Ramona Falls Trail

Ramona Falls Trail is a 6.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Rhododendron, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hiking a lollipop-loop trail on the base of Mt. Hood from Sandy River to gorgeous Ramona Falls and back. Ramona Falls drops 120 feet, cascading and splitting into ever smaller fingers of water broken up by the hexagonal columns of basalt at the base of the cliff. The trail is relatively easy for this region, but the 1100 feet of elevation gain could require plenty of rest stops for those not used to hiking in the mountains. Speed hikers could probably finish the trail in about 2.5 hours, but you'll want to spend some time at the falls and enjoy scenery along the way, so plan 4-6 hours. The south leg of the loop to the falls is less scenic and bogs down with sand in a few spots, but it's still an enjoyable, well maintained trail with some nice views on the way to the falls. After the falls, the return trip on the north leg is wonderful, following the lush, green path of Ramona Creek and skirting towering cliffs before veering south to head back towards the trailhead. Warning: there is no longer a bridge to cross - use caution when crossing the logs.

Great hike. The river crossing was relatively easy. Beautiful Hood view at that spot. If you go left after the river to make it a loop, it's definitely longer. So if you want a (slightly) shorter option, stay right. The falls are really cool - very pretty.

Large parking lot that was pretty full by 12 pm. Not that much scenery on the trail but the waterfall made up for it.

Awesome views, on the easy side of moderate. Crossing the creek is somewhat difficult, but there are many logs to cross on.

the bridge is washed out and I wouldn't recommend taking dogs. unless they can walk across trees to cross the water.

This was a beautiful hike! The waterfall more than makes up for the almost constant uphill approach.
It seems like everyone prefers Ramona Falls trail #797 over PCT especially on the approach. The problem is the signage on the trail. At the 3-way junction where the loop part starts (about a mile from the parking lot and after you cross the river) we thought we were going on Ramona Falls Trail if we go straight because the arrows were pointing that way. Not so. You have to turn left. I've uploaded a few pics of the junction and the signage.

On the border of easy to moderate but very pretty hike!

awesome hike, pretty views.. i would say the more on the easy side of moderate. only challenge is crossing the river but it’s low enough right now it wasn’t an issue.

good hike. get there early on the weekend. beautiful views and scenery.

This was our first hike in Mt. Hood National Park. It did not disappoint. The falls were magical and the trail was beautiful in every way. I would definitely recommend this trail to anyone!

A fun hike with a beautiful waterfall. the river crossing was fun but do-able.

Beautiful Hike! I took the Pacific Coast Trail up to the falls then the Ramona Falls Trail #797 back. I the Ramona Falls Trail was so much prettier than the Pacific Coast Trail. I would skip the Pacific Coast Trail and just take the Ramona Falls Trail to the top and back. That’s just my opinion. Crossing the river was no biggie at all.

The most beautiful waterfall I've ever seen! Great hike!!!

Beautiful hike! A bit challenging (but fun) to decide what logs to cross on as the bridge is out, but have no fear, the river is pretty low right now. The views are incredible, and being able to sit and have lunch at the falls made the elevation gain fully worth it.

Beautiful trail, feels like you're travelling through multiple forests/landscapes on one hike. The falls are gorgeous!

Loved this hike! How fun to cross the river on the logs, then listening to the river most of the way up. I highly recommend doing the loop as it takes you across five built log bridges (easy ones) that are great for pictures and a change of scenery. We enjoyed our hike thoroughly! The waterfall is a great reward! Crossing the river is not hard at all. There is a section where you can walk on one tree and hold yourself with a higher tree. Easy peasy and fun. I am uploading a picture to show the two trees. A group of three were walking around trying to figure out which way to cross then they saw us crossing back and they gladly did the same crossing! We even saw a couple who was easily in their young 70s and if they can cross ... so can you.

Hiking poles are a plus but not necessarily needed. The waterfall creates a much cooler environment. I’m glad I had my light jacket and it was a perfect place for lunch.

