Rogue River Trail

Rogue River Trail is a 37.1 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Grants Pass, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 37.1 miles Elevation Gain: 4,419 feet Route Type: Point to Point

cave

historic site

This is a trail that cuts through Rogue River Wild and Scenic, and the Rogue River Wilderness on the north shore of the Rogue At Grave Creek, on the South side of the river, there is a short out-and back hike to Raney Falls. The view of the falls is much more impressive from that side than from the north The Rogue River itself is closed to motorized boats from Grave Creek to Blossom Bar rapids. Below Foster Bar the River is open to motorized boats but the bordering land is Wilderness. The river is popular with rafters, kayakers, and drift boaters. There is year round salmon and steelhead fishing. Hikers share campsites with boaters. There are restrictions on fire usage. There is a popular day hike to Whiskey Creek, 3.3 miles one way from the trail head. Whiskey Creek has an old Gold Miner's cabin. It is possible to drive to a spot above Whiskey Creek and make a steep hike down to the cabin; it is far less enjoyable than the river trail There are currently 3 lodges operating on this trail - Black Bar Lodge, Paradise Lodge, and Marial Lodge. Some people hike this route with day packs and get food and lodging from the lodges. At Black Bar you need to ring their bell for someone to come to row you across. Some people float down the river and hike the approx. 40 miles back

Hiked in 2.5 days. Nice even in the off season.

This trail was amazing. Hiked the 40 miles over 3 days. would recommend allowing for 4 days though. went during April, trail had lots of water sources available throughout. The 2 remote Resorts that you pass by are closed this time of year. There is no cell service anywhere so be prepared. Absolutely stunning scenery abound. Will do this one again one day.

May 24-29. Grave creek to foster bar. Really beautiful. So many different landscapes. A GREAT workout. Only tricky in a few areas where there trail was extremely narrow on loose gravel with a drop off. Saw an average of 2 groups of people a day in passing. Lots of solitude. Most of the trail is in the shade. There’s a section around mile 20 or so that is very exposed and hot, with no water sources for a while so just make sure you’re always getting water when you can. I am very scared of heights and reading the earlier reviews was nervous, but I felt totally comfortable. Plenty of campsites and places to get water. We hiked 4.5 miles in the morning, took a couple hour break, 4.5 miles in the afternoon and set up camp for the night. This was a really relaxing pace for us, while still getting a good work out in. We are both women in our 20s, in shape. Would not recommend: -camping at slate slide, LOTS of mosquitos, not the greatest of views. Worst camp site we stayed at during our time. -making the trek down to winkle bar / to see the cabin. Very hot, no shade, not a pretty river sand bar. This is also where raft trips take breaks so it’s loud and busy. Would HIGHLY recommend: -stopping for a break at horseshoe bend. Completely worth the hike down to the river for a BEAUTIFUL open windy spot by the river. Shade offered by massive rocks. -camping at meadow creek. Beautiful camp site. Not many mosquitos. Naturally windy. -Right before the meadow creek bridge there is a path that will bring you down to the river- beautiful little cove area to swim and relax in the water. -spending time by blossom bar creek, natural little water slides into different pools of water in the creek. No bugs. -camping at upper solitude. Beautiful, windy, a little buggy but fine. Bathroom! -spending time at flora dell creek. Swimming hole with waterfall no bugs Did not see bears! We did use a bear bell attached to one of our packs and had bear spray. Did see a rattlesnake. It let us know it was there. We shooed it off the trail with a stick.

Went from grave creek to foster bar assisted by raft. I enjoyed the hike more than rafting but both were great. The trail is not too hilly with an amazing, varying landscape. We stayed at Black Bar lodge our first night then Murial and Paradise Lodge. Definitely take the short detour to check out the mining cabin as well as Zane Grey's cabin at Winkle Bar. Rogue River ranch is also worth it.

Truly wonderful hike along the wild and scenic Rogue. First mile is rocky with a lot of up and down but then it levels off and becomes easier. Spur trail down to Rainie Falls not really worth taking- you can’t see much of the falls and there are fields of poison oak. The cabin at Whiskey Creek is worth the detour, both for the history and for the idyllic setting. Great camp sites on the west side of Whiskey Creek. I didn’t stay but I will return.

