Ramona Falls Trail

Ramona Falls Trail is a 6.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Rhododendron, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hiking a lollipop-loop trail on the base of Mt. Hood from Sandy River to gorgeous Ramona Falls and back. Ramona Falls drops 120 feet, cascading and splitting into ever smaller fingers of water broken up by the hexagonal columns of basalt at the base of the cliff. The trail is relatively easy for this region, but the 1100 feet of elevation gain could require plenty of rest stops for those not used to hiking in the mountains. Speed hikers could probably finish the trail in about 2.5 hours, but you'll want to spend some time at the falls and enjoy scenery along the way, so plan 4-6 hours. The south leg of the loop to the falls is less scenic and bogs down with sand in a few spots, but it's still an enjoyable, well maintained trail with some nice views on the way to the falls. After the falls, the return trip on the north leg is wonderful, following the lush, green path of Ramona Creek and skirting towering cliffs before veering south to head back towards the trailhead. Warning: there is no longer a bridge to cross - use caution when crossing the logs.

The hike is easy except for a piece where you have to cross the water ... careful if you take a log ... I wasn’t and fell in! The falls are absolutely spectacular!

Fantastic trail, the waterfall is well worth the hike! Be aware, during winter months the road is closed well before the trailhead. From our car, the entire loop was 14.5 miles, far longer than the advertised 6.9! Also, the river was fine to cross for us as we just scooted across some logs, would not recommend this trail to kids if you want to cross the river. Also, I would heavily recommend taking the loop and not just going out and back, both trails are very beautiful and have some different scenery.

Bridge to trail is closed off. Adds 2 Miles to trailhead. (4 Miles to total trip).

I bet it’s gorgeous! Didn’t make it past the river though because the water levels were too high and the dogs wouldn’t have been able to cross safely. Also, FYI - the gate is closed now to enter so you have to park on the road and walk 2 miles in on the paved road. It’s a pretty walk but just adds to the mileage. I will be back again!

Well worth the effort! This was an absolutely beautiful, peaceful and serene hike. Even in the driving wind and rain!

This is a very easy trail except for getting to the rivers and then crossing it. Looking around you can see the absolute power of this river in terms of its a erosion of the surrounding landscape. It is running very swiftly right now in late November. Before crossing I went as far as I could on what was probably a game trail on the right bank of the river looking for a better crossing or to see if I could hike to the falls through the thicket. On the right Bank beyond the main trail I had to go over and under some trees and through a thicket at one point and there is a smaller Creek that is time into the river that you have to cross. But it's an interesting little side venture. I turned back about a mile further up the river as progress was
becoming arduous.

It is about a mile to a mile and a half to where the creek has washed the path out if that is helpful at all.
To that point, about 2 ¼ miles roundtrip, any skill level can to the walk. And it is a very pretty walk.
There is some fluorescent tape on both sides of the creek where people traverse the river. but you're not just going to leap across it. You are going to get wet. If you're dressed right for it it's fun. If you're not it turns out to make it (I am sure) a miserable hike back.

FYI, no bathrooms, port-a-potty or outhouses so take care of business in advance.

Super fun, beautiful and adventurous hike. Crossing the river is a little bit challenging, but definitely doable. Our dog got really scared though and we had to carry him while walking on logs. I saw other people sitting and hopping forward with their dog in between their legs and some dogs were super brave and just walked over the logs themselves. This experience of crossing the Sandy river definitely added a bunch to the overall experience. I truly believe that fairies live near the trail and around the Ramona Falls. Everything is so gorgeous!

Beautiful hike! The river is a little higher now so if you’re game for crossing on a fallen log then that’s about the only way you’ll stay dry. Otherwise there’s some parts where it’s only a couple of feet deep. Lost the trail coming back due to fallen trees and snow once it was time to cross again but just hug the river bank until you find the trail again and all will be good.

Did this hike on a rainy day- but that didn't lessen the hike at all. The autumn colors were beautiful, the falls were breathtaking, and the shimmy over the log "bridge" was fun. Definitely worth it.

majestic, fun walk with great payoff

Great trail in a beautiful day.

Very easy walk with just a gradual incline that gets slightly steeper the closer you get to the falls. The water crossing is the only tricky thing about this one, but there were some newly fallen trees that I was able to cross over. Got here at dawn and only saw one other hiker who was trying to find a place to cross the water. Coming back a while later, many more people had arrived, though I think many of them probably stopped at the river.

One of the most beautiful falls I have seen! And gorgeous views of Mt Hood. Overall the trail was easy with a gentle incline and well cleared path, although I didn't see any trail markers except for signs at intersections. No snow. It was easy to see where the bridge had washed out, but we were not able to find a great way to cross at that point. We ended up continuing upstream a little ways to find two parallel logs that could easily be walked/scooted across. We used the AllTrails app to find the trail on the other side. I agree with other reviewers that the Northern half of the trail is prettier, it follows a creek and the forest is lush. I would consider going out and back that way as opposed to doing the loop.

We planning on hiking the trial this coming Saturday, do you guys have a suggestions. It will be our first time hiking the trail

Loved this trail! There was quite a bit of snow near the waterfall. It made the hike even better. Perfect for a mid-morning hike up for lunch.

Not having a good crossing with the creek freaked out a novice hiker, me! But my partner made sure we had a good spot to cross to and from. Walking to the fall was a bit arduous and I think it was because of the sleet turning into snow for us. We didn't quite prepare for it. We almost were about to turn back a couple times when we encountered a man and his dog and he said we weren't too far from her. When we got there, we couldn't stay long because the wind started to pick up and the snow was falling harder. So down we went til we hit sprinkles of rain. And then back over the creek.. We no doubt will do this trail again, but probably in warmer weather.

Wonderful hike!
Was a bit snowy closer to the falls.
After crossing the river, be sure you find the trail, because it's a bit tricky.

Beautiful hike! Crossing the river was fun if you ask me! Hard to pick up the trail in the other side though.

beautiful. easy hike.

This is my favorite - a must do! There is a log jam river crossing which might seem intimidating, but one can easily do a slow sit-and-slide across. There is a large log you can use for stability if you're walking across and your arm is long enough to reach. I did see a few people crossing through the river itself. It can be confusing after the river crossing as the trail isn't well marked, though hikers have improvised arrows out of sticks. The trail can be found to the left ahead after crossing the river. Although this loop provides more exposure, I personally like to do an out and back using the trail to the left at the junction (can't remember the name) since it takes you through shady forest and out of the sand. The falls is literally one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. The incline to get to the falls is gradual. I recommend this hike to everyone I talk to!