Rimrock Springs Natural Area

Rimrock Springs Natural Area is a 1.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Madras, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 196 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Visited Rim Rock Springs trail 1/6/2020. Parking area enough for 15 cars. No bathroom here. One picnic table right below parking area. Rim Rock is right off the Prineville highway. This is a beautiful small trail. If not doing the loop it is paved to the first viewing deck with plenty of information kiosks on the area, as well as benches to sit and enjoy the view. If doing the loop like I did; there is a small incline with views to the SW and SE. 1.45 miles w/87ft elevation gain. Great trail for young children, though I'm not sure if this is HC friendly as I took stairs to get down to trail and stairs to picnic area (only a small amount though).

Great trail for short hike with good views of the marshes and the mountains

Sun Jan 06 2019

very easy hike

Sun Jan 14 2018

beautiful views.

Mon Sep 25 2017

Very easy hike and hoped to see some wildlife but we didn't. First half mile was paved and is worth at last to do that part of the trail. Very peaceful at the overlook. We continued on the trail and there was a side dirt trail we followed for 1/4 if a mile to come to a deadend. But that was okay. We ended up hiking the loop and found the rimrocks. Beautiful views of the Cascades. Along the way there were information boards that were very informative. We want to come again with a dinner picnic to hike up to the rimrocks and watch the sunset.

Wed Aug 16 2017

fairly plain trail. Does have a breif view of the 3 sisters and does take you to a marsh overlook that would be decent if you brought binoculars for birding.

Wed May 24 2017

Really dry. Expected some water and more flowers. But still beautiful. It was pretty short, perfect for my toddler. ❤️

Wed Nov 02 2016

Easy hike. Not very scenic.

Sat Sep 24 2016

Nice trail and I'm sure it will be even better after some rain. The dogs loved running and chasing crickets :)

Sat Aug 13 2016

Mountain dog, two kids, Big Daddy & Fat Amy managed this in the August heat! Our "early start" got us on the trail before 11 am. Not much blooming in the summer heat but the trail has good interpretive signs, several overlooks and benches along the way. The marshlands looked beautifully refreshing from our vantage point. Only the 10 yr old complained! ☺️

Thu Apr 11 2013

Very nice little hike. The walk to the marshland observation deck was paved, with interpretive signs and even benches! The paved path is easy for anyone and the Loop Trail is quite easy too. This was my first visit and the area lacked the lush green space that I am sure will be there during the summer. I am anxiously looking forward to my next visit! NOTE: I almost missed the turn-out area due to construction in that area but hopefully that will be done soon and signs will be back up.

Fri Jun 19 2009

This is one of the easier trails you'll find in Central Oregon. The first half is a leisurely paved road through level ground, with the second half being a steadily climbing dirt trail that levels off before it gets too hard. It's a loop trail that, even if done twice, is less than an hour of hike time. With the wildlife information boards throughout and the marsh viewing areas, it's more of a tourist hike than a fitness trail, and it's not particularly scenic for most of the 1.4 mile loop. A good hike with family, but there are better trails, especially if you live south of Redmond.

Sun Jan 27 2019