Oregon Coast Trail to Neahkahnie Mountain

Oregon Coast Trail to Neahkahnie Mountain is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Neahkahnie Beach, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2047 feet

old growth

Hike to the top of this coastal peak for terrific views over the Paciific. This tall peak on the northern Oregon coast has a great views out over the pacific from a viewpoint at the top.

perfect short, but long enough hike. Very muddy in winter. One switchback is a bit confusing. Downed tree hides the switchback and people just go straight and walk down the other trail away from the peak.
otherwise some light rock climbing (no trail, just rock type steps) to summit. Great view if no clouds. so so if rainy and foggy. Nice flowers in spring and summer.

Definitely slightly more challenging that we were expecting. The views are insane if there isn’t any cloud coverage.

The view from the top was beautiful, but extra windy considering we hiked in between rain storms. It’s easy to get lost on this trail, so make sure to follow the white spray painted tree markers. Our group plus a few others we ran into also got lost and it was a bit scary at times.

We started at the South Trail trailhead and intended to hike to the crest and return. Missed the turn to the crest and turned around when it was clear we had missed it. We decided to hike up the coast trail to the ocean and enjoyed it. Spectacular view from mountain crest.

Absolutely gorgeous coastal view from the top. Would definitely recommend starting early - we had the summit to ourselves, and by the time we got back to our van the car park was packed.

It takes about 15-40 minutes to get to the top from the beginning trailhead. That's if you're running, briskly hiking. There is a slight scramble

So, I may be unhappy because the view was foggy up top. I was immediately confused about where the trail ( remained) after about 3 miles up, and couldn't find a decent view. I could've easily mistaken the trail since it was my first time.

Wonderful! I wish I knew for sure that I wasn't running through poison oak, but that's my own fault for not looking it up earlier. I don't think there was any on the trail actually. But, I was worrying about it the first third since it was such heavy trailer coverage.

Tough hike for someone who is very out of shape, but it was soooo worth it. Absolutely beautiful all the way up. And the view at the top was breathtaking!

Great hike, perfect view at the top of the rocks. There will be a lot of people there. Hopefully no one answers their phone and proceeds to take a business call when you're up there, because I had the misfortune of having to deal with that. "Oh hey yeah I'm at the top of a mountain lol so anyways I think we can get a higher offer."

We parked at Oswald West above the ocean then did the north approach starting at Short Sands Beach (perfectly stunning beach on a bluebird day). Lotsa roots and rocks but trekking poles made a big difference. The hike itself was not crowded but it was surprising to reach the top and find a dozen or more people hanging and taking selfies with that world class view. The going up from the north took me about 1:45 but my hubby coulda done it in an hour if he wasn't waiting on me. Then coming down the south side it was over before I knew it. Maybe 40". Much easier and shorter. Maybe about 6+ miles total. He left me with the dogs and bummed a ride back to the car. Great hike. Great day. Now it's time for a beer.

Disappointed. Short walk to much down trees along path. To foggy, need to go on a clear day if you want to see great views.

A decent trail with a decent view at the top. Wear long pants if you don't like plants brushing up on your legs. Be careful of roots and mud if you are running the trail. It's a quick one to do if you are visiting the beach. If you don't want to walk from the beach you can drive on hwy 101 and enter trail from highway.

Great hike amongst the trees. Wanted to do the North startup point, but it was a bit hard to find along 101when your driving past view pullouts. Even drove past the south entrance, but a friend just happen to see it. They're pretty hard to spot. Driving in a fee 100ft until you actually see cars parked off to the side. Back to the hike. Incline hike right from the start. The path is a decent width, but there are a few areas that are pretty slim with only room for 1 person at a time. Be very cautious in these areas when its been raining. The path is straight forward until you hit a wide break point with a path to the right and left. Just make sure to follow the arrow tacked on the tree to guide you correctly. As you get to the top, the path to the very top is not marked nor does it stand out. A steep path up is next to where hikers tend to rest and soak in a partial view. The top view isn't as wide as i thought it would be so it can be tight if there are too many ppl there at once. This trail will continue to lead you to the north entrance. If you do continue, just know that you will have to have a vehicle waiting for you at that end as well, or prepare yourself to hike back to get back to the south entrance. I would definitely do this hike again. Hopefully on a more clear day to see the whole coastal line. Either way its still a great hike in nature.

Great trail. We did the south trail. But there's no page for that one. Pretty meadow then to forest view. Then more deep forest with less plants. Kind of a steep rock climb at the end to the top. Made me a little nervous but my fear of heights has worsened ha!

Giving the trail itself 3 stars, but it's a 5 star view at the top! We took the long route which ended in almost 11 miles. Definitely a long hike up but the view was amazing. Very muddy trail and lots of nat's. The very top of the hike is a very rocky point so be careful and enjoy!

Oregon Hikers mentions a "pedestrian path" on 101 to get back to your car depending on which side you started on. There is NOT...only a shoulder, that's very thin in some places and very dangerous around the blind curves. We turned back and figured we'd just hike back in reverse to safely get back to our car but luckily we met a couple at the south entrance that graciously drove us back to the north entrance.

Beautiful!! Definitely wear boots, it's muddy.

Monday, December 19, 2016

Good hike great view. The trail wasn't too crowded but the view point was

Thursday, September 15, 2016