Pittock Mansion via Upper Macleay and Wildwood Trail

Pittock Mansion via Upper Macleay and Wildwood Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Portland, Oregon that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and bird watching. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 518 feet Route Type: Loop

historic site

I would also rate it moderate . I like this hike but way too many rude people that have dogs off leash .

a beautiful hike amongst the trees. happy we went when it was dry! its steep and a great challenge. loved it!

Nice hike with husband, Godson and his girlfriend. Enjoyable on a great day! Would rate as a moderate hike, pleasant woods, not too scenic. Lots of flowers in season at the mansion.

Beautiful hike. I would rate it moderate. Path was well defined and a little rocky in a few spots. Good hike if you don't have a lot of time. Worth the time.

beautiful trail! sad that the ruins have been defaced. I would say easy-moderate easier when it's dry I would think.

Be careful! The trail was dangerously muddy and slick today. We hiked up it and did okay despite the boot-wrecking mud, but on the way down two people in our party slipped and fell less than a minute into the climb down and since we were carrying babies on our backs, we decided to abandon plans and one person hiked down to get the car while the rest of us waited at the mansion. It did snow two days ago so be mindful of what the weather has been recently. Other than that... the trail is quite busy. Lots of folks. Lots of dogs. And follow the road for a long while. But the views at the top are unbeatable especially on a clear day. And the trail closer to the mansion has beautiful pristine forest that was breathtaking in the diffused sunlight. Parking was kinda crazy... and this was the off season; yikes. So, all in all, a hike I will do again mainly because of the "destination" at the top, but will certainly shoot to park somewhere else and go when I know the trail conditions are safer.

This was a great trail to hike! My fiancée and I hiked this trail while visiting Portland for a week. Although it was pretty cold and a bit drizzly, it was worth the climb up to the mansion. The trail itself is well marked all the way up to the mansion. The mansion itself was closed when we arrived but we were still able to walk around the premises along with quite a few other people. Very great views of Portland at the top. The incline on the trail was pretty gradual, so anyone can do this hike fairly easily but I’d rate this as moderate for most since it does go at an incline. The trail head can be accessed via the main road and there are places to park off the side of the road to get to the trail head. Overall, hiking on this trail was a great experience for my fiancée and I while visiting Portland! I’d definitely recommend this awesome trail along with the self guided tour of Pittock mansion!

Was actually 3.47 miles! Forgot to track

We loved that this trail was dog friendly, we went with our brother and sister in law and had a blast with our pups, we did wish it was a little longer though but it had a great location and went and had lunch afterwards since we were so close to everything! It did have a great view at the top overlooking Portland!

I'm only saying three stars because I'm not sure I'd necessarily use this trail again. It was easy to navigate, a little steep in some spots. There weren't a lot of exceptional scenic notes, although the trees themselves are pretty enough to look at. It was fun to wander the mansion grounds, though.

Easy hike, go early to avoid to many visitors. We left at 8: 30 and enjoyed the trail with about 15 hikers and a couple runner's.

There were quite a few people at the mansion, but the trail up from Cornell was not too crowded. Most people take the easy way up and drive in the mansion's parking lot. I enjoyed the hike, and the view of Portland from the mansion grounds was great. If I have been there it has been so many years ago that I forgot what it's like. It's cool that you can walk around the mansion without having to pay for a tour. It's about as good a view of the city as you can hope for. Feels like you are right on top of it.

Beautiful, well kept trail. Lots of foot traffic on the weekend.

Beautiful easy hike, loved it!

Sunday, June 17, 2018

03/14/2018 A nice trail. Decent amount of ascension. Great view of Portland at the summit. There is an actual mansion and numerous functions are held there. Nice place to take your dog, or someone who is new to Portland. It can get muddy due to the heavy foot traffic.

Sunday, June 17, 2018

Picked up the trail off Cornell Road, somewhat steep climb up to the mansion. Be sure to walk through the parking lot to the Pittock Mansion. It's free to walk around the grounds of the mansion. On a clear day the views are beautiful, some of the best best in Portland Even on a cloudy/rainy day it's still worth it.

Saturday, June 16, 2018

Nice way to spend an hour, close-ish to the city. Busy but not overly so. Not sure why the description states no dogs - there were plenty of dogs on the trail.

Sunday, May 13, 2018

Loved this trail. Steeper than expected, but I found it awesome that there was a little bit of a challenge. I'll definitely do this again. The witch's castle and the audobon society trails are also super close to the trailhead and are worth checking out.

Saturday, May 05, 2018

I would give this hike 3.5 stars if I could and describe the trail as Easy to Lightly Moderate (I workout daily but had ACL knee surgery so the hike down was slightly strenuous on the knee). It's somewhat steep and lightly muddy in a few areas. My Garmin claims I climbed 82 floors. The directions from this app took me to a street with beautiful homes so I missed the hidden entrance and wound up on the Leif Erickson trailhead about .5 mile north. The entrance is off the street and leads down steep stairs to public restrooms, parking lot, and the Wildwood trailhead. The views of Portland and Mt. Hood at the mansion are worthy of the hike. I saw the biggest woodpecker ever feasting on a tree. That was pretty much the highlight of my hike.

Friday, April 06, 2018

Visiting family in the area and am amazed at how close this beautiful place is to the inner city. Great hike!

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Amazing. Moderate in effort, track is in great shape. Slight mud in lower spots. I was actually quite impressed with how dry it was. Slight hills, but all great footing. Good for kids, maybe not the little ones (6 and under?) Parking and access was super easy. You’ll reach Pittock Mansion at the top - so fun to explore as well as bathroom access. Go do this!

Thursday, January 25, 2018

Great trail if you want to get out but don’t feel like driving out of the Portland area. It is muddy in some parts so make sure to have proper footwear.