Pamelia Lake Trail

Pamelia Lake Trail is a 4.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Idanha, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

To get here take Hwy 22 63 miles east of Salem/I-5. Turn left on Pamelia Road and keep right at all forks. You will hit the parking area in about 4 miles.

Unsure of why exactly this trail is rated as difficult, the hike leading to Pamelia Lake specifically is pretty laid back. This was my first solo day-hike, maybe it's difficult with backpacking gear. Elevation gain is very minimal and spread nicely throughout the ~2.5 miles to the destination. Maybe I just went at a good time in the season. I did this beautiful hike 2 days ago after learning that the Whitewater trailhead to Jefferson was blocked off due to a fire. Evidence of that fire was definitely clear, I could smell smoke during the hike and I could see it like hazy fog over the lake/surrounding mountains. Pamelia lake is so relaxing, I didn't get the chance to do the Grizzly Peak or Hunt's Creek trailheads but I will definitely be back soon with my friends! Lots of butterflies.

Took a Saturday and went up there. Hiking was great however fishing not so much. Hard to gain access to lake because of thick and down vegetation. Based on pictures looks like lake was high and is usually lower than what we experienced. Those who have a small raft or waders may have a better shot. Spoke with local who had been coming up there for many many years and said lake is not stocked therefore fish populations declining rapidly.
Overalls awesome hike and scenery but bummer on the fishing

The road off 22 to get the to the trailhead was in much better shape than expected. Great, relaxing hike. Forest Ranger was roping off sections of the Lake to allow for habitat restoration. Hike only had snow the last 1/2 mile or so to the lake, hardback, minimal post-holing.

Beautiful hike even with the bit of snow still left in the trail. Highly recommended for families.

About 75% of the trail still has snow, makes it a little harder walking, but certainly manageable. Especially on a clear sunny day like today when I was dying for the view at Pamelia Lake. It was stunning!

Easy hike- just did this on 11/17- the snow on the trees was incredible!!

Monday, October 10, 2016

We hiked in 10/09/2016 and added Grizzly Peak - both are well maintained, low-traffic trails. The reason I'm giving two stars are the BEES - we had 6 people and everyone (including the dogs) got stung 2 or more times, and this was over the course of the entire hike. If you go just take precaution!

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Monday, July 11, 2016

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

The hike was GREAT!

However the warned of the fact that you need to have a permit only available in advance from recreation.gov additionally you have to get a parking permit in advance as well.

This is a limited entry area (fines up to $250)

All that is stuff I wish I had known before going up there.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Loved the old forest. Easy trail to Pamelia Lake. In 2015 the lake was dried up and surrounded by the mud left behind, but still enjoyed the hike.

Thursday, October 08, 2015

A great hike with my dog.

Monday, September 14, 2015

Pamelia Lake water level is low but enjoyable. Only stopped for 20 mins before pushing on. The last 2.5 miles to Hunts Cove is very steep and slow. Trail is getting over grown through the upper portions. Stayed at Hunts Lake for 2 nights because the fishing was better than Hanks Lake.