Beautiful! Enjoy!

Beautiful hike. I agree the 797 has the better view. We did the loop this morning as well and next time will go in and out on 797. We chose not to bring our border collie based off the previous review and I think that was the right choice. The logs to cross the river aren’t wide enough and could easily be a hassle for dogs. We arrived at 7:30 am, barely any cars there. The parking lot was packed/full when we left so I’d highly recommend going early. Early bird gets the worm.

Beautiful hike! Falls were magnificent. Definitely go early because there's heavy foot traffic from midday on. When the Pacific Crest Trail forks, I recommend bearing left rather than continuing straight as the signs suggest is the way to the falls. You'll still very to the falls easily, but it'll add another couple of beautiful miles to your hike. Also, know that no matter which trail you take to the falls, you will still have to walk over logs to cross the river which is moving quite rapidly. It's not difficult except for dogs and anyone with physical limitations. Otherwise, it's not a problem. Rhododendrons are in bloom too!

Not going to agree at all with the last review. I completed the loop, walked to the right at the trail split (following the Ramona falls trail), which was probably a mile in to the trail. I finished the loop, meeting back at the sign (from the left side). The return trip was way better than the way up.

Crossing the river was pretty easy if you have good balance. Stick won’t help u much unless you intend to walk in the river to cross it. We crossed across a downed tree.

I would highly recommend taking the Ramona Trail #797 as an out and back, skipping the PCT part of the loop. The Ramona Trail is much more scenic as compared to the part of the PCT that follows the Sandy River. So, out and back, don’t loop. (Carry walking sticks to help you cross the Sandy River or find a long stick. The logs that are acting as bridges are tad bit unstable. And as always, be careful when fording larger streams.)

This trail is NOT dog appropriate right now. Even if your dog can do the logs, if they were to fall they would be swept away by the snow melt current that’s happening right now. Do Burnt Lake with your dog until the water is better.

Perfect day & hike. Rhododendrons in bloom. Magnificent falls. Lovely creek.

Trailhead was easy to find. Huge gravel parking lot was mostly empty on a Thursday morning at 11am. Port-a-potties. Trail was well marked and easy to follow. Pretty sandy underfoot most of way. Nice mix of magical shady, mossy forest and sunny exposed terrain. The log crossing about a mile in was trickier than I thought it would be. I’m short at 5’3”...a few more inches would have made it a bit easier to span some of the logs. Not suitable for kids or dogs, though we did see some coaxing pups across logs. Falls were gorgeous. Had them to ourselves for the 20 mins we stopped for lunch. Beautiful mountain view from river crossing. Overall fun (except the log crossing)!

Great trail. Love the falls at the end. So pretty.

The falls were even more gorgeous than I expected. Great hike throughout.

This was a nice hike and the falls at the end were really pretty - they were wide and compact versus tall and skinny. The area was like a hidden grotto - the sun filtered in but the trees formed a canopy. Even though you climb a thousand feet, it was really gradual so not too noticeable. Lots of shade and even though it is getting late for wildflowers, there were tons of what I think were wild rhododendron still in bloom. This is a busy trail but it's a loop - not in and out so even thought the lot was full, the trail didn't seem all that crowded. Also - go early, we saw reams of people coming in on our way out around noonish. And finally - don't forget the forest pass.... they don't sell them at the trail head but I believe you can pick one up in government camp. We picked ours up at a gas station between hood river and the trailhead. I'd give it 5 stars but was spoiled by the Tom McCall trail the day before....

The trail elevation was very gradual, trail was well maintained, crossing the river added some extra excitement and the falls were breathtaking! Will definitely do it again.

Crossing the river took a bit of creativity on choosing a path. The elevation gain was subtle and I honestly didn’t notice till the way back where it was just a breeze to get back. The falls it’s self was just gorgeous.

Beautiful hike. Fast moving current so we had to turn back because it was not safe for our labs. For sure will go back with no dogs