Rock of Ages and Horsetail Creek Loop Trail (CLOSED)

Rock of Ages and Horsetail Creek Loop Trail (CLOSED) is a 9.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Bridal Veil, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

old growth

closed

Basically I got in about 3 or so miles, and the trail disappeared. I risked trying to find the remaining trail, and almost got lost so I turned around.

Sucks because this could have been a good hike. I advise bringing a map and gps. All this app does is record your location, it won't upload once you lost service.

Happy Hiking !

Nice place!

Only went up to the arch but it was a difficult climb. A mile straight of hands and feet. Way down was worse

great trail. note, must be done clockwise. first time I tried it, I freaked out a little along a knife edge by devil's backbone and came back down past rock of ages. bad call. the scramble going up is 10x worse coming down. this trail has literally a little bit of everything: scramble, early on views, old growth forest, switchbacks down a mountain side, River crossings, and water falls. the only thing it's short on is views. also, it is a bit longer than advertised- I clocked 10.6 miles on my gps. also, entrance to the rock of ages trail is a bit tricky- easily missed. there's also a branch that goes to the right above the falls. once you get to rock of ages, there are a few branch trails here and there but they always rejoin.

A little tricky to follow all the turns for this loop, but worth it. The first three miles are very steep and intense (almost rock scrambling at points and very thin trail along a high ridge) but incredible views right off the bat. It was dry when we went but would probably be much sketchier if wet or muddy. After peaking on the ridge you wander through forest, crossing streams, until it picks back up with a more popular trail that leads to crowded but spectacular waterfalls and then looping back. Only saw a handful of other people on the trail until the last two miles or so.

we are by no means professional or active hikers as we only do it a few times a month. but this hike was really scenic in terms of waterfalls. Had no idea where we were going, but we just followed the main trail. passed the three falls and kept going maybe just under a mile until the path disappeared due to a tree (or maybe it was a rock) that took down the path. It wasnt nearly as bad as I expected (like Dog Mountain) but very scenic.

If you do the 10 mile loop hike you NEED a map! If you do the out and back to the arch and devils backbone, be aware that it is extremely steep and difficult to get back down

the climb is no joke but so worth it! no snow, many wildflowers, and low traffic

Sunday, January 01, 2017

Lots of scrambling and elevation gain, incredible view from Rock of Ages arch and from Devils Backbone at about mile 2. I'd recommend turning around after Devils backbone as the rest of the hike is long with only decent views. I did this in December and although the multiple creek crossings weren't bad there was over a foot of snow and your feet get soaked. It's definitely worth it, but come prepared!

Saturday, November 05, 2016

Did this on 09/28/16. Good hike. Good workout. The section up to Rock of Ages is a total scramble. The trail is well defined but in poor shape and mostly uphill. You will be surrounded by poison oak the whole way up. There are some serious cliffs along the Rock of Ages Arch. Definitely be on your A game and use caution along the trail as it comes close to some steep edges.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Very intense hike!!

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Hiked this twice now once in feb in two feet of snow and yesterday bad ass hike Rock of Ages takes 15 min to get to then you hike up to the Devils Backbone and up into the forest pretty steep for the first 3 miles then its flat and goes back down hill you get to see Horsetail Falls Tripple Falls twords the end of the hike good workout not for begginers at all you can bring dog's and kids to the Rock of Ages but i wouldnt bring them any farther this is not that hike for the family unless your all in shape

Sunday, July 31, 2016

While I read the majority of the reviews before heading out I cannot claim that I realized what I was getting myself into. Steep hike with some amazing sites. All in all it is a great hike for an unmaintained trail.

Monday, July 25, 2016

I guess I enjoyed this hike, which makes me a masochist. There is no way this is 8 miles. Yeah, I wondered around quite a bit, but my track looks just like this and was 14.4 brutal miles according to my iPhone 6. I don't know how anyone is supposed to find the up trail. You have to know where it is. It's about 100 yards or so short of the falls. Look for a big tree on the left. If you say "that can't possibly be the trail" then you've found it. So I did it counterclockwise, which I really REALLY do not recommend.

Friday, June 24, 2016

I really enjoyed this hike. I started at the horsetail falls trail head and turned up the rock of ages trail right before ponytail falls. I only went as far up as the arch, which was really cool and had some amazing views of the gorge. The hike up was steep and challenging but well worth it imho. I came back down to the horsetail falls trail and continued on, passing a few waterfalls along the way. About halfway there's a trail that goes to triple falls. I would recommend checking this fall out it's unique for sure! It's about 2 extra miles total though, so depending on how you feel. The rest of the hike down is a piece of cake! If you enjoy just being in the forest even better. All in all I ended up hiking just under 6 miles total. Bring lots of water and some snacks like others have stated. Enjoy!

Friday, June 24, 2016

Do NOT do the hike backwards, unless you're ready for a serious workout! if you do the trail backwards it's up hill the whole way for about 8 miles, then you have 2 miles of straight crazy down hill! 3000 feet in less than 2 miles.

Friday, June 17, 2016

Do not go on this hike if you are bad at picking up trails, there are no signs and there are multiple forks that are confusing from rock of ages until you get back on the maintained trail. I took my golden retriever/lab on this trail and she did great, if your dog is fit and experienced at hiking they'll be fine, I only had to help her over a few large logs. If you're looking for solitude and a solid workout this is a great hike.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

it's a Good hike if you hike the whole loop from Rock Of Ages to Devil's Backbone and Horsetail Creek not for beginners or the faint of heart but if your like me sure footed and like to Climb this one's for you