Red Lake Trail

moderate 29 reviews

Red Lake Trail is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idanha, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,801 feet Route Type: Out & Back

We did this as a FIrst Day hike and were the only ones on the trail. There were a couple of spots on the access road that were a little tricky for my friend in her Prius, but otherwise the road is in good shape and was snow-free. The first mile of the hike gains elevation quickly. At about 4300' you cross the creek for the first time. This is also where the snow started. It was only a few inches so wasn't a big deal to hike through but gaiters would definitely be recommended. At parts the dry stream beds that the trail runs along were no longer dry, and we hiked along the snowy edges. The second creek crossing before Averill Lake is more tricky and we managed to lose the trail in the snow trying to find a good crossing spot. With everyone being wet and the snow coming down heavily we found our way back to the trail and headed back down. This is definitely a trail I'd like to revisit in warmer weather.

Really nice trail up to the four Lakes. I would have given it a five-star except for the rocky dried river beds you have to walk through about a third of the time. The road in from the West was fine for 2 wheel drive cars, but from the East there are a couple of deep holes in the road.

I spent 4 nights backpacking along the lakes with my little brother. The trails were pretty rocky but other than that they weren’t too difficult. We started late on Tuesday and camped at Averill Lake. At night we heard owls hooting across the lake and around the forest. Averill Lake isn’t very deep, so if you’re looking to take a swim head to Wall or Sheep Lakes instead. We also camped at Wall lake which has an amazing spot right on the water. After our day hikes it was the perfect setting for our relaxing read of The Hobbit. We saw tiny frogs along the bank in the afternoon and even saw a salamander while filtering some water. The spot we stayed at was on the Eastern side of the lake, so we could watch the sun set and reflect across the water. On our last night there, we watched the most incredible sunset that reflected across the water beautifully. Afterwards, we sat along the bank of the lake and watched the Perseids until we got chilly. It’s really a lovely trail, I would definitely enjoy returning some day.

Hiked on 7/13/19 Wonderful hike! You get to see a lot more lakes than just Red lake on this hike. Mosquitos were only bad in a few select locations along the trail. The trail has a lot of embedded rocks in it. This made you have to carefully choose your path.

Mon Sep 24 2018

This hike is one of my all-time favorites. It is especially beautiful to hike in late September or early October. The fall colors are breathtaking. The terrain continually changes and keeps things interesting. So very important to wear supportive hiking shoes as you traverse rocky creek beds. This is a remote hike and we only passed by one other couple. Our dog ran off leash the entire time. The lakes are beautiful, quiet and so peaceful. I will hike this hike every fall!

Tue Jul 24 2018

Beautiful area and a good trail up to the lakes. Past the lakes the trail follows a creek bed up a fairly steep hill which is very rocky- wear good boots! Meets with Pacific Crest Trail at the top of the hill. Great day hike but a bit strenuous in warm weather (80-85). Beautiful mountain lakes!

Mon Jul 16 2018

The creek has dried up so be sure to bring extra water for you and your furry friends! Beautiful hike but it was super hot making the trail dry and dusty today. Lots of good places to camp and so many additional trails and lakes to explore - will definitely be back again!

Thu Aug 03 2017

Not a technical trail but very fun! All lakes have great camping options. Got to the trail head a bit late so spent the first night at Red Lake. Everyone says that the camping here isn't good but my friend and I enjoyed it very much. There is a great spot if you take the spur trail down to the lake and go right (SW) about 15-20 yards is a spot with a great fire pit that we improved and a view of the top of Mt. Jefferson that we were able to watch the colors of the sunset on. Once dark came we stayed up late listening to the frogs and the owls while enjoying the fire and our hammocks. Next day we hiked to Wall Lake and went swimming for a couple of hours. AMAZING WATER!!!! Turned left at the junction heading towards Lower Lake and Fish Lake and went to Gifford Lake. By far one of the most beautiful lakes I've ever been to and the swimming was to DIE FOR!!!!! Spent the night at Gifford under the full moon. Nice views overlooking Twin Peaks. We also bushwhacked around the lake and had lunch on top of the cliffs on the back side of the lake. You get a couple of Spots where you can see MT. Hood as well as another lake up there. From there made our way down to Lower Lake and stayed a night where the creek flows out of the lake and enjoyed the camp spot and found a few huckleberry bushes along the river that were ripe already, YUM!!! Swimming in Lower Lake was still nice and refreshing but a bit colder. All the lakes along the trail system did not have fish that I noticed except Lower Lake, which I saw some Brook Trout surfacing. The lake also has Crawdads and views of Ollalie Butte. Next time I do this trail I will try to hike up Twin Peaks and Potato Butte. All in all a splendid trail system with lots of options and not too many people.

Sat Nov 26 2016

Enjoyed the trail today despite the weather not being the best. Some rocky areas and quite a bit of snow above the 4,000 foot level. The lakes were beautiful and well worth the hike. Lots of additional water in the creek areas, definitely will slow down your progress unless you don't mind wading through. Not a very difficult trail to be honest, I would say moderate is a fair assessment. Would love to do this one again on a clear day where you can see the peaks and surrounding areas

Fri May 06 2016

Love this trail. I've done it many times as a kid. Hiked to potato Butte. Great Lakes to camp at once you pass Red Lake. Also went lower lake which is past potato butte. If you're good with a map and compass go to Gifford lake. Gifford Lake is a hidden gem of this area and the trail is very faint. Not many visitors.

Sat Jul 18 2015

iI have not done the whole trail I admit, but what I saw was just ho-hum. It might be fun, but it was just plain in my opinion.

Mon Sep 03 2012

I actually camped at Monon Lake, which is about 0.5 miles past the Peninsula Campground on Olallie Lake. This is a great location for camping. I hiked the Red Lake Trail from the Olallie Lake trailhead. The trail passes Top Lake and continues up to the Pacific Crest Trail, then on to Double Peaks. The last part of the trail up to Double Peaks is very, very steep. The views of Mount Hood and Mount Jefferson are spectacular, and make this demanding hike completely worth the effort.

Sun Oct 21 2018