Red Lake Trail

Red Lake Trail is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idanha, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

1955 feet

Not a technical trail but very fun! All lakes have great camping options. Got to the trail head a bit late so spent the first night at Red Lake. Everyone says that the camping here isn't good but my friend and I enjoyed it very much. There is a great spot if you take the spur trail down to the lake and go right (SW) about 15-20 yards is a spot with a great fire pit that we improved and a view of the top of Mt. Jefferson that we were able to watch the colors of the sunset on. Once dark came we stayed up late listening to the frogs and the owls while enjoying the fire and our hammocks. Next day we hiked to Wall Lake and went swimming for a couple of hours. AMAZING WATER!!!! Turned left at the junction heading towards Lower Lake and Fish Lake and went to Gifford Lake. By far one of the most beautiful lakes I've ever been to and the swimming was to DIE FOR!!!!! Spent the night at Gifford under the full moon. Nice views overlooking Twin Peaks. We also bushwhacked around the lake and had lunch on top of the cliffs on the back side of the lake. You get a couple of Spots where you can see MT. Hood as well as another lake up there. From there made our way down to Lower Lake and stayed a night where the creek flows out of the lake and enjoyed the camp spot and found a few huckleberry bushes along the river that were ripe already, YUM!!! Swimming in Lower Lake was still nice and refreshing but a bit colder. All the lakes along the trail system did not have fish that I noticed except Lower Lake, which I saw some Brook Trout surfacing. The lake also has Crawdads and views of Ollalie Butte. Next time I do this trail I will try to hike up Twin Peaks and Potato Butte. All in all a splendid trail system with lots of options and not too many people.

Enjoyed the trail today despite the weather not being the best. Some rocky areas and quite a bit of snow above the 4,000 foot level. The lakes were beautiful and well worth the hike. Lots of additional water in the creek areas, definitely will slow down your progress unless you don't mind wading through. Not a very difficult trail to be honest, I would say moderate is a fair assessment. Would love to do this one again on a clear day where you can see the peaks and surrounding areas

Friday, May 06, 2016

Love this trail. I've done it many times as a kid. Hiked to potato Butte. Great Lakes to camp at once you pass Red Lake. Also went lower lake which is past potato butte. If you're good with a map and compass go to Gifford lake. Gifford Lake is a hidden gem of this area and the trail is very faint. Not many visitors.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Saturday, July 18, 2015

iI have not done the whole trail I admit, but what I saw was just ho-hum. It might be fun, but it was just plain in my opinion.

Monday, September 03, 2012

I actually camped at Monon Lake, which is about 0.5 miles past the Peninsula Campground on Olallie Lake. This is a great location for camping.

I hiked the Red Lake Trail from the Olallie Lake trailhead. The trail passes Top Lake and continues up to the Pacific Crest Trail, then on to Double Peaks. The last part of the trail up to Double Peaks is very, very steep. The views of Mount Hood and Mount Jefferson are spectacular, and make this demanding hike completely worth the effort.

Monday, September 03, 2012

We started our hike at the trail head on the gravel road off of Forest Road 46. The trail immediately begins to climb through an old-growth forest and continues to climb the entire distance to Red Lake. The trail seems to follow an old stream bed and is very rocky.

We had lunch and at Red Lake and then continued on to Averill Lake, Wall Lake, and Sheep Lake. We hiked to the base of Potato Butte with plans to climb to the top. However, the trail up Potato Butte was difficult to identify and it was getting late in the afternoon. We chose to discontinue our hike and return to the car at the trail head.

This is a very nice hike that is somewhat challenging. I rated the hike as demanding due to the very rocky path during the climb to the lakes. The beautiful scenery makes the hard work of climbing to the lakes worth the effort.