Oregon Coast Trail: Arch Cape to Manzanita

Oregon Coast Trail: Arch Cape to Manzanita is a 11.1 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Arch Cape, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, mountain biking, and backpacking and is best used from March until October.

Point to Point

beach

We backpacked part of the trail to Devil's Cauldron in a day. It was a beautiful hike with great lookouts over the coast along the way. The trail was definitely overgrown in some sections but I hiked the whole thing in my tevas and was fine. I just recommend avoiding shorts. The trail was easy to follow despite a few downed trees. We stealth camped at Devil"s Cauldron and set up our hammocks a little ways up from the viewpoint. We had no problems with bugs although a critter did manage to eat through the ziplock bags our food stash was in. We decided to call it quits at Devil's Cauldron in the morning because we weren't interested in hiking on the shoulder of highway 101 for a mile and a half. All in all it was a great experience and would definitely recommend.

Just completed a short 2 day backpacking trip on this great section of the OCT. The views were amazing and every mile it seemed like we were in a different forest.

The path is still a bit muddy and the trail is overgrown in some sections. I would recommend pants for this hike.

If you don’t want to stealth camp along the trail, we stayed at the Nehalem Bay State Park hiker biker camp. It was quiet and had god amenities. It’s about a mile and a half south of downtown Manzanita.

I would also recommend hiking to the top of Neahkahnie mountain. It adds some miles and a lot of vertical, but the views are well worth it.

One of the most beautiful sections of the OCT. Consider a stealth camp near Devils Cauldron. That’s what I did on my recent NB hike. Nobody bothered me in the elk meadows and Short Sands is only about 2 miles away with water and restrooms/trash. I easily made it to Ecola hiker/biker by the next night even though I had planned on a stealth camp further north by Arch Cape. See Photos!

Just hiked part of this trail (Arch Cape to Short Sand Beach) with my wife yesterday and it was amazing. View from westmost part of Cape Falcon is a classic scenery but my favourite spot was to the north overlooking Arch Cape. Forest changes wildly throughout the course of this trail and it’s fantastic observe it as it happens. Although we did run into a few muddy patches, vast majority of the trail was dry but still fairly challenging. Carefull though, after you start descending from the peak on the trail about 4 miles into the hike, there are fallen trees that block the trail. It’s easy to get off the trail - it is to the right side looking downhill.

We backpacked this trail and finished in two days total. We went early May and the weather was perfect. Some of the trail is overgrown and there are multiple patches of mud. If you wear a breathable long sleeve tee, pants and reliable hiking shoes, you should be good to go.
There are very few spots to set up camp if you’re planning on staying overnight, however Short Sands beach is strict about no overnight camping, so don’t plan on staying there. Follow the small blue markers for the Oregon Coast Trail. At the end, we hiked hwy101 and skipped Neahkahnie Mountain.

Be prepared for mud! Great hike though. Kicked our butts. Loved the breaks of scenery.

Just did this section hike of the Oregon Coast Trail on Spring Break - was super fun, but also pretty challenging! Tons of roots to watch out for, and was SUPER muddy this time of year (though others we talked to said that parts of this trail are always muddy). Was overgrown out around Cape Falcon, and we must have been some of the earlier hikers through this area, because there were multiple trees blown down across the path that caused us to do a little "ad libbing" over and around them. Muddiest section of the path was after Cape Falcon and into Short Sands, probably because that path is more used. Awesome views, super cool forests, and you can stop at Short Sands for a beach break if you want. Be warned, the hike up out of Short Sands on the Elk Flats trail is super steep right away, levels off in the middle, and then is steep again up to Hwy 101. You can choose to do the hike up and over Neah-Kah-Nie Mountain if you want once you reach the end of the Elk Flats trail at 101, but we were too beat to do it, so we skipped the Mountain and hiked on the road until we got to Neah-Kah-Nie Meadows, where we walked through (steep) neighborhood streets to get to Manzanita.