Plaza Lake Trail is a 1.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Estacada, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.4 miles Elevation Gain: 544 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Didn't even make it to the trail. We drove up Abbott Rd. about 7 miles out from the trail in a 4x4 truck and we turned around. The road is VERY narrow and severely washed out the closer you get. Taking this way there is no evening out the road with a shovel either. We probably could have made it but the risks of damaging our vehicle on the ditched parts was too much. Don't waste your time in anything less than a 4x4, lifted would be better, hopefully you don't care much for your paint either.

Overall: This isn't bad hike just a simple down the hill and back hike. Can't say I was impressed but I had a good time. No body was within ear or eye shot so that was great. The lake is on the smaller side but nice. Getting to the trail: Yes the road is very rough but my 4 door sedan made it there and back. I would recommend packing a shovel and a rake just in case the road needs to be evened out in order to avoid bottoming out your car. Drive slowly and be thoughtful of tire placement to avoid the ditches and potholes. My Chevy Cruze made it but there were some loud bangs as we made it across a few big road swallowing potholes. If I had a shovel and take with me I would have jumped out a few times to make some of those a bit more smooth but if you're driving anything with 4 wheel drive and isn't low to the ground you'll be fine if you drive slowly. The trail: This trail starts at the top of a hill and zigs zags down the hillside to a small but decent size lake. The trail is steep and slippery so be ready for that, wear your good boots and skip this hike on a rainy day. The lake is beautiful but there are only 2 spots to access the water. The trail used to go around the lake but hasn't been maintained and is no longer accessible. The end location is big enough for a camp of up to 6 depending on how you camp but there is fresh lake water for cooking and drinking after you filter it.

Tue Jul 24 2018

The hike itself was nice and the lake was beautiful. Unfortunately I have to dock two stars for the awful road getting there. There were potholes the size of sofas for several miles. Maybe about 45 minutes of driving total. The road was also very narrow, and bushes were creeping in from the sides. We scratched up our rental car pretty good, so now we have to wax it before we return it. Also, and this is no fault of the trail, some terrible camper lit a fire the day before we hiked this trail. They didn't do a good job of containing it and it spread in about 15-20 feet in all directions. They're lucky it didn't start a wildfire in the whole region. My wife and I were both disappointed. Both because of the recklessness, and because we had to hightail it out of there to report it (it was still hot and there's no cell service there).

Sun Oct 18 2015

The trail itself is pretty easy, and quite enjoyable. It's really short but there's lots of stuff to look at on the way depending on the time of year; I went mid fall and there were tons of different mushrooms and Oregon newts all over the place. I can't wait to go back in the spring to see all the rhododendron blooming. The little lake was very secluded and peaceful and had a nice time. If you don't feel like you're in Skyrim, you're not paying attention! (No dragons though.) Everything was misty as it was raining lightly so visibility was poor but it was nice to get out! The real trick here is the road up: make sure to bring some sort of map with all the little trails otherwise it's really easy to get lost and you likely won't get service.

Sun Aug 12 2018