Started on 5/25/19 and exited on 5/27. Out and back. Graves Creek to Horseshoe Bend. 22 miles round trip. Got caught in the rain at the start and it made the first mile touchy and lots of slippery spots next to steep cliffs. Rain cleared up fast and the rest of the trip was awesome. spots are well marked and theres tons of locations so you dont have to worry about others if you dont want to. lots of easy access to water. Dont trust the maps when the say bathroom at sight. We found only one. Some small slides and a few obstructions since this last winter. All were manageable with just a little extra patience. Lots of up and down past Tyee Campsite but nothing crazy that a steady pace wont overcome. Most every campsite was clean and generally free of debris. hikers are treating the sites well and carrying out their trash. Recomend to anyone who can handle hills and doesnt mind heights.

I went with 6 other guys. we loved it! People said ticks, no one got one. We saw poison oak, but the thing about poison oak is that you have a good 2 hours to rub the oil off your skin with a clothe and you won't have any side effects. None of us got poison oak. the water was cold, but I went in anyway and had a blast! This trail was amazing and gorgeous, if you are thinking about doing this trail you should most definetly do it. We had. http://www.galice.com/ drive our car to the "out" in our through hike which was half way @ Rogue River Ranch. posted a few pictures. THIS WAS A WEEK AGO.

A few buddies and I hiked 40 miles along the rogue River Trail. We hiked from Graves Creek to Foster Bar. The trail winds along the river the whole way occasionally taking you into the forest and into beautiful open Meadows covered in wildflowers. Along the river the mountain has been carved out and you hike with Cliffside’s on your right and the river below you. If you are afraid of heights be aware the trail can be very narrow in some points and along high cliffs. The weather was almost perfect with temperatures topping out in the upper 50s and reaching down to mid 40s in the evening. We occasionally had sprinkles of rain and on the second day it did downpour on us while we were setting up camp. Oregon weather in the month of May is very unpredictable. If we would have hiked the same trail a week prior it would’ve been in the 90s. There was a lot of poison oak so if you plan on hiking this trail be prepared for that. There are also ticks, and bears so come prepared to deal with the wildlife and critters as well. We only saw one or two sites with bear boxes so come prepared to hang your food and consider bringing bear spray. Many of the toilets along the way we're locked for us but I'm assuming they will be open starting on Memorial Day weekend. Parts of The trail were also not very well kept with downed trees we had to climb over or go off trail to treverse.

Walked Graves Creek to Foster Bar in 4 days starting on 5/18/19. Trail was in very good condition overall with some downed trees that were easy to walk around. Significant trail obstruction just past Paradise that lead us down a 15ft dirt scramble. Wonderful campsites! We camped by the river all 3 nights on the sand and always had them to ourselves. Most “river access” sites were an easy side trail down from the main route. Not overly difficult with few climbs or decents over 100ft. Trail surface was mixed with some rock, gravel, dirt, and vegetation. Steep drop offs to the river on several sections. Glad I didn’t bring my hound. End is a little tricky with the trail cutting through several fenced pastures just before ending. We had a local company shuttle our truck to the end and had no issues with that. Highly recommended!

Did this trail to Rainie Falls with a 4year old and 9 year old. Trail was narrow and cliff side in portions but not terribly steep or scary. Just held hands. Mild elevation changes and great scenery! To note: POISON OAK lines the trail, increasing amounts as you get closer to the falls. A couple places it was hard to avoid.

April 27-28, 2019. Amazing 2 days on the trail. Saw black bear, king snake, many birds and lizards and all the beautiful wild flowers. Yes., There are bears, ticks, poison oak and rattle snakes..., just shared the trail with respect and admiration.

Absolutely stunning in the spring.

Mon Oct 08 2018

The first 11 or so miles is REALLY up and down. If I were to do this hike again, I would start halfway and just do the last 20 miles for scenery. I wouldn’t do the first 20 miles again. The trail is most often a long distance from the river and only seldom affords a view of the river you came to enjoy. I would recommend this if you’re in good shape and don’t mind the constant undulations of up and down on the trail.

Mon Sep 10 2018

I only completed 19 terrifying miles on this trail. Of the 19 miles at least 85% was narrow trail (less then 30”) along a cliff edge any where from 100 to 700 feet above the river, rock wall on one side and precipitous drop off on the other. I am afraid of heights and circumstances (private raft support) had me definitely completing more miles then I was comfortable with. The trail has many slides and several obstructions. It is a continual up and down. We were told that Devils Backbone was closed because of a slide leaving Huggins as your only alternative. This trail really should have a “fear of heights” advisory

