Ramona Falls Trail is a 6.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Rhododendron, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hiking a lollipop-loop trail on the base of Mt. Hood from Sandy River to gorgeous Ramona Falls and back. Ramona Falls drops 120 feet, cascading and splitting into ever smaller fingers of water broken up by the hexagonal columns of basalt at the base of the cliff. The trail is relatively easy for this region, but the 1100 feet of elevation gain could require plenty of rest stops for those not used to hiking in the mountains. Speed hikers could probably finish the trail in about 2.5 hours, but you'll want to spend some time at the falls and enjoy scenery along the way, so plan 4-6 hours. The south leg of the loop to the falls is less scenic and bogs down with sand in a few spots, but it's still an enjoyable, well maintained trail with some nice views on the way to the falls. After the falls, the return trip on the north leg is wonderful, following the lush, green path of Ramona Creek and skirting towering cliffs before veering south to head back towards the trailhead. Warning: there is no longer a bridge to cross - use caution when crossing the logs.

This was a beautiful and easy hike. Mostly flat hike with some moderate up hill areas. The river is easy to get across on the logs, but could be hard with pets or small children. There are a few beautiful views of Mount Hood, especially near the river you have to cross. Ramona Falls was even bigger than I expected, it’s definitely worth the hike! The area around Ramona Falls is roped off for vegetation regrowth, so please obey the signs and don’t pass over the rope.

I'm sure this would have been a lovely hike, however, make sure you don't bring dogs or young kids. I went on 11/3/18 and the river water was rushing badly enough that we couldn't figure out a safe way to cross with dogs. We went up and down the river as far as we could find but there wasn't any where with a log large enough for a big dog to cross comfortably. Perhaps if we had harnesses on the dogs and could have them walk across with some help with the leash? We ended up turning around after my friend's border collie tried leaping off the log a foot in. I did see two sets of families with two big dogs each and I wish I had asked them how they got across. Overall, I'm willing to take risks but I'd skip this until Summer if you've got a dog large enough that you can't carry them.

Absolutely worth the hike, arrived just after 8 am on a Sunday and had the trail to ourselves. Definitely not kid or big dog friendly unless they can cross the log in the river. Round trip took about 3 hours and that’s with stopping up by the falls to refuel & enjoy the view.

Day couldn’t have been much better (unless it was sunny, twenty degrees warmer, and no other people...). I’d be inclined to reconsider this as moderate, or at least at the lower end. It’s thoroughly enjoyable, and the loop to follow the stream downward, to me, is absolutely worth it.

Last time I did this was a year and a half ago during a heat streak. Both times of year offer something different and wonderful.

This was a great beautiful and easy hike! We had planned on making the loop bigger and checking out the views of Bald Mt. too, but my my partner was getting sick and not up for 13 miles! I’d do this hike again in a heartbeat!!

the waterfall is a great spot to stop for a snack, the river crossing was easy once we figured out where it was. gorgeous views of mt hood!

Beautiful hike! Could be a bit challenging for those not wanting to walk on a log to cross a small stream but aside from that the hike was flawless. A must when visiting Mt. Hood.

My brother & I hiked this trail and it was yet another GREAT and WORTHY hike for sure.
There are some pretty AWESOME views on the way to the ASTOUNDING looking waterfall and is also a very good hike because the journey back has different views and is a different cool trail because it's a loop hike.

P.S. There are some GNARLY potholes on the way to the parking spot but as long as your aware of how and where your driving even a compact car like mine is able to make it without damaging your vehicle.

Beautiful hike and fairly easy. Ramona falls is gorgeous and a lot bigger that expected. Highly recommended.

Very picturesque and mild hike. The elevation climb was gradual that it felt very easy. It was an overcast day so we kept a good pace. The river crossing was easy since the water was low. The falls were smaller than I imagined but still quite beautiful.

so worth it

Fun hike this summer. The fall's were worth it. Just remember to get your trail use permit. I didn't know the US Forest Service was requiring them and got a $5 warning ticket!

A long but very easy doable hike. I definitely suggest completing the loop, because the way back is a lot prettier and more exciting IMO. Use caution when crossing the river, there was a decent log for crossing, but water was flowing too hard to walk through. Use discretion about bringing your dog(s)! With no bridge they either have to walk through the river or cross a log, which the water was too fierce for the poor Shepherd I saw be forced across by his owner, and was very scared. The stream is lower and less fierce when it hasn’t been raining as well as earlier in the AM. A beautiful waterfall and peaceful place to sit and enjoy. Definitely a great hike for a cloudy day when Mt Hood isn’t visible or anyway!

