Pittock Mansion via Upper Macleay and Wildwood Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(239)
Macleay City Park

Pittock Mansion via Upper Macleay and Wildwood Trail is a 2.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Portland, Oregon that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and bird watching. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 518 feet Route Type: Loop

historic site

Not bad for a city trail I suppose, but no desire to do it again. So many trails in this area intersect that I don't know what trail I actually took. All I know is that I walked around the general area for a solid two hours, not that minded because its fairly pretty. The view from Pittock Mansion is, as they say, the best view of Portland. Thanks to covid the low emissions made Mt. Hood quite visible, which was a treat. The trail had a quite a few people on it for a weekday but that might also be due to the covid situation. I imagine this place is swarming on the weekends.

nice trail today.busy with folks and muddy but ok.

Hiked 3.17.20, busy, well marked-basically two loops involved. Gorgeous views from the mansion, which is closed, and a little snow around the parking lot!

This was a great hike with relatively gradual uphill stretches, but the mud made it difficult to manage. I was definitely worried about losing my footing at a couple points. I will definitely try this one again once things dry up a little bit-- not bad for winter in Oregon.

Muddy... bring extra shoes, towels to wipe dogs off, poles to help come down.

An easy, highly trafficked, trail in Forrest Park. We enjoyed a beautiful autumn hike on a dry, sunny, Portland day. The trail is well maintained and sinage is frequent & easy to follow. This route does involve about a half mile of vertical incline which gets you about 550 feet of elevation gain as you approach Pittock Mansion. There are benches along the way to take a rest as needed. For much of the year, the area around Pittock Mansion is windy & chilly, so bring extra layers. A must do for any avid Portland urban hiker and visitor alike.

Beautiful hike

Great clear trail to follow. Good for trail run or casual mini hike.

awesome hike this beautiful Friday morning. not a soul on the trail itself, until we got to the top at Pittock Mansion. there, a group of runners congregated and joined us to greet the sunrise. all in all, a pleasant hike. would definitely recommend to all age levels.

I would also rate it moderate . I like this hike but way too many rude people that have dogs off leash .

a beautiful hike amongst the trees. happy we went when it was dry! its steep and a great challenge. loved it!

Nice hike with husband, Godson and his girlfriend. Enjoyable on a great day! Would rate as a moderate hike, pleasant woods, not too scenic. Lots of flowers in season at the mansion.

Mon May 06 2019

Beautiful hike. I would rate it moderate. Path was well defined and a little rocky in a few spots. Good hike if you don't have a lot of time. Worth the time.

A nice easy trail. A bit of elevation here and there but nothing too extreme. A little slippery and rocky for running the day after rain.

Wed Apr 17 2019

beautiful trail! sad that the ruins have been defaced. I would say easy-moderate easier when it's dry I would think.

Sun Mar 10 2019

Be careful! The trail was dangerously muddy and slick today. We hiked up it and did okay despite the boot-wrecking mud, but on the way down two people in our party slipped and fell less than a minute into the climb down and since we were carrying babies on our backs, we decided to abandon plans and one person hiked down to get the car while the rest of us waited at the mansion. It did snow two days ago so be mindful of what the weather has been recently. Other than that... the trail is quite busy. Lots of folks. Lots of dogs. And follow the road for a long while. But the views at the top are unbeatable especially on a clear day. And the trail closer to the mansion has beautiful pristine forest that was breathtaking in the diffused sunlight. Parking was kinda crazy... and this was the off season; yikes. So, all in all, a hike I will do again mainly because of the "destination" at the top, but will certainly shoot to park somewhere else and go when I know the trail conditions are safer.

Sat Mar 09 2019

Mon Feb 25 2019

This was a great trail to hike! My fiancée and I hiked this trail while visiting Portland for a week. Although it was pretty cold and a bit drizzly, it was worth the climb up to the mansion. The trail itself is well marked all the way up to the mansion. The mansion itself was closed when we arrived but we were still able to walk around the premises along with quite a few other people. Very great views of Portland at the top. The incline on the trail was pretty gradual, so anyone can do this hike fairly easily but I’d rate this as moderate for most since it does go at an incline. The trail head can be accessed via the main road and there are places to park off the side of the road to get to the trail head. Overall, hiking on this trail was a great experience for my fiancée and I while visiting Portland! I’d definitely recommend this awesome trail along with the self guided tour of Pittock mansion!

Sun Feb 17 2019

Was actually 3.47 miles! Forgot to track

Sun Nov 11 2018

We loved that this trail was dog friendly, we went with our brother and sister in law and had a blast with our pups, we did wish it was a little longer though but it had a great location and went and had lunch afterwards since we were so close to everything! It did have a great view at the top overlooking Portland!

Wed Oct 17 2018

I'm only saying three stars because I'm not sure I'd necessarily use this trail again. It was easy to navigate, a little steep in some spots. There weren't a lot of exceptional scenic notes, although the trees themselves are pretty enough to look at. It was fun to wander the mansion grounds, though.

Mon Sep 17 2018

Easy hike, go early to avoid to many visitors. We left at 8: 30 and enjoyed the trail with about 15 hikers and a couple runner's.