Paradise Park Trail

Paradise Park Trail is a 13.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Government Camp, Oregon that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 13.6 miles Elevation Gain: 3,510 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Sandy: Travel east on Highway 26 4.1 miles past Rhododendron to Road 2639. Turn left on 2639 and follow it for 1.2 miles to a sign indication Paradise Park Trail #778. Turn left, cross a bridge and travel about 200 feet to the trailhead. Alternatively, do the loop from Timberline lodge on the PCT.

We made it about 4.5 miles postholing until we were unable to go any further. You definitely need snowshoes if you want to do this trail. We opted not to because we hate them. Around 4.4 miles, a lot of fallen trees to cross over. Snow was about 18" deep. We postholed up to our knees but sometimes fell to our waists. We never made it out of the treeline unfortunately.

Great Trail, views on top, fun and diverse forrest hiking below. however about a mile of it (below the pct intersection) is covered with fallen trees, rendering it almost impassable. I only used it to descend, but oncoming hikers i met confirmed that it's impossible to get past them when going up. in case you want to do this trail, do it descending only and bring a certain degree of fitness - lots of pulling yourself up, stepping across and balancing on top of fallen trunks is required for that bit. Try to access the top bits of the trial via zigzag canyon / pct or via zig zag mountain instead of hiking up the trail until the trees are cleared. Overall, enjoyful tho. 4/5 bc i ripped my favorite hiking pants while ducking under the fallen trees.

Tuesday, September 04, 2018

Def major tree blockage. Otherwise a pretty trail. We decided to turn back after battling through for a quarter of a mile. Did not make it to link up with PCT.

Monday, September 03, 2018

Only reason it doesn’t get a 5 star is because yes, it is still impassible within about 1/2 a mile from intersecting with 775. Although disappointing to get so close, amazing views on the way - deep forest to canyon ridge overlooking beauty as far as the eye can see. Take Hidden Lake Trail to connect with PCT to Paradise Park Loop Trail.

Sunday, July 22, 2018

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

DO NOT GO INTO PARADISE PARK FROM HERE!! USE THE TIMBERLINE TRAIL! IMPASSABLE DUE TO TREE FALL! My friend and I did traverse through the mess. Took about an hour to get a quarter mile!

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Trail blocked- lots of annoying flies

Sunday, July 16, 2017

As of 7/15/17 trail blocked by down trees about 5 miles in.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Too many people up until Zigzag river. i thought the PCT part was sort of boring. Paradise park was gorgeous. I will definitely go back next year. Some people complained about the bugs but I brought bug spray and it wasnt that bad.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

awesome hike.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

The best view of my Hood up close. The soil is very sandy at some points and has many ups and downs. Well worth it. So... it's was nice to have my dirtygirlgators.com on my shoes to keep the sand and trail out and my hiking poles made the inclines easy!

Friday, March 09, 2012

This is one of my favorite trails on Mt. Hood. The first 45 minutes are a grueling uphill climb until it levels out a little. Evergreen, rhododendron, and bear grass line the trail. Its an amazing view once you reach the cliffs looking toward lost lake and highway 26. I have seen people and horses on this trail in the heat of summer, but in very small numbers. Many people come up to this area to forage for mushrooms in the fall.

Friday, August 27, 2010

It was a nice hike. If it was busy it would have been hard to park, but no one else was there.

Monday, July 02, 2018