Ridge Trail and Hardesty Trail Loop

Ridge Trail and Hardesty Trail Loop is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Portland, Oregon that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This was actually a REALLY great trail for someone trying to get back into hiking again! The whole first leg of Ridge Trail is a steady/decent incline. Then, when you come to the cross road, you can go left to continue and uphill trek on Ridge Trail, or go right and give your calves a break on the nice, smooth path between Ridge and Hardesty (a chunk of Northwest Leif Erikson Drive) that you share with runners, leisurely walkers and bikers. When you reach the trail marker for Hardesty, it’s all incline again until you meet up with Northwest Firelane 7 Road, which is another nice stroll before you turn back on to Ridge Trail and start your decline!

I initially thought “Dang, I must have chosen the harder direction to go!” when I turned right and did Hardesty first, but after finishing the decline back to the cross road and closing the loop, decided the difficulty level is pretty similar, and the right turn might actually be better if you’re just starting out, because you get that short break on Leif Erikson.

All together, a nice, woodsy trail in the middle of the city, a beautiful view of the St. John’s Bridge, and it looked like I was just coming in on the tail end of some beautiful wild flowers! I uploaded photos of the directions I took at each junction that kept me on the loop, because it was a little confusing, and I did have to back track a couple of times when I made the wrong turn. Thank goodness for the All Trails App and it’s glorious tracking capabilities! =D

My only negatives are the road traffic noise for the first leg of Ridge Trail (hey, city life) and the fact that it would probably be a little sketchy if it were wet/muddy. A lot of Ridge Trail is compact, super fine dirt, which I could see being REALLY slippery when it rains. Also, wear bug spray. =)

Sunday, September 04, 2016