The trail was great and beautiful, but I should have heeded the warning about the bad road. My '06 Dodge Charger, low to the ground, hit a huge pot hole that cracked my coolant tank and the return trip to Portland was less than fun with overheating and pulling over until Fred Meyer in Gresham. Low cars, be careful!

Absolutely beautiful hike to a stunning, cascading waterfall. probably best to AVOID WHEN RAINING you have to cross a river and The logs get very slippery....slipped and sprained my ankle...but,still worth it! Lol

I’ve done this hike a few times. The falls are beautiful and peaceful, perhaps the most spectacular on the mountain. Take your time enjoy a snack at the falls and snap a few photos on the bridge. Make the loop to see the rocky cliffs and walk along the stream. The only tricky part is crossing the Sandy River, but there are usually big logs and a couple of options for crossing.

This was incredible. Got there really early (about 6:30am) on Saturday. Literally no one else there for whole hike. The falls are beautiful and the rocks near Ramona creek are stunning.

Great trail with a beautiful waterfall. Oregon at its best.

arrived at the trail head early afternoon and the parking lot was full so waited till there was less cars and then got on the trail. saw a few groups at the start but was quiet the rest of the way. the walk is enjoyable and the falls are sweet! definitely do this counter clockwise.

First half of the trail (to the falls) is alright, seemed really long, way longer than the trip back. Some good scenery, but again, second half is way more scenic. The crossing of the Sandy is a little cumbersome with a dog. Our 75 pound pit mix had some trouble, but eventually made it (both times, you have to cross twice) but it took some coaxing and some help on my husband and I’s part. If you have a bigger dog be warned, it might take some work to get your pup across.

nice hike, liked the falls and the views of the Hood. would have given 5 stars. if there was a better place to cross the Sandy.

Late morning hike. Had to cut it short because I needed to get back to PDX. Very pretty, very clearly marked. Interesting topography and soil. Much more arid and sandy than any other hike I've been on in Oregon. Worth the drive. Tuesday is a very quiet day on the trail.

By far, the falls and the first mile heading back down the loop from the falls is the best part of this trail! We came up from the right of the falls and scenery was okay, however once we crossed the bridge in front of the falls and started walking down the loop to the left, the trail became gorgeous for the next mile down. You do have to
cross the Sandy river about a mile from the parking lot. There is no bridge but there are sturdy large logs that are used for crossing, but can be intimidating. Although the trail itself is relatively flat, hiking boots helped a lot just for the traction. The 7 mile RT intimidated me, but we did it in about a 3 hour trip bc it's so flat and wasn't hard to get up quickly.

Easy trail to follow! Loop goes up to the waterfall and then back down.

The only problem I had with this trail is its description as “dog friendly.” Sure, it’s dog friendly if you can carry your dog or they’re small and nimble enough to cross the log over the glacial stream. If you have a bigger dog, that log will give you some trouble.

Someone else told me they went down the stream a little bit to a thicker log. I coaxed mine (75 lbs) onto the more obvious log and half held him up by the harness while crossing. Other than that, great trail!

Very solid trail. Be mindful that in the winter time the rangers will clear out the log bridge to cross the Sandy River, therefore unless you are a seasoned hiker and don't mind getting a little wet, you shouldn't cross with out the log bridges. Hike this in the summer so the log bridge is there. Cool stuff to check out all along the hike. 6.8 total if you do the loop. Don't be a cherry picker and go strait to the falls, take a left turn and hike the pacific crest trail for about .5 miles and then turn up to the Falls.

by far my favorite hike so far this year. beautiful scenery once you get up in elevation. trail gets a bit narrow at points and have to cross a river over logs in the beginning but the over hike was awesome, will definitely be doing this hike again! but a warning bring a day pass! there's none there or near by.

Our family of 4 completed this hike today and loved it (about 3.5 hours including a 20 min lunch). It wasn't very difficult, very pretty and the return trail on the lollipop was definitely our favorite. The falls have a unique look which was very nice. The round trip distance with my GPS watch was 6.87 miles from the trailhead. Also you must get a day pass from town, you can't get it at the trailhead. Loved it!

Great hike. more than we expected but Ramona Falls was worth it!

We went left which is the what I would consider the easiest way to go up so you can loop down near the sandy river and avoid going uphill as much.

Not very picturesque. Very long and not entirely safe. There is a water crossing that I wouldn't bring kids or animals through.