Sacajawea Peak Trail

Sacajawea Peak Trail is a 13.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Joseph, Oregon that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

The Wallowas are a beautiful range and well worth checking out. I would give this a four star but my buddy and I had a bit of a misadventure on this one. We started from Hurricane Creek trailhead and ended up overshooting the barely visible trail which would lead across Hurricane Creek losing about 3 hours in the process once we recovered. Traversal of the creek was dicey, we had to use downed logs to get across.

The trail eventually gets steep before opening up in a meadow. Our resources were a bit depleted from the misadventure so we were thankful to see a creek high up where we could refill water.

Then we began the final traverse. The snow season ended early this year, so the final ascent was entirely made of scree. There is a small trail that ends up disappearing in places which adds to the confusion of route finding.

Thankfully, we made the ridge and had to perform a couple class 2 scrambles on the ridge line to reach the summit where a couple cairns are setup.

The views were excellent as we can see well into the Wallowas, making the early pains worth the payoff.

The down climb was a little rougher as we were running on empty and the skree was killer on our feet. But my buddy and I made it to the trailhead bagging one of the great peaks of Oregon!

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Was an awesome hike! We hiked up to a base camp in the snow then hiked the summit the following next day. It's a pretty difficult hike so I would definitely say that it's a two day hike. Glacading down from the summit to base camp was a lot of fun.