Pilot Rock Trail

Pilot Rock Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ashland, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 810 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Relatively easy until last 1/2 mike when it starts getting steep. To scramble to the top of the rock takes a bit of rock climbing and is not great for those who are scared of heights. Know your limits!

This trail is.... amazing. The trail itself is beautiful and the climb up pilot rock is indescribable. I would recommend at least having another person if you plan to climb to the top. It is definitely doable for most people that aren’t squeamish. Views at the top are unparalleled. Also, drove to the trailhead in a Honda Civic so there’s that.

Short, Sweet, fun scramble. Confidence on the rocks is important.

Fantastic! Pretty easy until the rock. Quite a scramble but great payoff with beautiful views.

Took the family on this trail on 9-8-19. Start of the day was cloudy and cool. The hike up was moderate in difficulty. I’ve had 4 knee surgeries but made it with no problems. Trail is well kept and there was 10 or more groups coming and going. Overall great trail and beautiful valley views. We didn’t go to the top with the kids. Maybe another trip without them.

Nice scramble to the top. 8 year old made it, but was uncomfortable on the way down.

The road to the trail is rough, but doable in a vehicle with normal clearance. There is one washout on the left side as you’re going in that you’ll want to avoid. The trail is easy enough to follow, starting out at a reasonable incline and then moving to steeper switchbacks towards the end. Three stars is for the climb at the end. It is advertised as a scramble, but It is at least a 40 foot class III vertical climb up a seam that does not have the best handholds or footholds. Exposure is technically not bad, in that a fall at any point would likely only result in abrasions and possibly broken bones because each section has its own shelf that you’d land on. But this is by no means a casual scramble and you need to put serious thought into whether or not you can safely climb down as you’re considering the climb up.

This is a great trail with a great view if you can manage climbing to the top.

This is an absolutely amazing hike with an awesome view at the end. I highly recommend this hike though it’s not for those afraid of heights.

Excellent hike if you like rocky scrambles. Everyone won't summit this hike, there's a couple places you need to wedge between rocks. Great views of Shasta and Mt Ashland.

Great trail, very pretty. The last rock scramble to the top is a bit treacherous , especially going down mostly because of so many gravel like small rocks on hand and foot holds.

Great views on a clear day, a bit of a scramble once you’re near the top, I was on all fours for a bit of it, bring sturdy shoes. Lots of flowers out as well. Hiked on 6/1/19

Had a blast climbing up at the top!

Fun run up the trail, great up hills, great views everywhere. I went out today may 9, climbed to the top but someone pooped and littered up there. I grabbed some trash but tons of flies and I wasn’t brave enough to clean up the poop honestly and just went back down.

very cool short hike!

Nice easy hiking trail that leads to a challenging but very doable climb up to the top for amazing 360 views. Just take your time on the way up and down.

Nice and easy switchbacks give you fantastic views. the hand scramble up the chute can be a little off-putting because of let's steep and sharp rocks.

If you’re willing to climb through the crevasse to get to the top the view is amazing

As of 11/25/18, most of trail has snow with some patches of dirt. Fine most of the way until the trail starts climbing up the rock- it gets very icy. We ended up bailing partway up the scramble due to slippery black ice on many of the rocks and a fear of going back down; however, a group behind us kept going up so just depends on your own comfort level. Would be an easy/fun scramble without ice, we’ll definitely be back!

Pretty great hike. First 3/4 was quite basic. The last leg and the rock climb was a bit harder than anticipated. The last leg was the steepest, as you can see from the topographical map. The climb was a bit sketchy. Two puzzles (first was easy, second was a pain), then steep stairs with a lot of loose gravel, so be slow and steady.

Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Awesome day hike with a scramble to get to the peak. at the right time of year (late spring early summer) so many butterflies! One of my favorites!!

Wednesday, September 26, 2018

We didn't get to climb Pilot Rock as we were in the middle of a rain/hail storm, but we got pretty close and the whole way was beautiful! We saw bear on the trail that ran off when it saw us. Water was scarce.

Monday, August 27, 2018

OMG! I loved Pilot Rock!!! Pretty scary, though!! I really experimented so much fear when climbing up to the top, but it was refreshing, exciting! So much adrenaline!! I liked the views, but it was a little bit smoky and I didn’t completely enjoy that. I watched some videos in YouTube before we headed up, and that gave us the familiarity with the terrain and how to climb with confidence. I will recommend that if it is going to be your first time. Don’t let the scary comments hold you back on going. Some part of the road is not well maintained. The trail is not hard. We got lost in our way back because we missed the turn to the TH and we ended up in PCT trail for a while.