Tue Sep 04 2018

Just finished this as an out and back (starting and ending at the Rogue River Trailhead on the West side). 80 miles in 3 days. It was amazingly beautiful (though I liked the first 20 and last 20 miles the most). And one reason I picked this trail was because of the lack of crowds. Yes, there are rafters down below, but I saw only two small groups of backpackers and two other small groups of hikers the whole 80 miles. Finding a spot to camp can be challenging. Especially because of the holiday (Labor Day weekend), people rafted in to camp ... so most of the spots right in the water were crowded. I ended up setting up camp far away from their noise. I was not expecting part of the trail was on pavement ... I thought I made a wrong turn so added a couple of miles. Also, since there are plenty of other paths (especially to get to the river), you can easily make a wrong turn. Also appreciated that there was a water source (that I filtered) at least every 4 miles (many times much closer). This hike is NOT HARD. Moderate IMO. The blackberry bushes can be annoying ... and be careful walking through the flattened long grass as I tripped a couple of times. Would love to hike this trail again starting from the East side.

Sun Jul 15 2018

Did this in a leisurely 7 days in mid-July. The scenery was spectacular and the trail was well-engineered and well-maintained. A few things to keep in mind: - Be prepared for 100-degree temps at this time of year. - Most of the trail is 50-100 feet above the river, so don't expect to use the river for midday drinking or swimming. There are many campsites by the river, though. At this time of year, there were still plenty of creeks crossing the trail for drinking water. - Poison oak is everywhere. - Outside of the designated camping areas, and even inside them, there are few level places to pitch a tent or even to sit down. You're always on the side of a hill. I was glad to have a hammock instead of a tent. - In many places, you're walking a narrow trail on a steep scree hillside, which can be intimidating. Beautiful place though!

Tue Jun 26 2018

Hands down my favorite backpacking location. I have done it 2 years now and it has become a yearly tradition. Every day offers gorgeous and unique scenery, just be cautious of the ticks and poison oak which are everywhere. IF YOU HAVE A DOG I highly recommend putting dog boots on them for the rocky areas until you get to Blossom Bar. Last year I made the mistake of not bringing boots for my dog. His feet were really beaten up even though he has pretty tough paw pads and hikes often.

Sat Jun 23 2018

Awesome trail. Hiked from Grave creek to horseshoe bend where we camped for the night. Did a day hike starting late our second day to Kelsie creek to fish and swim. Then hiked out our third day. Beautiful weather and gorgeous views. Loved the challenge of the hike and immediately wanted more. Next time we are hiking the entirety of the trail.

Mon Jun 18 2018

I went for a day-hike on the Rogue River trail in mid-June, on a partly cloudy day. I parked at the Grave Creek boat-ramp lot. The first thing I saw was a brand-new jeep with broken windows, doors and hood open. Parking overnight here for a multi-day trip might not be the best idea when planning a backpacking trip. The trailhead IS remote, at least 20 to 30 minutes from populated centers. The route I followed was an out-and-back with a turnaround point at Black Bar, just across from the lodge. This make it a little shy of the 20 miles mark which I reached by making a side trip to Rainie falls (NOT the official Rainie Falls trails on the south bank, just the .5 miles spur on the north bank) and walking across the bridge to the south bank trailhead upon my return to the parking area. The 9.3 miles to Black Bar start with a 2 miles section that is probably the most “difficult” one of the route. It is quite rocky, exposed, and consists of a succession of ups and downs that do not provide your legs and lungs with a nice progressive warm-up. All along this section, you can see the Rainie falls trail across the river, on the south bank. One advantage of the lack of cover is that this section provides the best open/sweeping views of the Rogue River Valley (for the first 10 miles anyway as I did not go further than Black Bar…) The next 5 miles or so are less schizophrenic; the trail has more long-ish level sections, with softer and easier footing, and is shaded most of the time. It is also where the first series of campsites can be found if starting late for a multi-day trip. Large parties, including rafting groups, appear to make Whiskey Creek one of their favorites; there are however more camping options on the west side of the creek where a pit toilet is located. West of Whiskey creek, and until mile 7 or so, a few short spurs descend to the river’s edge and access a limited number of primitive camp sites. Most of them are in proximity to the few creeks that flow down to the rogue. The last 2.5 miles, the trail becomes noticeably more rocky and with a bit of an “ascent” west of Bronco creek before descending back down to Bunker creek; this is followed by a shorter ascent to the junction with the Black Bar spur trail dropping down to the river. The edge of the river is quite rocky here with a very narrow sandy incline that does not provide much of a "beach" or comfortable lunch “accommodations”. At approximately mile 2, the spur trail to Rainie falls (.5 miles round-trip) descends quickly to the valley floor (some campsites here) and then becomes rapidly overgrown and rocky as it cuts its way through the jumble of boulders and lush vegetation covering the river bed. The views of the falls (or rapids?) are not to die for but it is still a spot worth visiting for its proximity to the river. As noted by many, the valley is a favorite of wildlife too and I came across the mandatory rattlesnake (well, I heard its warning from the steep slope to my left, apparently at eye level… I moved away w/o trying to locate the precise source of the rattle), but also a soaring bald eagle and many more common raptors. While the area can no doubt be very hot, there were many flowing creeks on this mid-June day and I only carried water for about 5 miles, making short stops to filter and replenish at good flowing streams. The trails is mostly high up on the north slope of the Valley. A sign around the 1 miles mark shows the historical high water mark at 55 feet above the summer time river bed (!) and that is about the average height of the trail which only dips to the floor at Whisky Creek (vast and flat area) and at a handful of much smaller creeks. I did not meet anyone on the trail for the 9.3 miles in but met about half a dozen backpacking parties when I retraced my steps in the afternoon. All day, rafts were working their way down the river. Remote but still fairly high-traffic area. Note: as of June 2018, the link below provides in-depth information about the trail: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5346991.pdf

