Pinnacle Ridge Trail

Pinnacle Ridge Trail is a 6.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Hood, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from July until October.

This area had a forest fire than resulted in downed trees across the trail years ago. Unfortunately, the trail isn't maintained, so you have to climb over large trees and may lose the trail. The sign at the head of the trail says it's rated 'Moderate', but it is anything but. It is very difficult to navigate with extremely steep portions.
I consider myself to be in good shape, usually working out cardiovascularly in a gym 2x a week, tennis 1x a week, and yoga 2x a week and found this trail honestly, a nightmare. And at the top / end of the trail, there wasn't even a good view as a payoff!!!
I came back bruised, scratched, bitten (many biting fliers), dehydrated and muddy, as one section had an uncrossable mud pit-so don't wear your good hiking shoes.
I would say this trail is not as advertised - find one with at least a good view if you are gonna suffer this much.
I'd grade it a 'D', only because I love nature and it was a good workout. Bring OFF and tons of water and patience. Not fun.

Great route to Dollar Lake. We spent a night and went up Barrett Spur next day. Next time I'd plan 2 night to allow more time on the Spur. Barrett Spur is AMAZING! We had no trouble finding trail except in the meadow where it gets boggy. Trail crews must have removed falls.

Steep climb with lots of blown down trees to scramble over and make finding the trail a little taxing but Timberline is beautiful in either direction once you're there. Spent the night at Dollar Lake. Absolutely stunning backdrop of Mount Hound for my camp.

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Trail has not been maintained. Lots of trees down, trail was hard to follow. It was a cloudy and rainy day, and we lost the trail around 2 miles in and turned back.

Monday, October 15, 2012

Tough trail to find and a hard one to climb. Hiked through Dollar fire but once out the flowers were still looking good. There are two areas that are very wet even with our dry summer. One on the hillside is quite large but there is a trail around to your right just before you hit the muck. Didn't see the trail until on the way back down cutting through the brush. Wish we would have had just enough juice once we hit the Timberline Trail to check out Dollar Lake (go to the east and its suppose to be 1/4 mile to a marker on your right easy to miss).