Opal Creek Trail

Opal Creek Trail is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Elkhorn, Oregon that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Beginning at the Opal Creek Trailhead, this hike is on a gravel road through an old-growth forest of cedar trees. This trail takes you over a high bridge to the opal pool and you can loop around and go back through Jawbone Flats which is a fun little historic town to see. It is a great walk along an old road and an opportunity to explore an old mining operation abandoned over a century ago in this ancient forest. There are several little trail junctions that veer off the main trail that lead to swimming holes. Along the way you can also see Slide Falls and Sawmill Falls. This is a popular trail so do not expect to have place to yourself. Camping and parking are regulated due to the popularity of the site.

1 hour ago

Start early. There are a ton of people on this trail. Also it is more like a road than a trail. It was something fun to check out, but I doubt I will do this hike again.

One of my favorite places. A must see and explore!

Absolutely beautiful!!

So beautiful!

Absolutely beautiful scenery. The water is amazingly clear with green pools. The trail is well maintained. I have not hiked in a long time, and just getting back into shape so I found this to be quite the workout. I agree with others that there are a lot of other hikers on this trail.

This was a great hike. At no point is it super demanding but it still makes you work here and there...and EVERYTHING is just stupid beautiful up there. If you take the bridge to the trail on the opposite side of the creek be sure you have some sturdy shoes...i was in trail runners and my feet still took a little bit of a beating. I will second the advice...go during the week. we thought we got up there pretty early on a Friday and there were still a fair number of cars in the parking lot and on our way back out a steady stream of people were starting to show up...this is a popular place and with good reason.

I really enjoyed this hike. The water is an amazing blue green and there are many pools to take a swim in. A little too cold yet, but will be going back. Weekends are very busy. If you like solitude you will not find it here during peak times. Definitely worth a trip out, but likely better during the week.

Hiked this with my younger brother, and I must say that it was very pleasant. Easy and was just plain enjoyable. Definitely bringing more people with us next time.

This is a long but easy hike that is great for dogs and small children. We went all the way to Opal Pool and it ended up being about 8.5 miles round trip. My kiddos are both under 6 and they did a great job. They were tired at the end and fell asleep immediately. Bring snacks for sure. Not the most strenuous workout but beautiful and enjoyable.

*Road has been repaired. Must nicer than previous trips out here.

most beautiful place ive ever been

It’s a nice walk for a hot sunny day! Can’t wait to come back to swim here.
On an off note it was insanely busy... sunny Saturday .. weekend ... bad time to go! Have went during the week before though and it was so peaceful.

**potholes have been fixed so the gravel road to the trail head is in awesome shape!

Really easy day hike! Beautiful river views

The hike to opal creek trail was mainly a gravel road. After about 2 miles there is a bridge on the right hand side of the trail. If you take this path its more of a hiking trail - had some steep sections where you need to watch your footing. This trail wound its way to Opal pool and then you can loop back onto the gravel road to your car. Went today and we had the place to ourselves, only saw 3 other people...and no one at all at Opal Pools... The water is gorgeous and clear - which is great for a swim. Marking it a 3 star hike because of the gravel road most of the hike.

Beautiful trails and the water is gorgeous

Went all the way there and saw the parking lot with about 30 cars, stopped and turned right around. Not my kind of hiking I prefer only a couple people on the trail not a crowded zoo. Tuned around and hiked henline mountain trail instead. Much better

Nice area but was already kind of busy. I can only imagine how it is in summer...

The only reason I gave it four stars was due to getting to the trail head. If you love to rough up your vehicle then by all means travel the last 5 miles up there early spring with pot holes the size of a car. BUT! Totally worth it. The pools and streams where beautiful and still recommend the hike

The water here is the prettiest blue to turquoise.

Couldn’t get my sportwagen through the snow today unfortunately but looks like a beautiful area! Going to try again in a month or so

Such a great hike! So many beautiful pools to stop at. Also a good place to go backpacking. I’ve been twice and plan on going again later this spring.

Always a beautiful hike! One of our favorites

This is one of my favorite hikes! I typically cross the first bridge to take the trail on the opposite side of the creek then come back through Jawbone Flatts and on the road. It’s a pretty easy hike :)

This place is amazing! So much to see and do! Crystal clear water. Multiple falls and the pools. Wow!

As many people mention, this hike is on a gravel road. To be honest, I would rate it easy until you go to the pools. If you choose to take the path from the pools back down to the bridge it is hard! Lots of rocks and water on the trail (late fall) plus if you go this route it is closer to 8 or 8.5 miles than 6.5 miles. I usually hike in goretex runners. My feet were sore from all the scrambling.

Giving it a 4 because the waterfalls and pools, cool old equipment. vehicles and town are truly amazing!! I didn't like the slow gravely road to the trail head and I wouldn't classify it as a hike. More of a long walk on a gravel road until you hit the town and hike to the pools.
If you haven't been you should check it out though, with the exception of the weekends being extremely congested...Summer and early fall are best time to go!

Beautiful crystal clear waters.

My new “favorite” place

Great easy hike! About half is more of a paved path.

Easy walk and pretty water. Little old town on the way there too.

Very easy and beautiful trail along the crystal clear river, cold but great swimming pools.