Tue Jun 12 2018

We only did a couple miles because of time restraint but the ground we covered showed us some amazing landscape. Definitely want to do the whole 40!

Tue Jun 05 2018

Amazing trail! So much history and natural beauty. We did the hike over Memorial Day weekend and the trail was super busy. Normally, it's fairly quiet with lots of space to spread out. That being said, everyone we encountered was friendly and nice and we had no trouble finding a campsite each night. The trail is well marked and/or easy to follow. We only had a couple of places where the trail had been rerouted that gave us pause as to which way to go (mostly the switchbacks on the Foster Bar side). The trail varies quite a bit over the course of the 40 miles. There's grasslands, forested hillsides, rocky outcroppings, and flat-ish meadows to walk through. I think roller coaster is the best way to describe the trail. There is a lot of climbing up and then down. We're both in good shape, but were a bit sore and worn out by the end of the day. I had read that there were parts of the trail that are not good for people with a fear of heights (that's me), but I didn't have any trouble at any point along the trail. There are parts of the trail that are up high above the river, but they didn't feel dangerous or sketchy. All in all, a wonderful hike! Definitely recommend going in the cooler months and when the wildflowers are blooming. :)

Sun May 27 2018

We completed the 40 miles with some raft breaks last week. Weather and wildflowers were perfect so I recommend May. The poison oak and some narrow trails were of concern but the hike was fabulous and well worth it for the views, lodges, creeks, and enjoyment of nature. We saw 4 other hikers on the trail over four days. Our average age was high 60s and no one had any issues - great hike!

Fri May 25 2018

awesome trail. my wife and I hiked this trail with a friend in July, it was 100+ degrees but the streams we're cool and refreshing. We did it in 4 days and 4 nights. thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The trail is long but not difficult, very easy.

Tue May 22 2018

Very nice early season hike early May. Only went in 9 miles from Graves Creek to just past Bunker Creek. Bunker Creek best campsite we came across. Poison oak got us despite our vigilance (foraging for camp wood is what did it). Lots of wildflowers. Trail has a nice steady elevation. Will be doing the loop next time.

Sat Apr 21 2018

Worth it.

Wed Apr 11 2018

Smooth, fresh and vibrant. Great trail.

Mon Apr 02 2018

Overall this was an awesome backpacking trip. 4 days was perfect. I took my two golden retrievers and wish I had booties for them. Miles of sharp rocks did a number on their pads. Luckily I ran into friends rafting along the trail, on the third night, and they were able to take one of my dogs for me. Also the ticks were awful, especially the first two days. I did a chewable tick prevention and it obviously didn’t work. The weather was perfect low just under 40 and highs about 70. I cannot imagine hiking this trail in the summer, it would be absolutely miserable. There’s a lot of sun exposure especially on the first half of the trail. I’m pretty sure the map is in River miles and the trail is somewhere between 45 to 50 miles, depending on who you talk to. I may do the trail again soon with the GPS just for my own satisfaction.

Mon Mar 05 2018

I only went as far as Whiskey Creek cabin, well after a short detour that passed the cabin. It was a great day for the hike. I pretty much had the trial to myself. The only problem that I had was trying to cross some of the waterfalls because of the recent weather. I am a nervous nelly and that is why I had a problem. However, if I could do it, then anyone could. :-) I wil totally do this hike again.