Petard Trail and Liz Trail Loop

Petard Trail and Liz Trail Loop is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Jacksonville, Oregon that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,000 feet Route Type: Loop

In 1989, alarmed by the prospect of development destroying the scenic wooded hillsides surrounding their National Historic Landmark City, the citizens of Jacksonville, Oregon rallied to form the non-profit Jacksonville Woodlands Association. During the past 2 decades the Woodlands Association has preserved 22 parcels of forested open space (320 acres) and has constructed 18 miles of connecting interpretive and recreational trails surrounding 70% of the town's historic district.

first 2 miles all uphill

Really wonderful trail to hike on, with alternating altitudes and vistas. Not a lot of wildlife seen, not even birds, but the flora makes up for it. Many stands of peeling madrones, ponderosa pine and manzanita clumps all around. Watch out for the abundant poison oak, which in this midsummer hike had turned a brilliant beautiful red. I wish the fire further north hadn’t ruined our views with its smoke, but the screening it provided cooled us off considerably. A few local folks around, but generally untrammeled. This day we were rewarded at the end of the trail with a lovely symphony, courtesy of the Britt orchestra.

Nice wide trails. Although there was enormous amounts of poison oak in the underbrush, the plants were easy to avoid.. All trails in these woodlands seem to intercept. Very beautiful hike.

Overall this is a nice hike. It’s kinda easy to get lost even though there are trail markers. We did Petard trail which does not feature a river as stated in the description. We went on a Sunday and saw a few other hikers but mostly we were in solitude which is one of the things that I enjoy about a hike.

very quite and easy fun and child friendly. dogs okay with leashes

good trail run. some steep spots and then you're rewarded with some downhill and pretty scenery

Saturday, August 25, 2018

Great trail in an incredible area to hike in. Hiked too much today and my phone died. Hate it when that happens. Was able to charge it before I did the next trail in Grants Pass. Hats off to the Jacksonville Woodlands Assoc!!! A truly great place to hike.

Friday, August 24, 2018

Great trail!! My GSD and I went hiking on the Petard trail and had loads of fun!

Saturday, August 18, 2018

I hike this trail several times a year it is easy, but there are a few steep sections. There isn't much if any snow during the winter which makes it an excellent place to hike when other places are snowed in. A couple if years ago while hiking the trail there was a rattlesnake that buzzed at my dog on the edge of the trail. Beware if you are hiking with children. That was the only time I saw a rattlesnake but I have heard them a few times.

Sunday, June 24, 2018

The trail system is behind the Britt grounds. It's across the highway if you park by the library. Wildflowers are everywhere early spring. Watch for poison oak in summer! It's a nice mix of hills and flat.

Friday, June 08, 2018

Good short hike

Monday, April 09, 2018

The trail is nicely wooded, as mentioned before, it is next to the highway so you will hear some traffic noise, overall I would hike this again!

Wednesday, March 14, 2018

The directions to the trails are bad. Never did see the river but it was pleasant. The Panoramic Viewpoint was nice.

Monday, January 29, 2018

Directions took me to a cemetery... I don't know if I just missed it or my directions weren't working but I wasted 30 minutes of my time and gas. Never had this happen before.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Really pretty view from the top of panoramic view/trail (I think that’s the name). There are a bunch of trails we went to a couple different ones. If you donate 50cents you can get a super informative pamphlet. I believe the price is to assist in maintaining the park so if you take one I think it’s only right to donate! Anyways, it’s a super easy trail, a couple uphill but many downhill and flat areas. I would definitely recommend this trail, it has an awesome view and is very shaded. Watch out for ticks! My dog got one in her armpit so make sure to check your clothing and body as well as your pets.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Easy to get too with some really pretty views. A couple steep parts but a rest in there and you'll do just fine. Perfect for kids.

Monday, July 17, 2017

Nice trail, good for kiddos. My boys are 5 and 7, they did great.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

good for beginners but not kid friendly. my 6 year old would not have been able to hike these hills. but a great place for me to work out, unfortunately not mountain pretty enough though.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

By far my favorite get away place.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Would be great if it didn't run along a major road. The road noise ruined it. But it's great for locals to take a walk or for anyone who wants an easy trail run.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Love it For

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

also cr 8il unusual iigt

Friday, May 26, 2017

nice easy trail. Took my dog with me. dog waste bags provided on trail. beautiful shady creek areas and some fun little informational boards for interesting spots.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Excellent place for a stroll through the hills!

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

We walked the Shade Creek trail and it was very nice, shaded, cool, pretty and easy.

Saturday, May 06, 2017

It is easy and good for the hole family.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Love hiking this area and the beautiful scenery

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Love this area!!!

Friday, March 31, 2017

Easy to find. Many different trails springing from one parking area. Different difficulty levels. Something for everyone.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

This trail was really pretty, took a couple of hours to complete, and had a nice variety of nature, but we were pretty disappointed that you could hear the sounds from the busy road nearby the majority of the trail. It definitely took away from our enjoyment of the scenery to hear cars rushing by.