Riverside Trail to Rainbow Campground

Riverside Trail to Rainbow Campground is a 7.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Estacada, Oregon that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Estacada: Travel south on Hwy. 224 for 25.6 miles (approximately .50 mile past Ripplebrook Guard Station), and turn right onto Rd. 46. On Rd. 46, travel 1.8 miles and the trailhead is located on the right.

Lots of up and down which we like. Beautiful views of the river. Easy enough for our 4 year old but not boring.

Overall, not a bad hike at all. Pleasant meandering among old growth, great views of the Clackamas river, not too far from Portland yet not crowded...HOWEVER....the trail offers nothing truly spectacular, and about 1/3 of a mile of it is almost directly ON highway 224. The worst is the trash and sketchy tweaker cars parked at random trailheads along the way, waiting for you to leave your vehicle alone for several hours

This was a nice hike through the woods along the river. There was just a dusting of snow in certain spots.

Steep but up and down. Beautiful foliage.

Harder side of easy. It’s 80% hills, though none are too steep or too far up or too far down. If you’re looking for a ‘flat’ kind of easy, (I was thinking for my mom with arthritis) this ain’t it. The trail is really well maintained, no dangerous areas. The trailhead sign is hard to see but easier to see coming from the south (campground).

If you do this from the campsite, which is where Google maps directed me to, it’s just over 8 miles, campsite to campsite. Pretty hike. Nice to hear the river. Not too many cars so I was rarely aware when I was near the road, which wasn’t often. Lots of ups and downs, old growth and new.

So the directions take you to Riverside Camp ground which is fine and we started there, but there is a sign just before it’s a small wood sign on a tree and there is a parking lot so if your directions say 1 mile left start looking for the sign. Was a great hike for newbies definitely going back and did not see a waterfall

This is a nice hike that isn't too strenuous.

I visited this trail with my family on a rainy June day. It was absolutely beautiful. We saw many newts and even a frog. We stopped at a few points to get close to the Clackamas River. We skipped some rocks and stuck our feet in the cold water. I was grateful to see no trash, and I think we may have been the only people on the trail this day. We did the whole out and back.

It’s a wonderful light elevation hike. You still get a decent workout because of the ups and downs. Gorgeous views.

Minus one star for trash on the trail where it gets close to the road.

Pretty and lightly trafficked trail. Great river views and lush, green forest. Would be great for a picnic, as there are many nice river spots along the way. The only downside is that some parts are close to the road, and those tended to have some vehicle trash and toilet paper around them. Still, other parts were beautiful and secluded, and we only saw two other people while we were there, so it was nice to have to trail to ourselves. Trilliums and wildflowers are just beginning to bloom.

Great hike with my pup. Only saw a handful of other hikers and heard less than 10 cars pass by. I started at the middle point where these directions take you. I went left to the campground and back up to rainbow campground, then back to my car and my watch had me at 10 miles. Although I did explore all the side trails and frequently walked to river access. Also I did not see a waterfall. Great hike though!

Trail was amazing to run! Lots of scenery. Quad crushing hills. Sign is hard to find, FYI.

Friday, February 16, 2018

This is a point to point hike along the Clackamas River that connects upstream Riverside Campground to downstream Rainbow Campground. I started and finished at Rainbow Campground trailhead. It is a good easy hike with very little elevation gain and I used it to increase my walking speed. Light snow was on the trail in some areas though not an issue. I imagine with all the spur trails to the river this is a good place for summer swims. Hiked on 02/15/18.

Monday, February 12, 2018

Nice easy trail, very narrow in some places. There are two entry points. You can start at the first one one which is about .50 mile from the Ripplebrook guard station, which is also a general store that sells passes to Bagby Hot Springs if you wanna full day. There is a sign indicating the trail, but this point drops you off in the middle of the trail and you can walk up and down both directions. If you want to start at the beginning of the trail, head further down to Riverside camp ground for an easy 3.7 mile trek one-way. As noted it runs close to the road, but traffic was light as was the trail on a cloudy Sunday morning in February.

Friday, November 10, 2017

Went a few days ago and it was so green and beautiful!

Saturday, May 20, 2017

This is a nice trail for all levels. It is not nearly as busy as some of the other trails in the area. The path is quite narrow at times. (Totally doable, you can just tell it isn't a high traffic trail) Some negatives for us... The road is RIGHT there for more of the trail than we would have preferred. The biggest downside was the garbage. There was a l lot of it. Not garbage I was willing to pick up either... Like used toilet paper all over the place. The plus sides were there too though. You can easily spawn off the trail and check out the Clackamas River. There was a lovely bridge and LOTS of interesting trees and nature to look at along the way.

Monday, November 28, 2016

This app takes you to the campsite .9 mile past the trailhead. This time of year, the river was high and fast, super mossy, green forest!! There was no one else out there today and it was perfect for my dog today!!! Easy trail, a bit slippery today, be safe!!

Thursday, July 21, 2016

A good hike... next to a road ☹️

Saturday, July 02, 2016

I really enjoyed this trail, so mellow, and great access to the river and potential swimming spots. The map location took me to Riverside Campground which the trail connects to, but it wasn't super easy to spot the trail head within the campground. The actual trailhead is about 2 miles before the campground, on the right.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

There is something about the rainy day Fall hike that this trail lends itself perfectly to.

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Nice hike. Brought my 8 year old. Did an out and back 3 miles in.

Sunday, March 01, 2015

This trail is well maintained despite it being in an old growth forest. Not muddy despite February time of year. Quite a few people on it. Beautiful. My one criticism is that it follows the road at least for the first part (didn't do the whole trail), and you could hear road noise. River was far below, but you could hear it rushing in several places.

Sunday, December 23, 2012

This is one of my favorite hikes on the Clackamas river, lots of forest and a cool undercut path under the rock cliff.

Monday, September 17, 2012

Really enjoyed this hike. Lots of great photo opps. Not much by way of water falls this time of year. Will have to come back next spring to see the real show. Spots were steep but most other areas were fairly easy. Did this hike from Indian Henry campground to just past Pup Falls then had to turn around as the shadows got longer. Would totally be doable as an out and back day hike. We finished our day at Bagby Hotsprings and it was wonderful.

Monday, March 12, 2012

It surprised me how much I liked this hike. I have driven in the area many times and the river has always looked so inviting. All kinds of plants and trees here. Sometimes I thought the trails architecture was a little iffy. Really beautiful area.

Thursday, November 03, 2011

Loved this hike. We did this hike on an 85 degree day-- take water!

Tuesday, October 04, 2011

great trail , both Mtb and hike. just finished a day out with my pack weighted down and still had a great time , seen a few good runs I want to hit in the kayak and even got surprised with an early mushroom hunt, took home some chantrelles and even some lobsters long with a few amineta specemins to identify. great day! great trail, hit it on the bike mid summer had a great time then too though I blew two tubes on the trail.

Friday, September 16, 2011

My wife and I decided to hike from Fish Creek to Indian Henry in early June. We loved the hike so much that we decided to take our oldest daughter a week later but going the other way. For us we will do this again next year only earlier.

The only negative would have to be the people that take their dog off their leash. My wife almost got knocked down a pretty steep cliff on the second trip from a dog charging around the corner and no owner to be seen.

Monday, July 18, 2011

Parts of this trail were demanding! Zowie!