Learn more

Pup Creek Falls via Clackamas River Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(399)
Mount Hood National Forest

Pup Creek Falls via Clackamas River Trail is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Estacada, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 7.3 mi Elevation gain 1,807 ft Route type Out & Back

Waterfall

Wild flowers

Description
Waypoints (0)

Although dogs are allowed on this trail, users have reported that there are steep drop-offs adjacent to the trail that can be dangerous for dogs.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (399)
Photos (400)
Recordings (259)
Completed (760)
Kari Dammerman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jul 11 2020
Hiking

Four of us completed this hike today when the temperatures were in the low 80s. Gorgeous views of the Clackamas! We all recorded between 8.5 to 9 miles from Fish Creek TH to pup falls and back. Good moderate hike with some decent climbs but the up-downs were nice. It was pretty hot on the way back — glad we didn’t bring the pups. My partner helped an older gentleman having a medical emergency due to the heat. Bring lots of extra water for this one! The falls were gorgeous and worth the elevation gain.

Clara R.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jul 07 2020
HikingMuddyOver grownRocky

7-5-2020 Great hike, beautiful views trough out the hike, it is a longer trail than it says it is. Did 8.7miles out and back, moderate, well worth it though. I do recommend going early if you want to enjoy your time at the fall as there is not much room there. We went Sunday early and had the pace to ourselves for a good 45 minutes before people started getting there and encountered many more coming up on our way back down by 1pm.

Katie Dominguez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jul 06 2020
HikingMuddy

We went on 7/3/2020. I loved this hike. It’s rolling hills through well-shaded forest. There are some muddy spots and my watch said we did a total of 8.3 miles to the falls and back. It’s narrow, so social distance passing is difficult, but many people had buffs or bandanas to pull up during close passings. There wasn’t a lot of space for hanging out at the falls properly distanced, so we didn’t stay long, but there are nice spots for lunch and rest nearby. The wildflowers were out and raspberries were starting to ripen. Lovely day hike.

AllTrails User
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jul 04 2020
Hiking

Nice trail with views of the river for most of the hike. No cell service. More like 8 or 9 miles and not 7.3. Narrow path in most places. And heavily trafficked. Most people wore masks so make sure to take yours and respect social distancing.

Christopher Flynn
Hiking

Solid Hike, I booked it in about 9 miles with my tracking down by the river as well. The trail in and out is about 8.4 miles. Moderate is a proper description for this trail. There are a lot of places to stop for great kick back spots, but there are also parts of the trail that are tight to the hillside. I will defiantly go back to this trail.

John Sheldon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Jul 01 2020
HikingMuddy
View John's Recording
Laura Nelson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 29 2020
HikingMuddyOver grownRocky

Very luscious, beautiful trail along the river. Took my dog with me and she loved it. There are a couple steep parts, so make sure they are good on a leash. Overlooking the river along the trail was wonderful, the water is super clear. Once you get to the falls there’s not a lot of room, but if you are lucky you can find a place to have lunch. Would definitely recommend this hike, the pictures don’t do it justice.

View Laura's Recording
Jonathan Edwards
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 28 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

Weather conditions were great to enjoy the falls without a flood of others today. We caught a couple of minor showers, which added to some mud puddles, but overall the trail itself is in very good condition compared to others. The canopy gives protection from elements, alternately opening up to some exceptional views. We took about, 20, 25 minutes to soak in the falls, making our actual hiking time about 3:15 total. It’s interesting to see the 10 mile estimates; we clocked his around the 7.3, so not sure what we missed. Definitely a solid moderate. The hill in the first mile (and, when you leave, the last) makes you work, but the whole hike is worth it.

Debi Baker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 28 2020
Hiking

Followed All Trails directions to trailhead and ended up 10 miles round trip according to my recording on GAIA. Great hike - beautiful falls and worth the extra distance. We went very early but lots of people and dogs coming back with very little room to step more than a few inches off the narrow trail in most places.

Jessica Schnelle
HikingOver grownRocky

Up & down & up & down. Lol. Beautiful trail that’ll give you a nice workout & great reward of the waterfalls. Thin, rocky trail with steep cliff on the side so I decided not to bring my dogs on this one. I’m glad I wore my boots although it wasn’t muddy I felt they helped with my footing & stability. Plenty of places to stop & take in the view of the river along the way. Path slightly overgrown & some fallen trees to shimmy over but nothing unmanageable.

View Jessica's Recording
Nate Rose
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 27 2020
Hiking

Barely any mud and only one big tree blocking the trail, but it’s easy to go over or under. Go early!

Jeannie Buss
HikingRocky

Not sure if we did a longer version but hike ended up being 10 miles round trip. Gorgeous views, lots of greenery.

View Jeannie's Recording
Max Daries
Hiking

Great trail, views of the river for most of the hike. A nice mix of shade and sun throughout. The footing was a little precarious at the falls though, not a lot of options for enjoying the view before turning back. Definitely will be hiking this trail again in the future.

Philip Anderson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jun 26 2020

Always a great, easily accessible hike. Multiple trees cross the path but are passable. There is significant poison oak on the trail. Be aware of what it looks like so you can dodge it or you will run into it.

Sarah Dawn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jun 26 2020
HikingFeeMuddyRocky

Epic hike. Going early is the way to do it, other wise you are sharing the falls with the crowds. Wasn’t over grown as much as normal trails can be and yes, there are like 2 trees down on the path. Nothing serious! Don’t be afraid of the mud, it’s all apart of the journey! Some amazing camping spot along the trail! MAKE sure to spend some time at the falls to really take it all in.

Courtney Moore
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 23 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

Great trail! Pretty Easy. I had my dog a a child with me and we were fine. It can be super narrow at times/ steep incline but it’s worth! There was a fallen tree on the path but everyone was going around it.

Melissa McCloskey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jun 23 2020
HikingBlowdownMuddy

I hiked this trail yesterday (6/21, Sunday afternoon) and it is a very pretty trail with great views of the river and a few small waterfalls leading up to Pup Creek Falls. Parts of the trail were muddy and I was VERY grateful to have my hiking boots on rather than my tennis shoes. There was a fallen tree at one point in the hike, which I decided to crawl under on the way there and over on the way back, just for fun. I’d recommend going over lol. I clocked this as being longer than AllTrails reported, but I also went off trail a bit here and there to catch closer looks at the smaller waterfalls and river. I’d still say 8 miles round trip at least though. Logistics: easy to find, plenty of parking. $5 day use fee. I did not have cell service at any point throughout the hike (which, personally, is a plus but may not be to some). Public restroom in parking lot. There will be people, and the trail is narrow. Do not scoff at anyone 6ft away from you and simply stay home if you are not prepared to cross some paths with folks. Hike at your own risk, friends. If you are hiking on a warm day, bring a pair of sandals to change into so that you walk in the water underneath the falls :)

Ry Moore
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Jun 22 2020
BlowdownMuddyOver grown

Hiked 6/20. A little muddy in places. Some overgrown bushes. Rocky with loose rocks on certain parts, which makes for higher risk for ankle rolls. Quite a few people (about 20) for a soggy Saturday. We used this hike as training for a longer hike. Beautiful trail with nice views of the river and rapids. Got to see rafters having a blast. If you're looking for seclusion, this isn't your trail. you can hear Hey 224 for half the hike. We heard people shooting guns for about 20 minutes on the way back but I don't think that's out of the ordinary for the area. We weren't in harm's way. Pup Creek falls was beautiful. I recommend this on a hot weekday or early morning on the weekend. Not easy, but not very challenging.