Opal Creek Trail

Opal Creek Trail is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Elkhorn, Oregon that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

A walk along an old road and an opportunity to explore a mining operation abandoned over a century ago.

This is definitely not a hike as much as it is a walk. Enjoyed it nonetheless! I give it a 4-star for the historical element. 3-star for the hike itself. I strongly suggest doing the loop The trail on the other side of the creek is fun!

Amazing! Need to do more hikes!

Took two lady friends out for light hike with a Chihuahua. I thought it'd be quick 3 hour hike, but turned out to be 2 hours one way at leisurely pace taking pictures and going at a pace of a little dog, who was a trooper and didn't rest once!

Most of the hike trail is wide open gravel road, scenery two spots were stop worthy but rest not so exciting. Great for walking dogs and children, and lodge area is for children and expect heavy traffic when they are present. Overall I just had my leg day so it was nice hike to talk and have quality time together without it being exhausting.

At the end few nice areas to relax, eat food, and chill. Please make sure to pack and bring back everything you've brought. Trash is at the gate only. It was clean and I'd like to see it continually maintained as such.

Awesome day for a hike... very few people on the trail. Lots of water and beautiful vegetation.

I thought the actual hike was a 3-star. It was easy and basically a gravel road the whole way, but remember it is 6-1/2 miles so be sure to wear appropriate shoes. Also, don't start the hike late in the day. We saw people starting at 4-5:00, which I don't recommend. We started at 11:00 and were there all day.
The forest is pretty with blankets of moss, which we thought were beautiful, but pretty much the same for the entire hike.
The waterfalls and pools were beautiful and I would give those destinations a 5 star.
I thought the large falls 1/2 way in were much more spectacular then Opal Pool!! Bring a bite to eat while sitting at the falls.

I love the trail. Easy hike and the water is beautiful. The road up on the other hand sucks!!! There's a few miles of potholes and when I say that I mean potholes EVERYWHERE! Worth driving up one time probably not again though