Opal Creek to Jawbone Flats Loop

Opal Creek to Jawbone Flats Loop is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Elkhorn, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and nature trips and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

historic site

7 minutes ago

The trail is mainly on gravel. There is a fork in the trail with a mile marker sign posting information about (left) Jawbone Flats/Education Center and (right) Opal Pool. I went both ways and I highly recommend the trail on the right since it's much more beautiful and the trail is on red dirt. The miles of the entire trail is inaccurate because it depends on where you're going (Opal Creek swimming holes, Jawbone Flats, Old Mining area, Opal Pool). My friend, my dog and I hiked all over and ended this hike packing ten miles in our legs. Wear durable, waterproof hiking shoes. Your feet will thank you.

Easily one of the most beautiful areas in Oregon but (there’s always a but) the crowds have gotten astronomically larger over the years. If you can go on a weekday then you’ll find respite from the lake parties. Just know that you’ll likely still spend a significant portion of the day finding and picking up other people’s trash.

Loved the hike only reason not a 5 is because it’s so crowded! Did I last weekend of June 2018.

Such a beautiful and relaxing hike!

Beautiful hike! We arrived early and ran into two people until we were on our way back, haha. Gentle inclines and stunning views. This trail just made me happy. Be forewarned that there has been cougar sightings recently, so ensure you are safely prepared.

Awesome trail

Stunning views. Crowded as a result! ;) worth it at least once! We logged 9.5 miles on my step counter app total.

The walk up the gravel road to get to jawbone flats had uneven sharp gravel thoughout glad I did not bring my small tender footed pup!

Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend... we arrived by 8am and had a great hike. Went via the road to Jawbone Flats then returned via the loop by Opal Pool (which is a more difficult and smaller trail, but lovely views). By the time we got back to the roadway on the return, it was a super-highway of people! We counted 132 cars when we left. It took us about 4 hours, leisurely pace, 6.5 miles.

I love this hike. This is my third time doing it and I swear the water gets bluer each time. Smile on my face the whole time. A must do for sure!

The water was so beautiful. The hike was pretty easy, even with three kids. The crowds of people were definitely a turn off, though. I’d go again, but very early in the morning.

Absolutely stunning hike. Although the 6.6 miles is not entirely accurate , from the start of the trailhead to the finish it's over 8. But the hike is stunning all the way to the falls which are indescribable. The drive that's unpaved though is TERRIBLE ( full of potholes) so be prepared with a good vehicle!

The water and waterfalls are beautiful!

Did this trail last summer. Great for beginners, since it's fairly flat. Definitely a popular trail though, lots of people, kids, dogs, groups playing music, ect.
The old mine town is very cool and the waterfalls and pools are so beautiful, that it was well worth the crowds.

Beautiful trail in west central Oregon. There are waterfalls along the hike, plus an old mine and mining town toward the end of the loop. Highly recommend.

This is one I enjoy several times a year. I cannot seem to get enough of the opal creek ancient forest. I consider myself a keeper of the forest and I am always amazed at the beauty of this hike and the surroundings. Respect the forest and leave no trace.

Nice easy hike with some great scenery!! Clearest water and pools I’ve ever seen!! A little snow sticking on the sides of the trail but still in very good condition for now. Definitely one to do again!

This hike is great! You take the opal creek trail head out and add on a little loop through the old, historic, quaint town of Jawbone Flats. I definitely recommend!