Pilot Rock via the PCT is a 8.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ashland, Oregon that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,040 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

icy

Great hike! I tracked this at just barely 10 miles on my Apple watch. The weather was perfect, light traffic on the PCT, it rained last night so parts of the trail was muddy, but it was a beautiful day and an excellent hike!

My wife, dog and I very much enjoyed this hike. The trail was in great condition and very few hikers mid week, most of which were PCT hikers. My wife considers this one of the best hikes she’s done.

Mon Apr 01 2019

Great hike when the conditions are right, be prepared to hike in foot or more deep snow for 80% of the trail. Really slows your pace down. Bring snow shoes.

Mon Oct 15 2018

absolutely stunning hike! so conveniently close to Ashland. the scramble is a little nerve wracking but 110% worth it for the view at the top! This is my new favorite hike!

Fri Aug 17 2018

The view on top of Pilot Rock is amazing. I had no experience in rock climbing when I did this but I had friends who helped me get to the top. It's pretty scary but was well worth the hard work. There's also tons of bugs at the top that will be all over you. Make sure to bring non-slip shoes!

Sat Jun 23 2018

Great hike but I was by myself and I didn’t feel comfortable with the final climb to the top. Incredible views of Mt Shasta if you follow the trail at the base of the vertical rock and head right.

Sat Jun 09 2018

Quiet, beautiful trail that ends in a steep switchback up to the peak. Very well marked.

Tue Jun 05 2018

Moderate hike until the switchbacks going up pilot rock. For us it was a 10 mile round trip hike. Took about 4 hours. Like how easy it was to get to PCT trailhead.

Mon Feb 26 2018

did this one twice. take a good car with good tires to get to the head. poped a tire on my way down.

Fri Jan 05 2018

Did this in the fall. Didn’t do the scramble because I have no rock climbing background. The switchbacks heading up to the rock are pretty steep. Great workout. Peaceful hike.

Mon Dec 04 2017

Great hike in and out with a lot of nice views and different terrain variations. Also a good distance for a day hike.

Mon Jul 31 2017

The phenomenal view of the Rogue Valley- to the North & Mt. Shasta- to the south, make the hike, well worth it! I consider myself to be in good physical shape and it made me stop for a breath once or twice- definitely a calorie burner and lung expander

Sun Jul 30 2017

There was some nice terrain variations and great views.

Fri Jul 28 2017

I loved this trail! Although the summer may have been a better time, the hike is worth it just for the view!

Mon Jul 10 2017

Awesome trail!

Mon Jun 05 2017

If you're planning on hiking Pilot Rock, do yourself a favor and take this route. It's much longer and more worthwhile than starting at the PR Trailhead - which is only 2 miles round trip.

Fri May 12 2017

Nice hike. Beautiful view from on top of Pilot.

Sat Apr 22 2017

Must for visiting or living in Ashland. My 8.5 year old accompanied me for this more challenging hike to pilot rock. Loved every minute of it and saw snow still melting off the mountains.

Sat Apr 08 2017

Not a bad hike to the rock. Relatively easy scramble to the top (a little girl was doing it). 360 view on a clear day of Shasta, McLaughlin, Ashland, and the region.

Mon Feb 20 2017