Rock of Ages and Horsetail Creek Loop Trail

Rock of Ages and Horsetail Creek Loop Trail is a 9.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Bridal Veil, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

old growth

Basically I got in about 3 or so miles, and the trail disappeared. I risked trying to find the remaining trail, and almost got lost so I turned around.

Sucks because this could have been a good hike. I advise bringing a map and gps. All this app does is record your location, it won't upload once you lost service.

Happy Hiking !

Nice place!

Only went up to the arch but it was a difficult climb. A mile straight of hands and feet. Way down was worse

great trail. note, must be done clockwise. first time I tried it, I freaked out a little along a knife edge by devil's backbone and came back down past rock of ages. bad call. the scramble going up is 10x worse coming down. this trail has literally a little bit of everything: scramble, early on views, old growth forest, switchbacks down a mountain side, River crossings, and water falls. the only thing it's short on is views. also, it is a bit longer than advertised- I clocked 10.6 miles on my gps. also, entrance to the rock of ages trail is a bit tricky- easily missed. there's also a branch that goes to the right above the falls. once you get to rock of ages, there are a few branch trails here and there but they always rejoin.

A little tricky to follow all the turns for this loop, but worth it. The first three miles are very steep and intense (almost rock scrambling at points and very thin trail along a high ridge) but incredible views right off the bat. It was dry when we went but would probably be much sketchier if wet or muddy. After peaking on the ridge you wander through forest, crossing streams, until it picks back up with a more popular trail that leads to crowded but spectacular waterfalls and then looping back. Only saw a handful of other people on the trail until the last two miles or so.

we are by no means professional or active hikers as we only do it a few times a month. but this hike was really scenic in terms of waterfalls. Had no idea where we were going, but we just followed the main trail. passed the three falls and kept going maybe just under a mile until the path disappeared due to a tree (or maybe it was a rock) that took down the path. It wasnt nearly as bad as I expected (like Dog Mountain) but very scenic.