear hiking boots trail. Rocky and slippery

Awesome hike, but be warned the last jog to the top is pretty brutal!

My husband and I did this hike on Saturday the 25th. We enjoy taking our time so that we can look at all of the plants, animals, and views along the way. Make sure that you have adequate shoes. I wore my normal running shoes and that was a mistake. The front of my shoes kept snagging in the chain link along the ground causing me to trip and have to watch my feet more that what was around me. Overall, one of my favorite hikes.
As far as the difficulty goes, I would say it is "moderate to hard". For my husband who isn't as active as I am, the trail was pretty difficult and he was really hurting over the next couple of days, but he made it and really enjoyed the hike regardless. There are a few picnic tables to take breaks at, so that was helpful.

Excellent hike! My first hike in years, hadn't done any cardio recently but was still able to make the hike without any problems!

Good trail for decent view on a nice day. Lots of flowers and cool rock formations on the way up but exposed at the top. Steep climb near the end. Moderate trail if you are fit but could be considered difficult for some people. If you are fit it will take you longer to get here from
Portland than the time spent on the trail. It took me 1:20 to complete and I was going at a slow walk pace at the bottom.

Do this trail on the way to or from the coast so you get the most value for your drive.